XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Parrot Bluetooth Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Parrot Bluetooth Installation

I'm looking at installing Bluetooth in my 2004 XJ8. I'm currently looking at the Parrot MKi9200 and installing the screen where the ashtray is and removing the ashtray. There seems to be a lot of room there. Has anyone used this setup and have pictures of how it turned out? I haven't been able to find any installation pictures in any of the other threads. I'd rather not have wires showing everywhere.

Also, I saw parrot also offers something called the Parrot Unika that allows you to use your steering wheel controls. Has anyone installed this module?
Amazon.com: Parrot Steering Wheel Mounted Control Interface for Parrot Mki/RKi: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Parrot Steering Wheel Mounted Control Interface for Parrot Mki/RKi: Cell Phones & Accessories
It mentions being compatible with all CAN-bus vehicle communication protocols. I was just curious if it would work with a 2004 XJ8.

Thanks,

Eric

Old 06-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

I don't know the Parrot, but I put my Motorola T605 in the ashtray. it is hidden beautifully, but at the same time, access is poor and really bad when using the cupholder.
I don't know about the steering controls either, sorry. Overall I found the bluetooth works well and mutes the stereo, etc.

The following users liked this post:
esloser (06-20-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 06:34 AM

Rob,

The ashtray on mine is underneath the radio on the front dash right in front of the J-Gate. The cup holders are underneath the sliding armrest.

Thanks for your insight,

Eric

LMRud (12-11-2020)
Old 06-21-2012, 07:41 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

I fitted the earlier Parrot CK3100 in my last X308 and then transferred it to the subsequent XK8. My current XK8 has Jaguar Bluetooth but I must say it's nowhere near the quality or features of the Parrot.

If I were going for a Bluetooth installation, the Parrot MKi9200 is the one I'd go for based on this experience.

From reports I've seen elsewhere, steering wheel interface suppliers take a rapid step backwards once you mention Jaguar so you may have to compromise on this facility.

Be interested to see how you progress with this.

Graham

Old 06-21-2012, 11:59 AM

Well, it certainly looks like it is possible. This document references the X-Type and S-Type greater than 2004. Is there much of a difference in the wiring between these two models and the 2004 XJ8?

dbinstall.parrot.com/Pdf_manual/UNIKA798.pdf

Old 06-21-2012, 02:37 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by esloser
Well, it certainly looks like it is possible. This document references the X-Type and S-Type greater than 2004. Is there much of a difference in the wiring between these two models and the 2004 XJ8?

dbinstall.parrot.com/Pdf_manual/UNIKA798.pdf
The fact Parrot specify X-Type and S-Type in the document but make no mention of XJ8 or XK8 suggests they haven't been able to make UNIKA work with these other models. That's a big market and I'm sure they'd be making it very clear if the interface was suitable.

Not to say it couldn't be done but you may have to do much more than jockey a few harness connections.

Graham

Old 06-21-2012, 05:56 PM

Things that make you go...hmmm

I was hoping someone had experience trying this in the past, so my car didn't have to be the guinea pig.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:55 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Eric,

I've attached some photos of the MKi9200 installed in my 2003 X350 XJ6. The screen and remote are positioned under the ash-tray cover (which still closes fine hiding the whole thing). The screen fits nicely behind the chrome ash-tray surround and the remote fits in front of the cigar lighter - as long as you replace the lighter element with a 'blank'.

The Parrot blue control box sits behind and below the radio/nav unit - there's plenty of room there and it wires into the car's loom easily with the right adaptor cable from Parrot. Make sure you get the right one - if you have the Alpine upgrade it's a different adaptor - check the Parrot website for the part numbers.

I ran the iPod lead from the blue box, underneath the centre console and made a hole in the bottom of the arm-rest storage compartment as shown in the third photo. I also installed a 12v socket in the forward storage compartment (I removed the cup-holders) so I could plug in a separate charger for my iPhone.

The microphone cable runs behind the glove-box, up the A-pillar and around the top of the windscreen behind the headlining to the microphone sited above the rear-view mirror.

The system is brilliant - completely hidden, no wires showing, very easy to use with the remote falling nicely to hand and excellent sound quality through the standard Jaguar speaker set-up.

I hope that helps - good luck!

