XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

iSimple Bluetooth FM bypass modulator install w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 06:27 AM
Received 71 Likes on 33 Posts
Default iSimple Bluetooth FM bypass modulator install w/pics

Besides shelling out 600$ for a fiber optic converter, there isn't any practical way of getting AUX in. After some initial research I decided to give the iSimple IS2351 a try.
Mid 2000 porsche owner have the same issue as us (MOST optical audio system) and many have used this same module. It runs around 60-70$ and is available online (amazon etc).

The unit works by plugging in-line with the antenna on back of the radio, and bypassing the signal directly to your phone's bluetooth. The unit also has a call button included that allows you to answer your phone hands-free, or begin music playback/skip to the next song.

I've read a few other people's impressions of FM bypass modulators on this forum so I was admittedly a bit skeptical. However The quality is as good as any other audio input. No distortion or static whatsoever.

Install is very straightforward; you only need to tap into a power source, run the call button and microphone and thats it.

Below is an overview of the install

Once you remove the center console (4 T30 screws, 2 in rear once you pull rear vent assembly out, and 2 below wood trim) You can easily get to the screws holding the Nav/Radio unit in.

On the radio plug are 2 wires - Yellow/Red (+12V Ign) and Black (Gnd) which can be used. (Bottom right)

Here's the front of the plug

Here are the connections to be made. The red and black power the unit, the pink and black are for the hands free button

Next step was soldering up the power wires. I'm OCD when it comes to wiring, so I de-pinned both wires and soldered them, then slide some shrink tubing around each connection.

final pic of the unit tucked away

The only thing i didn't picture was the routing of the microphone, which I simply clipped on the ashtray and tucked the wires behind it.

It's a very straightforward install and definitely worth the 60$. This unit is real slick and works very well.

Cheers!

Last edited by stham; 06-14-2017 at 06:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
roadrun67 (07-02-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried and failed to fit an iSimple at the weekend, I'm convinced the unit was a dud. I have a different unit arriving today so I'm gonna tackle it again this weekend. I was taking power from the lighter socket but I'll maybe try the stereo from your images.
Very helpful. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:05 AM

I would just make sure you are tapping into a 12V with ignition and a functional ground. Use a multimeter before you start wiring anything; thats what I did here.

A wiring diagram would've been helpful but I just logically assumed the larger wires to the radio were +12V batt +12V ign and gnd, which they were.

The one issue i am experiencing currently is that the APP doesnt seem to work on my phone.. it says the device cant be detected even while I am playing music through it

Old 06-14-2017, 04:00 PM

Thanks. A wiring diagram would be really helpful but I've not found anything I've been able to make heads or tails of.

I'm pretty sure I've been plumbing into a 12v ignition live but I'm just going to copy your wiring this second time.

I'm not fitting the bluetooth version so, for me, once it's in it should be a simple case of plug and play. Did you get the Bluetooth detection working?

My phone is going to sit in a cradle all the time anyway so I figured it might as well be wired into the iSimple.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:24 AM

The issue with the App was specific to my phone. I installed the app on my iPad and was able to tune the radio station just fine.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this looks interesting! Thanks for posting the information. I just ordered an ISimple IS2351 and hope to install it over the weekend following your instructions.

Where did you button end up in the final installation? Can it be mounted with sticky-back tape? I'm thinking on the horizontal ledge just to the right of where the key is located.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

I have the i2351 for 14 months and am very happy with its function and performance. As for the button, I mounted it inside the vertical wall of the central console where I can see and have easy access. However, you will need very strong double-sided tape to keep it in place.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:06 AM

I mounted my button on the side of the center console on the driver side, right next to the cup holder. It's very convenient to reach, and isnt prominently shown.

After driving with it a few days I'm extremely pleased with this device

Old 06-18-2017, 08:40 AM
Received 180 Likes on 101 Posts

Is there not bluetooth already in the 06 and later (x356, x358) models?

Old 06-19-2017, 10:55 AM

The only bluetooth was optional and for phone use only.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did an install similar to STHAM as above in the photos. Worked out well - the sound quality is very good and it is certainly worth the money.

Don't forget that for these radios you'll need an adapter to make the radio antenna connection work. I got
this one this one
off of Amazon and it worked well.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:29 AM

^ Thanks for mentioning that. You do need the Euro Antenna adapter to use with this module. I bought the same kit off amazon.

