XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

My leaper fell off,,,,( solution found )

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 08:27 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default My leaper fell off,,,,( solution found )

Good day to all my Jag lovers and owners,

I was washing my car last Monday, and as I was cleaning the leaper hood ornament , well it just fell off. The cable wire looks like it snapped off . Now what to do?

I went to my local auto parts shop and bought the Permatex 5 minute epoxy . This one is the only adhesive that is compatible with chrome. I said ill take a chance prior to buying a new leaper.

Well I did all the prep work as per instructions, and wow!!! its like a solid weld. no slack, applied hand pressure ,no budging at all.

I want to mention that as there was about and 1.5 inch cable still attached to the leaper, this kind of acts like an anchor to the base.

very satisfied.

btw, I ordered a leaper just the same...just in case,..but am very confident this will last ,

thanks and enjoy your day

Old 07-09-2016, 07:05 AM
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

The same thing happened to me. I was preping the car a day before a car show and as a last minute detail I polished the leaper and it came off in my hand. I took it all apart to see how it was installed and found the steel cable broke at the crimp. I reassembled it using a plastic wire tie for the cable putting it thru thr washer, up thru the spring and thru the base of the leaper and then back down thru the spring and washer. The connector part of the wire tie keeps it from pulling back thru the washer and lets you tighten up on the wire tie until you have tension on the assembly, it works like new and that was 3 years ago and it is still on.
The next day a show offical gave me a brand new leaper assembly in the box donated by Monmouth Jaguar, it is still in the box in my tool box.
For those in the north east that show is coming up again in Sept for anyone interested.
It is called Brits on the Beach Car Show and is held in Historic Ocean Grove, NJ. Just south of Asbury Park and 45 miles north of Atlantic City. Anyone interested drop me a note.