Attached Thumbnails Parrot Bluetooth Installation-photo-1-.jpg   Parrot Bluetooth Installation-photo-2-.jpg   Parrot Bluetooth Installation-photo-3-.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by peterjameswass:
mikeclarke (08-29-2018), Richj (08-10-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 07:58 AM

Almost forgot - you can't use the UNIKA system with the X350 - it's not compatible. But given the ease with which you operate the MKi9200 with the supplied remote (and the fact that you can hide it away and not spoil the look of the dashboard) means it's not an issue for me.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:32 AM

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the photos. I didn't realize the Parrot screen would fit inside the ashtray surround. I was thinking I'd remove the ashtray. Did you do the install yourself or have it professionally done?

I don't have the Alpine system in mine, so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again for the feedback. Did you try to mess around with the Unika system at all? Or, did your research lead you to the incompatibility information.

Thanks again for your help,

Eric

Old 06-23-2012, 10:51 AM

Hi Eric,

I did the install myself - it's pretty straightforward and this thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-photos-50454/ helped me a lot in terms of removing the centre console and getting to the back of the radio/navigation unit.

The screen fits nicely inside the ashtray - you need to remove the chrome surround (it's just clipped on) to route the screen cable into the ashtray itself but you can clip it back on okay. I've not fixed the screen - rather it's held in place by a square of foam (covered in black sticky-backed plastic) sitting behind it which pushes it against the front of the ashtray surround. This makes it easy to remove if you need to reset the Parrot unit for any reason.

I did a bit of research on the UNIKA compatibility but in the end it was as simple as checking on the Parrot website - the screenshot attached shows the result.

I hope the install goes well - if you have any questions do let me know and I'll try to help out.

Peter

Attached Thumbnails Parrot Bluetooth Installation-screenshot_1.jpg  
Old 06-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Parrot 9200 into X350

Hi Peter,

That installations looks great, I have been told that it wasn't possible to fir a 9200 into the X350 with the Sat Nav screen audio system ?

Obviously it is, what exactly did you need for the installation, re adaptors etc, and does it not have to integrate with the audio gear at the back of the car ?

Very interested in this as I used a 9200 in a friends Audi, and it was a great bit of kit.

Thank you

Russell Swift

Old 06-26-2012, 03:13 AM

Hi Russell,

The installation was pretty simple. My car has the sat-nav and 'basic' audio system (as opposed to the optional Alpine upgrade) and it was simply a case of plugging the Parrot adaptor cable between the loom and the back of the navigation/audio unit. There were no connections needed to the audio kit in the boot.

If you go to Parrot - Installation diagrams for installed Bluetooth hands free car kits and enter your car's details you'll see which cable you need and how it all fits together.

Good luck!

Peter

Old 06-26-2012, 05:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Parrot 9200 into X350

Hi Peter,

Thank you for this, I now see the problem. I have the premium sound system in my car, and nice as it is means that I don't think the installation is possible, it is connected optically I believe.

Thanks for your reply,

Russell

mikeclarke (08-30-2018)
Old 06-26-2012, 05:39 AM

Hi Russell,

Do take a look on the Parrot site - they list adapters for both the basic and premium X350 systems.

Peter

Old 09-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you got behind the glovebox and threw the pillar..? I can't find a hole Thank you

Old 09-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi I had my 9200 fitted above the heater buttons. I also have the premium sound system the garage had a nightmare fitting it, I have noise in the background I have been told I need 4 suppressors. I am not impressed with the quality of calls.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rdjee88
How did you got behind the glovebox and threw the pillar..? I can't find a hole Thank you
You can run the microphone cable from the Parrot control box, under the trim beneath the glovebox (held on by plastic trim rivets - just pull them out with pliers) up the side of the dashboard at the A-pillar, behind the A-pillar trim panel (this just pulls off) and around the top of the screen behind the headlining up to the roof console.

A good tip is to push the wire between the various trim panels using a plastic tool so as not to damage anything - a plastic picnic knife or spoon will work well.

Good luck!

Old 09-22-2012, 03:38 AM

Thanks ever So much

Old 08-30-2018, 04:26 AM

Unfortunately, I have an XJ6 X350 2003 with the premium ALPINE sound system inclusive of rear amp... today on the 30th August 2018
Parrot TECHNICAL have informed me that it is not possible to install it on this system. DEVASTATED!
This being the second advice received as the day before I received the same comments from COMPLEX SOLUTIONS that it is not possible on the premium sound systems with separate amp.
SO THERE YOU HAVE IT.

Quick Reply: Parrot Bluetooth Installation