XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

need help keys locked in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help keys locked in trunk

my mother-in-law has locked the keys to her car in the trunk and the alarm went off when she opened the door which has now cut the power to the trucnk switch, is there a way to get power to the car so the switch will work, I am not really what i would call a car guy and no she doesn't have a spare

Old 07-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

how did the boot (trunk) get locked? without a key or remote?

how did she open the door? without a key or remote?

What spare keys or remote keyfob blipper are there?

I presume you mean she has a Jag XJ built between 2003 and 2009? is that right? there was a new model introduced in 2003 so we need to know which it is. the new one has an Aluminium body so a magnet will not stick to it. It is also four inches taller and looks "fatter"

It is possible but undesirable to open the boot (trunk) by drilling a hole in the back. Depending on the value of the car you might do that or else call a locksmith. It will have to be someone quite skilled because the Chubb lock fitted is very difficult to pick and is unlike most US lock cylinders, including Abloy and Chubb door locks, although some European Fords use a simpler version. If he can't pick it and wants to rip it out, the damage would be worse than if you drilled a hole. Your local Jag dealer may suggest someone, you can depend on them to be expensive. The keylock for the boot (trunk) is under the edge,to the right of the centre where the open button is, facing downward. You can see it if you kneel down and look up from the numberplate area. There is a faint chance that the tag with the key number was kept with the car documents, and a duplicate can be cut from that by a dealer. The number may begin with a "T"

As an aside, if you haven't got and can't afford a spare key, it is possible to get a non-electronic key made, by copying a proper key, that will open the door and the boot. Round here some locksmiths will cut it. It has no immobiliser transducer so will not start the car or turn off the alarm, but it will open the mechanical locks for example if you have locked your keys inside. I got one made for £10 (about $15) for just the sort of emergency you describe, and I keep it concealed since it will not allow a thief to steal the car..

Last edited by PigletJohn; 07-24-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:01 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I thought you were to lock the mother in law in the trunk rather than the keys in the trunk.

No need to be drilling holes. Get your local Jag dealer to cut a new mechanical key using the VIN. Assuming you have an X350, the key slot is on the underside of the trunk brow (above and to the right of the license plate). If the key slot has never been used, you may need to spray it with some WD40 to work it loose.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I wonder if Bob Polo will ever come back and tell us what happened?