XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Removal of front parking light bulb

Old 01-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Angry Removal of front parking light bulb

I had no problem removing the bulb for the front parking / daytime running light on the passenger side of my 2006 XJ8. Just screwed off the round cap that covers the housing for the high beam bulb as well as this little 5w5 bulb, reached in followed the wire leads for the parking light bulb and turned it 1/4 and out came the black plastic tube the 5w5 bulb pushes into.

But on the drivers side - not luck! I can follow the wires to where the black tube goes through the headlamp but can't feel enough of it to get a grip on it to turn it or pull it out. Pulling gently on the wire leads does not good and I don't want to break them.

Any ideas how to get this out? I need to change the bulb.

The following users liked this post:
jlkohel911 (11-14-2013)
Old 01-07-2012, 02:50 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

This might help, a couple photos of the inside. The first attempt at replacing the bulbs took about an hour for both park lamps. the second attempt was about 15 minutes. You can remove the bumper cover in less then 5.

Attached Thumbnails Removal of front parking light bulb-high-beam-park-lamp.jpg   Removal of front parking light bulb-imag0411.jpg  
Old 01-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up Fixed

I stuck my digital camera into the opening and took a picture to see what was going on and realized that there was only one clip (one must have previously broken, although this is a new car and I've never changed the 5w5 front parking light bulb before.

I bought a very small (4") pair of needle nosed pliers and got a good grip on the 1/4 inch of black plastic tube that was sticking out of the socket hole and came on to it. It took a lot of force (indeed one little piece of plastic broke off) but eventually pulling and twisting got it out.

I replaced the bulb and all is well!

Old 01-07-2012, 09:30 PM

Glade to hear of your success! It will be much easier next time.

I will be replacing my parking lamps with LEDs, ordered a couple a few weeks ago-they were too long. Waiting on a new batch.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by reyesl
Glade to hear of your success! It will be much easier next time.

I will be replacing my parking lamps with LEDs, ordered a couple a few weeks ago-they were too long. Waiting on a new batch.
Once you install it let us know.. also what is the part numbers, cost and where did you get them from?

Old 01-08-2012, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Good job ,thanks for your update

Old 01-08-2012, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by The_Ikon
Once you install it let us know.. also what is the part numbers, cost and where did you get them from?
I ordered them from "Autolumination".
194 168 W5W 2825 Map Led Parking Signal Marker Bulbs

Order the 194 SMT Bulbs $9.99 ea
9 Led SMT Tower II 194 168 W5W 2825

I got the website from another forum member.

Attached Thumbnails Removal of front parking light bulb-194_smt2_8k_wm.jpg  
Old 10-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by reyesl
How long was too long? The Tower II you mention are 32mm in length. That same site has Tower III that are 38mm. Anyone know the max diameter that will fit as well?

Old 10-12-2013, 05:06 AM

I could not reinstall the bulb holder into the headlight assy while it was mounted on the car. If I removed the headlight assy, I could have used those bulbs. The bulbs has to be the same diameter as the bulb holder or you will not get the bulb holder back into the slot.

Last edited by reyesl; 10-13-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:02 AM
doc
Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

All I can say about these globe positions is they are a P.I.A
I tried to fit LED globes to match the HID colour after an hour I gave up and bought a set of Phillips xenon white globes still took quite a while
I had to use a little mirror on a stick to see where they went the old XJR6 was easy as but they are done now

Old 07-11-2019, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi FRC, Many thanks for posting the pics, because that allows us to get some impression of the stuff hidden inside the lamp "box' I will follow yr lead and take a photo. I think this is one of the least impressive pieces of design that Jag has ever perpetrated ! It is a most unfriendly job to replace that bulb, especialy as most of us are not double jointed. My local jag dealer will not even comment on a way to replace the bulb, even though the owners handbook even ignores this bulb..almost as if it wasn't there ?

Old 07-13-2019, 04:12 PM
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Don't get me started on those stupid bulbs. I wanted to replace mine with better led bulbs than were fitted. On a side note dont get cheap ebay bulbs I have had some that have literally fallen apart. I now only get branded ones. Anyway back to the story, the passenger bulb went in OK but the drivers side would not come out. It looks like I had pushed it in a little to far and that meant it wasn't coming out. Fast forward a few months and I am taking the bumper off to replace pipes and replace the bumper ( it has a very bad repair and spray job on it) so I use this as a chance to get the headlight out and replace the bulb. Even with it sat I front of me with good light it still took ages to get that ******* out! All done now and just waiting for the bumper to be resprayed. Best car I had for bulb access was my old mk3 Ford Mondeo that took about 2 minutes to remove both headlights.

Old 03-11-2024, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Jaguar XJ8

I have what appears to be my daytime running light out on the driver side as well. When I pulled the cover off and light out I found what looks to be the issue — the harness (the black plastic tube you spoke about) looks all burned up. Light still seems to work and be in good condition but I need to replace that black plastic tube. Any idea what it’s specifically called?

Originally Posted by frcraig
I had no problem removing the bulb for the front parking / daytime running light on the passenger side of my 2006 XJ8. Just screwed off the round cap that covers the housing for the high beam bulb as well as this little 5w5 bulb, reached in followed the wire leads for the parking light bulb and turned it 1/4 and out came the black plastic tube the 5w5 bulb pushes into.

But on the drivers side - not luck! I can follow the wires to where the black tube goes through the headlamp but can't feel enough of it to get a grip on it to turn it or pull it out. Pulling gently on the wire leads does not good and I don't want to break them.

Any ideas how to get this out? I need to change the bulb.