I figured I'd follow up after using this device a few weeks. It has been excellent so far, the phone call quality is excellent and the device auto connects everytime without issue. After that, a simple click on the button and music plays
This is an excellent solution to those who do not want to spend 600$ on the Jaguar ACM.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:23 PM

I eventually got mine installed. Mine is the iSimple IS31. I figured it was going through the arial socket and my phone would need to be connected to power source anyway so no need for bluetooth.

It works great. So happy to have my music. I stream everything these days - don't even own a CD.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FM bypass

I picked up the Scoche mini transmitter for $30 at Wally World and it actually does a great job. Plugs into the cig lighter and transmits my Bluetooth from right there. (I know, sounds crazy simple and too cheap) Very clear, and even good sound quality for phone. No tearing into the dash, just plug and play.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:21 AM

I previously had an FM transmitter, but the quality was too poor. the bypass modulator was definitely the right way to go for good quality audio

Old 07-09-2019, 04:04 PM
Default Orange plug

Originally Posted by stham
Besides shelling out 600$ for a fiber optic converter, there isn't any practical way of getting AUX in. After some initial research I decided to give the iSimple IS2351 a try.
Mid 2000 porsche owner have the same issue as us (MOST optical audio system) and many have used this same module. It runs around 60-70$ and is available online (amazon etc).

The unit works by plugging in-line with the antenna on back of the radio, and bypassing the signal directly to your phone's bluetooth. The unit also has a call button included that allows you to answer your phone hands-free, or begin music playback/skip to the next song.

I've read a few other people's impressions of FM bypass modulators on this forum so I was admittedly a bit skeptical. However The quality is as good as any other audio input. No distortion or static whatsoever.

Install is very straightforward; you only need to tap into a power source, run the call button and microphone and thats it.

Below is an overview of the install

Once you remove the center console (4 T30 screws, 2 in rear once you pull rear vent assembly out, and 2 below wood trim) You can easily get to the screws holding the Nav/Radio unit in.

On the radio plug are 2 wires - Yellow/Red (+12V Ign) and Black (Gnd) which can be used. (Bottom right)

Here's the front of the plug

Here are the connections to be made. The red and black power the unit, the pink and black are for the hands free button

Next step was soldering up the power wires. I'm OCD when it comes to wiring, so I de-pinned both wires and soldered them, then slide some shrink tubing around each connection.

final pic of the unit tucked away

The only thing i didn't picture was the routing of the microphone, which I simply clipped on the ashtray and tucked the wires behind it.

It's a very straightforward install and definitely worth the 60$. This unit is real slick and works very well.

Cheers!
what is the small orange 3 pin harness? I took apart my dash and it was disconnected and cannot find where it should plug into. Thanks

Old 07-09-2019, 04:56 PM
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Spencer Atchison
what is the small orange 3 pin harness? I took apart my dash and it was disconnected and cannot find where it should plug into. Thanks
From memory I believe that's the power for the ash tray light or lighter or maybe both.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:17 PM
Received 266 Likes on 206 Posts

Really? When all you had to do was buy a bluetooth converter that plugs into the cig lighter?

https://www.banggood.com/Dual-USB-as...r_warehouse=CN

My X358 plays exactly the same Pink Floyd as my SII did back in 1978 lol (with attendant loss of hearing) and who could want better than that? Hands-free phone as well.

Last edited by ChrisMills; 07-09-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Hi, Thank you for the detailed post - I tried installing " iSimple IS32 TranzIt " in my car - Everything went smooth as per your detailed guide - After connecting the wires I switched on the car and was able to connect to the Bluetooth Receiver which was connected to ISimple's Aux in - I streamed music from my phone and listened on the car stereo - It worked. However i felt that i needed to increase the gain and for that i switched off the car, locked it and after 5 minutes came back. Now when i switched on the car - the navigation screen went black - all sorts of warnings started appearing in the dashboard - I tried starting the car and it wouldn't - Th engine behaves as if the battery is down. Seems something drained the batteries. I am perplexed as everything worked fine until i switched the car of and than switched it back again. I have uninstalled the Isimple device for the time being and plan getting the battery charged tomorrow morning.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

In this picture the black wire connecter is out of the plug - is that how it should be and if so why is that pls? I added an arrow showing what i mean