XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

New Jaguar - 2004 XJ8 Vanden Plas

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 09:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Jaguar - 2004 XJ8 Vanden Plas

I lost my Grandfather this past February. I still find myself struggling with the words to express this feeling of loss, he was just shy of his 100th Birthday. My Grandfather, aka “Papa”, was a brilliant, strong, proud and humble man; he never liked to be the center of attention. He was such an influential and confident man who took pride in working hard for what he had. He was never your typical “car guy”. However, he had an appreciation for nice cars. For as long as I can remember my Papa always owned a Jaguar. I remember growing up, I always looked forward to seeing the Jaguar, going for rides, to sit in them, the smell of the leather interior, the way he drove it, and the music he played while driving. Through all the years, this was something I came to love and cherish. It was who my Papa was. In a way these Jaguars were such a large part of my childhood. One thing I looked VERY forward to was finally turning 16 and being able to drive his Jaguar, with him in the car as well, obviously!

My Papa’s last Jaguar was sold out of the family without my knowledge, so I contacted the person who had bought it. The current owners informed me that they were going to sell it in another year or so and would let me know first. I was surprised to hear that since our communication this past March, they decided to sell it much sooner. This process was now expedited, and I had 2 weeks’ notice as someone else in their family wanted the car. They honored my request to be first in line, so I pulled the trigger and now this car is back in the family where it belongs. I have many fond memories of my Papa surrounding this exact car, and all the Jaguars that came before it. So, to own his last Jaguar is bitter sweet. I am so relieved, happy, thrilled, and sad to have it. With me it will be kept safe, cared for, and I will enjoy it; but, would trade it in a heartbeat to be able to spend more time with him. I will cherish this car forever and not a moment will go by that I don’t think of him when I drive it and all the wonderful memories I have. My Papa was my hero, my mentor, my role model, a great friend, and most importantly my Grandfather. Your guidance and love will carry me through to the end of my days.

The car car is a 2004 XJ8 Vanden Plas Edition. I’m looking to see what you could offer for advice and things to look for. The car is basically mint condition and has 53k miles on it. I appreciate and all advice and help you can offer.

Thank you,

James

The following 3 users liked this post by JaguarDaly:
Don B (04-26-2019), John Fox (04-27-2019), staggerlee51 (04-27-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 10:09 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Hi James!

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us!

What a wonderful tribute to your Grandfather! Your love and respect for him come through loud and clear, so I can fully appreciate your desire to retrieve that Jaguar he had owned. It looks like a truly exceptional example, and we'll all look forward to your journey and assisting you in keeping it in stellar condition.

Cheers,

Don

Old 04-26-2019, 10:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi James!

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us!

What a wonderful tribute to your Grandfather! Your love and respect for him come through loud and clear, so I can fully appreciate your desire to retrieve that Jaguar he had owned. It looks like a truly exceptional example, and we'll all look forward to your journey and assisting you in keeping it in stellar condition.

Cheers,

Don
Thank you so much Don! I appreciate the kind words and I am looking forward to all the help and sharing on this forum. I am a member on other forums for my other cars and thrilled to have this car back!

Any advice and things to look for on these cars would be appreciated. Or anything at all I should be made aware of.

Thank you again!

Old 04-26-2019, 10:52 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Sorry for your loss; it sounds like your grandfather is a fantastic person. You must feel quite honoured to have such memories that live with you forever as well as something he obviously treasured: his Vanden Plas.

The X350 has several items that need attention at some point. Foremost is the water outlet, which contains the thermostat. Since it's made of plastic, it can only withstand a finite number of cold to hot to cold cycles before failing. If your grandfather didn't replace it recently, it should be near the top of the list to have done. Refill the cooling system with Dexcool coolant at the same time.

Next would be the battery as a failing or weak battery can cause all sorts of electrical 'gremlins' to surface. Check the voltage across the battery terminals with a voltmeter after the vehicle hasn't been driven for several hours, it should show a minimum of 12.6 volts. If not, try charging the battery overnight at 2 to 5 amps, then retest it. If the voltage is still below 12.6 volts, the battery should be replaced.

The air suspension, while providing exceptional ride quality, can be problematic if the struts or pump mechanism develop leaks. Repairing the system can be costly, but it's a good idea to have it inspected nonetheless.

Check the cam covers for oil seepage or leaks as this can affect the ignition coils resulting in misfires.

The car appears to be in excellent condition, so enjoy driving her. I'm sure your grandfather will be smiling while sitting next to you as you do.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Welcome to the forum;
What a nice tribute to your grandfather, glad you retrieved his Jaguar.
Got into them myself looking for a good used Toyota, or Honda.
But found that the high end cars were a better buy.
With their rapid depreciation, & high service prices.
They soon cost more to fix than they are worth.
So they trade it on another car
If you do the work yourself, have another car available to drive if needed.
They don't cost all that much more, to operate, & enjoy.
So many stock Ford parts on them helps with part prices.
Just about anything you need to do, someone here has already done.
We share our knowledge, & knowledge is the power to stay away from the dealers service dept!!!!

Don B (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 10:37 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

JaguarDaly, I defer to our more mechanically knowledgeable brethren regarding repair and maintenance issues. But, your story about the Jaguar was so heartwarming that I had to respond! What luck in being able to retrieve your Papa’s car, still in good condition! The joy that my VDP brings me would seem to pale alongside that which stems from a car with such provenance. I wish you many miles of happy motoring with thoughts of your Papa riding shotgun! Welcome to the forum!

Don B (04-27-2019)