XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Replacing cassette player with CD player.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing cassette player with CD player.

Hello there. New user here!

I've just bought a Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign 2006 model. It's come with the usual sat nav but has a cassette player. I'd like to get a CD player fitted.
What is the best way to go about this? Are they easy to fit? Do I need to take it to a garage. Fairly child like when it comes to these things and I'm 22!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Josh

Old 12-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Easier to buy one of these, and plug in your iPod.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/T7...ssette-adapter

Last edited by paddyh; 12-16-2014 at 10:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Don B (08-11-2015)
Old 12-19-2014, 05:30 AM
Received 131 Likes on 67 Posts

This is one thing that I put together this spring that didn't require any major changes, and you can choose any CD player you want, I just used the one there as an example. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...55/#post943415

Also, why not stop by the New Users section and tell us about yourself. New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

R,
Rags

Don B (08-11-2015)
Old 12-19-2014, 05:01 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by JWright92
Hello there. New user here!

I've just bought a Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign 2006 model. It's come with the usual sat nav but has a cassette player. I'd like to get a CD player fitted.
What is the best way to go about this? Are they easy to fit? Do I need to take it to a garage. Fairly child like when it comes to these things and I'm 22!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Josh

I wanted a multi-CD changer in my wife's XJ8 (2004) so I bought a used Jaguar unit from a salvage yard. They can be found pretty regularly on eBay for $75-125 but make sure you get one they list that they say will fit your car. you'll also need a short very specific cable to connect to the fiber-optic network that controls the changer. That will set you back about $25.00 as I recall.

You should already have the rack it will sit on in the left side inner panel in the trunk so installation is really pretty simple. In my case the CD Changer was a slightly smaller size than the shelf that holds it so I had to make a couple of very small adaptations (made from cardboard believe it or not) and the cable could have been about 6 inches longer but I figures out a way to route it so it would work. About the only fly in the ointment is that you may need to get someone with an SDD capable scanner to tell the entertainment module you now have a CD Changer.

Benefits !! Well no cutting up of the factory dash or wiring. Your steering wheel controls will control all it's functions. and you get to load 6 cd's which should give you 4 hrs. +/- of uninterrupted listening. Worked for me and her car only has the standard audio system and still sounds O.K.

Don B (08-11-2015)
Old 12-19-2014, 05:13 PM
doc
Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

My X350 came with a stacker in the boot and cassette in the dash

I bought a genuine CD head unit of E bay in the US then removed the stacker and fitted a genuine jaguar Ipod controller in the console works really well remember to take it to a dealer to get the new head unit switched on

I don't have the premium sound with amp which is a bummer otherwise I would have gone further with new amps the sound is okay through the original speakers
one speaker is not doing so well so I bought some 2 ohm replacements that should give me a bit better sound

Don B (08-11-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 12:24 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Doc,

you wouldn't still have the cassette player? I can't find one. I have the 6cd changer so would like to you a cassette adapter for my phone.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:20 AM
doc
Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Hey FabCat you can have my old cassette player just pay for the shipping its in a box somewhere in my office I hope

Things have been starting to go missing in the pile just been so busy haven't had a chance to look for it

when I clean up in the next week Ill search for it and let you know

Originally Posted by FabCat
Hey Doc,

you wouldn't still have the cassette player? I can't find one. I have the 6cd changer so would like to you a cassette adapter for my phone.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:10 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That would be awesome, Cheers!

Old 07-04-2021, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would also like to make a change.

Hi guys. I have a sovereign xj8 x356 2006 that came with the cassette player in the front and CD changer in the rear.
Now from what I gather from other posts on the subject there are two different cassette decks. I have the slim model that fits under the Sat Nav, it doesn't have a number pad nor a CDC button. In reality it seems I have a CD changer in the rear but no way from the "cab" to change from one CD to the next beyond listening to the last track on a CD and it hopes to the next CD in turn.
I am asking can I simply buy the slim line CD player that fits in under the Sat Nav and use the same connectors.
I am not interested in changing facias and installing an after market player nor linking up an iPod or MP3 player. I like the tactile feeling of CDs and have zero interest downloading all my CDs, killing my phone or subscribing to get my downloads. I'm a simple put it in press play kind of guy.
Thanks for your time reading this long text.