XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Rear window sun shade issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear window sun shade issues

I've had the XJR now for just over 2 months. When I test drove it the rear sun shade was inoperable. The dealer fixed it before I took posession. It stopped operating within a couple of weeks, and the dealer fixed it for me last week free of charge. Now, 1 week later, it has stopped operating again (it worked OK yesterday). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to loosen it up to get it going again? I have to think there's some way, but I've looked at it from the back seat and can't find any sort of pull-up tab os similar. I'd be grateful for any help.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Can you pull it while the button is pushed? Is it the switch side or the shade side which is the issue?

Old 10-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by XJRONT
I've had the XJR now for just over 2 months. When I test drove it the rear sun shade was inoperable. The dealer fixed it before I took posession. It stopped operating within a couple of weeks, and the dealer fixed it for me last week free of charge. Now, 1 week later, it has stopped operating again (it worked OK yesterday). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to loosen it up to get it going again? I have to think there's some way, but I've looked at it from the back seat and can't find any sort of pull-up tab os similar. I'd be grateful for any help.
3M makes a product in a spray can called "Dry Silicone". Obtain some of that and get the sunshade extended. Spray the two corners of the cavity it retracts into. Its where the two little wheels that touch the glass slide in. That will keep the shade working pretty well. You might have to treat it maybe twice a year. Those areas are rubberized to keep them quiet, and it just gets dry and sticks.

They came out with a repair that was to correct that, but it still acted up without some lubricant at the corners.

Cheers,

The following 7 users liked this post by xjrguy:
Celeta Moses (11-01-2011), Christian Pugh (06-07-2016), georgekale (12-08-2011), hisport (04-03-2016), joeldietzjr (01-09-2015), mstolley (12-08-2011), Sentinelist (02-02-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...is it the switch or is the shade stuck? My rear shade sticks once in awhile if I don't use it. Move the shade up and down to unstick it. I should use the 3M Dry Silicone too.

The following users liked this post:
LovellyJubblies (07-16-2014)
Old 10-25-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Road_King
...is it the switch or is the shade stuck? My rear shade sticks once in awhile if I don't use it. Move the shade up and down to unstick it. I should use the 3M Dry Silicone too.
Yep! It will give you trouble a lot less often.

Cheers,

Old 10-26-2011, 06:55 AM

It's the shade itself that's stuck. Stuck a week after the dealer service department fixing (and lubricating it). I'll definitely get some 3M Dry Silicone but how do I get the shade to elevate first? It's stuck, again, in the retracted position. Thanks for your help guys.

Ken

Old 10-26-2011, 08:28 AM

It's the shade itself that's stuck. Stuck a week after the dealer service department fixing (and lubricating it). I'll definitely get some 3M Dry Silicone but how do I get the shade to elevate first? It's stuck, again, in the retracted position. Thanks for your help guys.

Ken
Grab hold of it and tug it loose from the package shelf on both sides. You might need someone to hit the switch to extend it at the same time, but not always. The shade will pull out about an inch or so by flexing the mechanism slightly.

Good luck!

The following 3 users liked this post by xjrguy:
carelm (07-19-2014), LovellyJubblies (07-16-2014), paydase (10-16-2016)
Old 10-26-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Grab hold of it and tug it loose from the package shelf on both sides. You might need someone to hit the switch to extend it at the same time, but not always. The shade will pull out about an inch or so by flexing the mechanism slightly.

Good luck!
I've tried to get a hold of it to pull it up - but can't quite figure out how to get a hold of it without causing potential damage. Any tricks or suggestions? Thanks,

Ken

Old 10-26-2011, 09:06 AM

I've tried to get a hold of it to pull it up - but can't quite figure out how to get a hold of it without causing potential damage. Any tricks or suggestions? Thanks,

Ken
I just roll my fingertips under the rear edge, about 6-7 inches in from the ends. You might try sliding something flat, like a tongue depressor, under the rear edge to assist.

Cheers,

The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
LovellyJubblies (07-16-2014), paydase (10-16-2016)
Old 10-26-2011, 09:38 AM

I just roll my fingertips under the rear edge, about 6-7 inches in from the ends. You might try sliding something flat, like a tongue depressor, under the rear edge to assist.

Cheers,
Man that's a tough one. I tried sliding an old credit card under the edges and pulling up - it's stuck good. I tried after pressing the button twice - it sounds like it's trying to go up and down but nothing happening. Perhaps I'll wait until I've got a helper to press the button while I try to lift. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:22 AM

Man that's a tough one. I tried sliding an old credit card under the edges and pulling up - it's stuck good. I tried after pressing the button twice - it sounds like it's trying to go up and down but nothing happening. Perhaps I'll wait until I've got a helper to press the button while I try to lift. Thanks.
It's possible you have something else going on there; give it another try though, and see what happens.

You mentioned it had been repaired a short time ago......check the attached bulletin ask if it was repaired by that method.

Cheers,

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
JTB00114NAS2.pdf (40.6 KB, 1373 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
joeldietzjr (01-09-2015), XJRont (10-26-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 01:10 PM

It's possible you have something else going on there; give it another try though, and see what happens.

You mentioned it had been repaired a short time ago......check the attached bulletin ask if it was repaired by that method.

Cheers,
Marvelous, thanks! I think I'll head back to the dealer to see if they can fix it again.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:02 PM

...any updates?

Old 11-22-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Road_King
...any updates?
No updates. I haven't had a chance to call the dealer to get them to try again. I've tried to pull it up again myself but can't get it to budge. Thanks for the reminder though - think I'll chase the dealer again tomorrow.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Just found this forum. Very handy. Just bought an 2006 XJR, and found it's rear blind was stuck. It was just going click whirr click and nothing then happened. So I climbed into the back, grabbed the blind and managed to pull it up about an inch, then just about could reach into the front and pressed the button. Bingo! Up it went. Now working a treat.

Thanks!

Old 12-09-2011, 07:47 AM

...me thinks that you need to raise the shades occasionally to prevent it from sticking. It happens to me a lot so I just raise it periodically to exercise it. No problems since.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:57 PM

Well, I guess I shouldn't have been afraid to apply a little elbow grease. I just went out to the garage to have another go at it. I pulled it out with a small amount of force - got it about an inch out then hit the button. Presto! After running it through 3 or 4 cycles I have no left it in the up position. Next thing will be to get some 3M dry silicone and apply that. Thanks for all your help group!

Ken

Old 06-28-2012, 12:47 PM

I just purchased my second XJR. I bought it and didn't realize that there is no button for the rear window sunshade on the overhead console like my last XJR. The car has navigation so I'm thinking that the control might be somewhere in there. Can anyone help?

Old 06-28-2012, 01:12 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by USMarshall
I just purchased my second XJR. I bought it and didn't realize that there is no button for the rear window sunshade on the overhead console like my last XJR. The car has navigation so I'm thinking that the control might be somewhere in there. Can anyone help?
If you have no button most likely no shade. The navigation screen has no option. Seems to me 04 didn't have a shade.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:57 AM

My other 2004 xjr had it and this one has the shade because you can see it behind the headrests. I reached out to the local Jaguar dealership yesterday and they said, "it happens. Sometimes the shades were installed with no button to operate them. We have seen it before." They also said that I could simply buy the button, however, it is connected to the other buttons on a circuit board in the overhead console. I then asked if he could order it for me at which time I found out that it would be $1500. So it looks like I'll get my windows tinted for $100 and deal with a shade that I cannot open.

Quick Reply: Rear window sun shade issues