XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Major Front End Collision - Select Edition XJ

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Angry Major Front End Collision - Select Edition XJ

In June timeframe I purchased a 2006 Certified Select Edition XJ Vanden Plas from a reputable dealer in Florida. The 140-point checklist for the Select Edition Certification process includes a review of "Vehicle Exterior: Correct VIN Plates and Antitheft labels" as well as "Frame and Underbody Damage".

In November, I was in the process of winterizing the car and just happened to be doing some on-line browsing of AutoCheck.com. Through my own research I found out that the car had been involved in a major front end collision back in the 2006 timeframe, to the point where it had to be towed to Nalley Jaguar for major body panel and frame repair. The cost of repairs was about $38,000 as per the repair report that I was able to find.

The dealer has committed to finding me a replacement vehicle (same model, color, etc.) and is doing a great job keeping me in the loop on status.

Was just curious how they could have missed the VIN Label check as is required in the 140-point inspection. A basic rudimentary check would have easily warned of something amise, as I myself can't find any VIN labels in the door panels, engine bay, hood, etc. where they normally should be. Can anyone with a 2006 XJ confirm for me that they do indeed have VIN labels / warning labels on the inner door sheet metal panels and engine bay. Just want to be sure.

Also, right now I am very upset and trying to calm myself down over this. I know in the end this is going to get resolved and I contact the dealer about every other day to get updates. Should I relax, not worry so much, and not call every other day or should I continue to keep up the pressure. Just want some advice.

Thank you.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

The alternative view could be that the repairs were carried out correctly with all new parts and the car was returned to a state of being entirely roadworthy. At a cost of $38,000 at a Jaguar Main Agent, this would seem to be so, and also you were entirely happy with it until you wandered around the internet.

On the other hand, the absence of any VIN labels makes bells ring for me at least !! The Owners Manual give the position of the VIN plates, but one at least should be visible at the bottom left side of the windscreen, behind the glass. Mine also has the words "Air Bag" and "Jaguar Cars ".

Is the engine number correct ? Presence of a VIN on the car is a legal requirement here in the UK.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the quick reply and alternative view.

Even though car is running fine, it's kind of like finding out that I bought a house that used to have water damage. Might be something that would be hard for me to get over.

I am going to check the engine number as well as the VIN at windscreen area. Good suggestions and many thanks.

Best Regards.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I think the checklist says check CARFAX. Does it show up on CARFAX? I don't think they check AutoCheck. My car also passed Select Edition certification (through some technicality, it is not a SE car, though) but AutoCheck shows 2 accidents, though they appear to have been minor. CARFAX shows nothing. Best of luck!

Definitely keep the pressure on!

Old 12-21-2010, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

By the way, as long as the car has been properly repaired, I wouldn't be too worried. However, it will really hurt bad when it comes time to sell it. So keep pressing the dealer to find you a new one.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

An accident will hurt the resale value and I hope they can find a replacement. If you really like the car and plan to keep her for awhile.......they might work with you and reduce the price by a good chunk. You have laverage and the car will be hard for them to resale. They might be willing to reduce it to auction or wholesale price. I bet if they get you a new car they are just going to flip it at auction anyways. Just a thought.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I would tell them to give you a $20K refund and live with it..lol

Old 12-21-2010, 05:51 PM

Hi all,

Thank you for the great feedback. A new development - the dealer was able to come through for me and locate a potential replacement vehicle. They've been doing a great job in the search and their salesman will be traveling this Wed to check out the potential replacement car.

This is probably one of those very rare occurances, but hopefully it's almost fixed.

Reflecting back on some obvious lessons learned:
> Even with Certified Select Edition vehicles, be sure that each body panel has it's respective VIN Plate / VIN stickers. This would have raised some warning signals.
> Do research beyond a CARFAX report.
> Do research to be sure correct factory stock "look" - it now makes sense why my 2006 VDP had an inconsistent vane type grille, whereas the grilles on these models are supposed to be mesh type.

Thanks again.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Reflecting back on some obvious lessons learned:
> Even with Certified Select Edition vehicles, be sure that each body panel has it's respective VIN Plate / VIN stickers. This would have raised some warning signals.
I assume from what you say above that the VIN plates were all missing. This should really have been checked by the dealer that sold you the car, in fact when they inspected it prior to buying it in for their stock.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I started using CARFAX and AUTOCHECK. Car autions post issue with cars on Autocheck. You can find thing on one report and not on another.