XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Problem with Touchscreen 2011 xj8

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Problem with Touchscreen 2011 xj8

Are you having the same problem touching the screen for radio,nav, seat massage? I have to push the buttons a few x for them to work.
I think It's dangerous. Any news on a fix?

Old 09-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Have not had that problem. The only issue I have had so far with the touchscreen is that 2 times now when I stopped for gas at the same gas station and then started the car again, the audio button was grayed out, the phone button would not do anything or bluetooth connect, and the nav button put me in a "retrieving" mode that never finished. Then, within a couple of hours, everything returned to normal. When I mentioned this to the dealer, they said it was interference from some radio(?) signals at the gas station that caused the car's electronics to go haywire. Doesn't sound too good to me.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:57 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ha...join the club. Yes, they do not always respond. One of the loaners they gave me (whle fixing that and other problems) was an XF. While the XF's interior is woeful when compared to the XJ, I noticed the touchscreen in it responded perfectly everytime with almost no effort.

The XJ requires a more firmer push, and sometimes multiple pushes. Mine has also completely stopped working and grayed out (audio) and the NAV would just say "initialzing" over and over (or something like that). They fixed it, but the NAV started to act up again.

Now the NAV works (for now), but not the same way as initially. Before, when it did work you could enter information at any time. Now, you can only enter informaton if the vehicle is not in motion. Start to move, and any address inputs will gray out (except "previous" option). They have told me that is how it was always to be, but that is not how it worked at first. They said that is some new safety law that requires NAV input not to work while in motion. If this is true, that's absurd.

Of course, if their voice option was actually working (not even installed yet), maybe it wouldn't be an issue.

I also have situations where you touch one option like audio, and it takes you to the wrong screen (might take you to climate, for example). Speaking of audio, I'm not overly impressed with the 1200 watt, 20 speaker system, and the AM reception is horrid.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

That's the way my nav system works too--must not be in motion to enter destinations. This is definitely a programmed safety feature and I have had other cars with the same.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:22 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Benz and Lexus that let you input while in motion, though they are not 2011 cars. Maybe all new cars are like this, but still think it is dumb. You are suppose to pull over to enter a new location,,,but you can turn on your massage seats, tune the complex options for the stereo, and engage in all sorts of other machinations while in motion that keep your eyes off the road. Of course, if the voice contorl worked, as it is suppose to, this wouldn't even be a discussion.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same problem with my friend's xf, and i just found out the new range rovers are using it.even a review on youtube wa complaining about it