XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Right Rear tail light and brake light not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Right Rear tail light and brake light not working

Hi,

My Right Rear tail light and brake light are not working. The back up light and turn signal do work. I've tried two different light assemblies, and both operated the same. I replaced the fuse I think controls the lights - #15 in the trunk fuse box, and that didn't help. The wiring connection looks fine.

I bought an OEM shop manual dvd, and that didn't help any.

I really hate to have to take it to the dealer to get it fixed.

Has anyone had this problem before? Have any ideas of what it might be?

Also - is there anyway to search on this forum to find old posts that might reference this topic? I don't see a search option anywhere.

Thanks!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,937 Posts

You really need a little AVO meter to check out where there are volts, and where not. Once you have this, check the plug that goes into the back of the light unit to see if there is volts on the tail light supply when switched on. If not, you have to work backwards to the next point, (probably the fuse). If there is volts, the fault is in the light unit.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:28 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

The tail light and brake light utilize LED arrays. The right side is supplied by fuse #15 in the trunk. Did you check that visually, or with a meter? I would replace it with a new one, period. Next, in the trunk fusebox you'll see three brown relays. With the ignition OFF pull the first one (farthest from the rear bumper) and switch it with the third one (closest to the bumper). Try the brake/tail lights now.

If they're still not working and you're sure the light assembly is not the issue because you've swapped it with a known good one, then you could have a defective relay in the fusebox that is not replaceable, or a defective rear control module. In either of these cases, you're headed to the dealer.

Last edited by steve11; 06-10-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Default swapping relays worked!

I went out to my car and swapped the relays and now the lights work! That makes me very happy.

An additional question - with the relays swapped, does that mean that something else might not be working now? Do I need a new relay? And did you say that they aren't replacable?

Thanks SO, SO, SO much for helping!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Well, the answer is obvious, the defective relay is still fitted to your car, but in another place, and hence circuit ! Mark the defective relay with a dab of yellow paint, (so you remember which of the identical three it is !!), then buy another one and replace.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:16 AM
ud

Originally Posted by Alice
I went out to my car and swapped the relays and now the lights work! That makes me very happy.

An additional question - with the relays swapped, does that mean that something else might not be working now? Do I need a new relay? And did you say that they aren't replacable?

Thanks SO, SO, SO much for helping!
Alice,

As Fraser says, the relay you moved to the farthest position is probably bad, or intermittent (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't). These relays are the pretty inexpensive ones - about $5.00, but dealer might be more, maybe as much as $20. The part number on these relays is - LJA6703AA. They can be purchased at a number of places. The onsite vendors probably have them. I've purchased them from a number of sources including rockauto.com.

On the non-replaceable relays - the X350 incorporated a number of relays directly into PCBs in all three fuse boxes. These relays are soldered into the pcbs and are non-replaceable. I wasn't sure at first whether the replaceable R3 relay would solve your problem, or if it was one of the non-replaceable ones, but after I sent my first reply, I checked my schematics, then became pretty sure R3 was the next electrical gate.

So, NO, no pcbs or rather entire fuse boxes need to be replaced in your situation...just get a new relay. In fact, why don't you make it two at $5 each and replace both.

BTW - the relay I had you switch was the heater blower motor. You might find the fan doesn't work now, or intermittently doesn't work until you buy a new relay. The bad one is now in the R1 position, or the one farthest away from the rear bumper.

Last edited by steve11; 06-10-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought a relay from jag and they are about $17.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

MSRP for that relay is $5.70. Online purchase is $4.62.
Updated part number is: C2P11192

Old 06-11-2010, 06:36 AM
ud

George,

The new number is Jaguar's number. The aftermarket still uses the the LJA variant but doesn't recognize the C2P

Rock Auto, for example, shows the LJA, but not the C2P, so if you shop outside the dealership use the LJA

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Use the part number search in the URL.

Last edited by steve11; 06-11-2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:41 AM

Thanks for the info. I just checked RockAuto Parts and they say: Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 30 business days. I called the dealer and they say the relay is $11, so I'll head over there and get one.

Steve - if water got into the trunk fuse box, could that have caused the relay to go bad? And is it likely that there is more damage there that isn't obvious yet? If metal is corroding, maybe more things, including the non-replaceable items will start going out?

In January, when it was freezing here for weeks and we had three feet of snow, I had to replace my battery and I found 5 inches of solid ice in the trunk.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:09 AM
ud

Alice - Interesting on the relays at Rockauto. I just purchased 6 of them about a month ago. Maybe I bought up all the stock LOL! The dealers can sometimes gouge you on these. If you're interested, here is one on Ebay:

http://stores.ebay.com/knockonthedoo...&submit=Search

Yes, water ingress in the trunk is serious. If everything is dried out now with no other signs of failure, you might be through the woods.

