XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Power steering pump noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 09:27 PM
Received 254 Likes on 202 Posts
Default I always just use clean fluid

I have not used additives. Fresh fluid has always taken pair of any issues.
The XJR uses Dextron III. My Audi uses a much thinner fluid. Both have been rejuvenated by fluid change.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I topped it off with some of the Pennzoil PS fluid, and did the bleeding procedure and it is vastly improved. does seem to be a little more noticeable in the heat, but in the morning i didn't hear it at all. I figure when i get the time to fully flush it, it will be even better!

Old 08-04-2018, 09:57 PM
Received 12,731 Likes on 6,376 Posts

Originally Posted by ayavner
What fluid do you use? I was reading up on Lubeguard, and it claims to be fully compatible but no mention on whether it meets dexron iii specs. would you recommend using any sort of power steering flush product in the process, either the drain or the vacuum out method?
A good commonly-available modern substitute for Dexron III is Mobil 1 ATF, which has a high viscosity similar to the original Dexron III. Another good substitute is Redline Oil D4 ATF, but it usually has to be ordered from Redline or a vendor like Summit Racing since most auto parts stores do not keep it in stock. For a non-synthetic conventional option, the Valvoline Dex/Merc in the blue bottle has a viscosity similar to that of original Dexron III, but the synthetic Maxlife Dex/Merc in the red bottle has a much lower viscosity, so avoid that. Dexron VI also has a significantly lower viscosity than Dexron III and most of the other Dex/Merc brands have a slightly lower viscosity than true Dexron III, so I don't recommend them for applications where Dexron II or III was originally specified.

P.S. I haven't used it in anything but Aisin-Warner transmissions, but the parts counter gent at our local Toyota dealership says Toyota (Aisin) T-IV ATF is equivalent to Dexron III, and it's just $5.00 per quart at the dealership.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 04-23-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Follow up to my original post > I cant believe its been a year since I started this. I've moved from 92630 to 92592, its taken a year to sell the old house
find a new house, do all the repairs & finally set up the work shop
In the heat of making trips back and forth I decided to just for the heck of it to poor in the additive I got off Ebay.
It worked almost immediately
, I was shocked and super happy, I thought for sure I was going to be replacing the p/s pump.
So with that knowledge I took the car to my new neighborhood mechanic
(Redhawk Auto Service , Temecula ,CA)
They did a complete system flush with a cleaner then drained and refilled with their p/s fluid.
Its been working perfectly ever since ..

The following 2 users liked this post by 90 S-4:
Don B (04-20-2019), paydase (04-21-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 04:03 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

Very illustrative and helpful thread. I added the Jaguar PAS FLUID C2S48887 about a year ago on the 07 XJ for the usually whine that crops up. Replaced all the fluid in the reservoir 2x separated by a few days driving. Did the recommended fluid cycling by working the rack to either extreme and holding it there for however many seconds the procedure calls for. It worked for the most part but over the winter I started hearing whine occasionally.

Now its pretty much back, but one of the statements Jaguar makes is "you can only use the additive one time" Really? Then it's change the pump, rack, whatever since I used up my 9 lives all at once?

Don, Cambo, and all you other Jaguar men of action: Opinions? Shall I a)Break all the rules and re-apply? b) Try the Lubrizol 6178 (using a MB part number seems like heresy, but science > pagan worship of ghost of Sir William. c) Swapping out all the fluid - Don's comments about Dex/Merc hit home. That's precisely what I had been using for lack of DEX II/III stuff. I even HAVE Mobile 1 on hand and while I wouldn't try it in the ZF 6HP26 I am happy to give it a go in the PS system. I can always swap it out again if it doesn't work out.

Open to suggestions!

Old 04-23-2019, 04:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Go for it, try the MBZ product