XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

moon roof panel adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default moon roof panel adjustment?

My moon roof opens fine and retracts the headliner panel completely. But when I try to close the roof the glass panel gets about 3/4 closed and then reverses. I tracked it down the headliner panel binding and tripping the anti-trap.

The headliner panel is so snug fitting that the plastic handle catches the lip of the headliner, and it's kind of hard to move even without the handle catching. I just bought the car and don't know it's history. Is there possibly something out of alignment or an adjustment I can make to make the headliner panel travel easier?

Thanks

2006 XJR

Old 11-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When my headliner was replaced, the shade was more difficult to open. When I asked the shop who replaced the headliner, he advised me that the material he used was thicker than OEM. I don't have the issue of the roof not closing, but maybe your issue is the material used is thicker. I am assuming your headliner was replaced as most of us have had to have that done on our cars. Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
raschwar (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the info. It's possible but I did notice sagging in various corners. I'll be contacting the dealer as he owes me another key. The car however was bought as is so I don't know how helpful he'll be with the roof.

When I removed the pull handle, which was actually snagging on the headliner as it passed the lip of the opening, it almost closes but still offers enough resistance to make the roof panel think it has an obstruction.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I actually just started to have this issue too! I heard a crazy gear slipping noise (or what I think was gear slipping) then after that my sunroof goes almost shut then rolls back. I can shut it if I hold down the wind reflector but if I don't it won't shut.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TB2004
When my headliner was replaced, the shade was more difficult to open. When I asked the shop who replaced the headliner, he advised me that the material he used was thicker than OEM. I don't have the issue of the roof not closing, but maybe your issue is the material used is thicker. I am assuming your headliner was replaced as most of us have had to have that done on our cars. Hope this helps.
Can you tell me what it cost to have the headliner on the panel replaced? I need to have it done on mine.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:20 PM

I'm in central Florida and I had my entire headliner replaced which included the sun shade for the moon roof. I paid $450 and it was done in 2 days. I'm not sure what the charge would be to just replace the sun shade, but I'm pretty sure the entire headliner has to be removed to get to it. If only your shade is sagging, it won't be long before the headliner starts. My new headliner has a lifetime warranty so I'll never have to pay for it again. :-)

The following users liked this post:
Anticitizen (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TB2004
I'm in central Florida and I had my entire headliner replaced which included the sun shade for the moon roof. I paid $450 and it was done in 2 days. I'm not sure what the charge would be to just replace the sun shade, but I'm pretty sure the entire headliner has to be removed to get to it. If only your shade is sagging, it won't be long before the headliner starts. My new headliner has a lifetime warranty so I'll never have to pay for it again. :-)
Thanks. I'm in South Florida myself. My back right corner is starting to sag a little too so I might as well do the whole thing anyway.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Anticitizen
Thanks. I'm in South Florida myself. My back right corner is starting to sag a little too so I might as well do the whole thing anyway.
Yeah, that's how it starts. Lots of shops won't attempt the headliner because of the airbag sensors and some have to remove the rear window to get it out. My shop got it out threw the rear doors and did not damage any of my airbag sensors. Make sure the shop you use uses good adhesive and have done Jaguars before. With the new headliner in, my car is much quieter and I think it's cooler in the car when I park it at work. (I park in garage at home)

Old 11-06-2012, 04:20 PM

Josh_7703

I read something about a spring "adjustment" on the wind deflector to make it easier for the panel to close it. I think it referred to bending the springs but it was just a reference. Mine balks at that point too, sometimes. But my real problem is the plastic handle. the handle originally broke when it got got snagged and something made a grating sound. I thought the glass was being scratched. Now I can take the handle out of the panel and everything works OK. But, like I said, closing the wind deflector is right on the edge of stopping the roof from closing.

Seeing the dealer tomorrow.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Default resolution?

One of the mechanics at the dealership knew of an aftermarket supplier of pull handles for the panel. According to him it will not catch the headliner lip when closing. They have it on order or me. Here's hoping.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:56 PM

Re: the sunroof shade pull handle that the dealer was going to get. I'm still waiting. Does anyone know -

Can I buy the plastic pull handle or do I have to buy the entire sunroof shade?
Are the handles the same across models?

I saw an X-type used sunroof shade for about $50 on ebay. Would that handle fit my shade? Pricey for a hunk of plastic, I know.

Thanks

Old 08-02-2016, 11:39 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by raschwar
My moon roof opens fine and retracts the headliner panel completely. But when I try to close the roof the glass panel gets about 3/4 closed and then reverses.
My 06 XJR has the identical issue. However, I found today that if I close the sunroof just over half way, and then push it to go forward about 1/4 the way, then stop, then push to close it all the way it will actually pull the shade out no problem.

But, when I push to close it all the way automatically it will trip every time.

Original headliner. Any tips here guys on any adjustments, lube or anything I can do? The pull handle appears to be original and fine too so I'm not so sure how to fix this.