XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Observations from a new Jag owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Observations from a new Jag owner

So I have had my 2004 XJ for almost a month now and here are just a few observations I have noticed.

Only one screen of radio presets? 9 FM radio presets, I realize this is not a deal breaker but it seems odd to me that a car like this in 2004 wouldn't have Fm1 Fm2 maybe even Fm 3 presets

No maintenace reminder, again not a big deal, but odd to me for a high end car like this.

Fm radio reception is ok at best, and I live ina large metropolitan area. I have checked the rear connections at the glass, and that the defroster wasn't interfering.

The drivers seat thigh bolsters are hard as concrete after a few hours driving. Maybe just my though.

auto wipers are a nice feature and work fairly well, but they do have a ghost wipe every now and then.

Global open is a way cool feature for a black on black car. I can vent the car as I am walking up to it, as it is a sauna in there after sitting in the sun all day.

Thats all for now, I am sure there are a few other things I found odd, but all in all I love my Jag. Glad to be a part of this community.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

how do you do Global Open? I have a 2005, don't recall seeing it in the handbook.

Do you do your own tinkering?

EDIT:
found it now. Press and hold the unlock button winds all the windows down. just tried it, and it works!

same as press and hold the lock button winds them all up.

Last edited by PigletJohn; 07-11-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

It gets worse!

Brakes are single circuit and no bulb failure light (not on UK cars anyway).

Lovely ride though!

Old 07-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

I've had mine for three months now and I think it's a fantastic car.

Best features:
  • Adaptive Cruise Control - brilliant on motorways whereas I always found ordinary C/C (on my old Merc 190E) pretty useless unless the motorway was very quiet (eg the M4 after midnight; the M6 north of Lancaster)
  • Auto wipers.
  • Global opening - in this weather (I've got a sunroof and that opens as well).
  • A nice high top gear.
  • The interior lighting, the 'puddle lamps' and approach lamps.

Worst features:
  • SatNav (need I say more)
  • Indicators on the left hand stalk; wipers & screenwash on the right (I'm in the UK so mine's RHD and in forty-six years driving all the cars I've had [bar one], and all my Dad's cars that I drove, have had the indicator stalk on the right [even my Merc 190E] ).
  • Bonnet release on the passenger's side.
  • The Fog Lights which I suspect (haven't had any fog yet) will be more than useless.

'Would have been nice if it had ... ' features:

• Side marker lights (as on North American models), rather than just reflectors (Volvo manage to fit marker lights on their UK cars)

There is a second set of FM channels if you press A MEM. If you press and hold it for two seconds it auto tunes to the nine strongest signals, but if only give it a short press it only selects the screen with those memories, and doesn't auto tune.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by meirion1
It gets worse!

Brakes are single circuit and no bulb failure light (not on UK cars anyway).

Lovely ride though!
Workshop Manual Vol 2 Chassis p455:
"The braking system is a diagonally split, dual circuit design featuring front and rear disc brakes.
"The hydraulic system provides separate circuits for each pair of diagonally opposed wheels (left front, right rear and right front, left rear). "

Old 07-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something I forgot to ad in my first post was, 4 power points in this car, well 2 cig lighters and 2 power points. But regardless, 4 places to plug in a charger etc. I think that is pretty awesome, but not a single one is hot with the key off? Why not give us just one place to leave the cell phone plugged into when we run in and out of a convienence store to build up the battery?

Maybe just me, but this seems odd to me. Every car I can remember owning that had more than one, one of them would stay hot with the key off.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Partick the Cat
Workshop Manual Vol 2 Chassis p455:
"The braking system is a diagonally split, dual circuit design featuring front and rear disc brakes.
"The hydraulic system provides separate circuits for each pair of diagonally opposed wheels (left front, right rear and right front, left rear). "
Thanks for that. I got it wrong because there is only one brake line to each wheel.

Too much time under the car and not enough reading!

Old 07-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

@Partick

Don't complain about the SatNav - it may not be great, but actually works most of the time. I got a 2013 Ford Fusion for my wife and the satnav is worse - reboots while driving.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:55 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by macjazzy
Every car I can remember owning that had more than one, one of them would stay hot with the key off.
I expect it is because having a flat battery is a real pain and you might forget to take something out of the socket.

This question cropped up recently and a member has fitted a permanent live outlet which is wired to the battery but includes an automatic disconnect if it is left connected, with the engine stopped, long enough for the voltage to drop.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You're not imagining the hard thigh bolsters!

Also enjoy the global down windows here in Florida.