The X350s have an inherent weakness on the trunk seal, left side (driver's side). Water ingress makes its way past the seal and behind the trunk dress panel where there are lots of eletronics like the nav and CD changer. All those working OK? I'm guessing this is what happened to yours. Water entered there and settled in the spare wheel well and froze?

I need to clarify Non-replaceable. On X350s, Jaguar moved to some integrated component electronics in all three fuseboxes. This means that some of the unplug/plug relays moved to printed circuit boards now located in the fuse boxes. Older models used all plug/unplug components. It is not that these units cannot be replaced, but to replace any bad PCB component, the entire fusebox has to be replaced. So, it can be done, just a lot more money now as you will be replacing lots of other components that are good just to get the bad one replaced.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve11
Alice,

As Fraser says, the relay you moved to the farthest position is probably bad, or intermittent (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't). These relays are the pretty inexpensive ones - about $5.00, but dealer might be more, maybe as much as $20. The part number on these relays is - LJA6703AA. They can be purchased at a number of places. The onsite vendors probably have them. I've purchased them from a number of sources including rockauto.com.

On the non-replaceable relays - the X350 incorporated a number of relays directly into PCBs in all three fuse boxes. These relays are soldered into the pcbs and are non-replaceable. I wasn't sure at first whether the replaceable R3 relay would solve your problem, or if it was one of the non-replaceable ones, but after I sent my first reply, I checked my schematics, then became pretty sure R3 was the next electrical gate.

So, NO, no pcbs or rather entire fuse boxes need to be replaced in your situation...just get a new relay. In fact, why don't you make it two at $5 each and replace both.

BTW - the relay I had you switch was the heater blower motor. You might find the fan doesn't work now, or intermittently doesn't work until you buy a new relay. The bad one is now in the R1 position, or the one farthest away from the rear bumper.
about 6 inches of water got in my trunk I believe it shorted a bunch of things my driver side taillight being most important the fog light works but not the brake light I tried switching relays no luck they were corroded I sanded them but no luck I’m thinking I need a new fuse box?

Old 08-01-2023, 01:52 PM
Default Driver Side Tail Light / Brake Light Not working

Good Afternoon All,
I have a bit of a small issue or at least I hope. My brake light, when I go to brake, works just fine, as if nothing is wrong with it. However when the lights are currently turned on, the only part of the light that does not work is the actual red light (LED) in the middle of the light, the little light at the top works fine, as does the turn feature...even the rear fog lights work...

Anyone know what this could be. I read it could possibly the relay... are we talking about the fuse box in the middle of the back seat or in the truck on the passenger side.

Also, if the passenger side in the truck where the battery is located I dont currently see a fuse #15

Please advise...Thanks in advance.

Old 08-01-2023, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,787 Likes on 719 Posts

Hi Martez78,

Your profile indicates you have a 2013 XJL, that would make yours a Jaguar X351.
You have posted in the X350/X358 area of the forum, which the members here do not share the same model as you.
I suggest you re-post your question in the X351 forum to seek specific advice on your model.

By the way, it can be helpful if you add your model, engine type, transmission and other details of your car (mileage etc) into your signature, so members have an good idea of what you have and may be able to answer any questions faster and more concisely.

Old 08-02-2023, 12:02 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by steve11
Alice - Interesting on the relays at Rockauto. I just purchased 6 of them about a month ago. Maybe I bought up all the stock LOL! The dealers can sometimes gouge you on these. If you're interested, here is one on Ebay:

http://stores.ebay.com/knockonthedoo...&submit=Search

Yes, water ingress in the trunk is serious. If everything is dried out now with no other signs of failure, you might be through the woods.

The X350s have an inherent weakness on the trunk seal, left side (driver's side). Water ingress makes its way past the seal and behind the trunk dress panel where there are lots of eletronics like the nav and CD changer. All those working OK? I'm guessing this is what happened to yours. Water entered there and settled in the spare wheel well and froze?

I need to clarify Non-replaceable. On X350s, Jaguar moved to some integrated component electronics in all three fuseboxes. This means that some of the unplug/plug relays moved to printed circuit boards now located in the fuse boxes. Older models used all plug/unplug components. It is not that these units cannot be replaced, but to replace any bad PCB component, the entire fusebox has to be replaced. So, it can be done, just a lot more money now as you will be replacing lots of other components that are good just to get the bad one replaced.
Hi Steve11
Really great advice you are giving. I would just like to point out that the fuse boxes or electrical junction boxes are technically not serviceable, but are actually quite simple to repair. There are no active electronics in them. There are two circuit boards joined in a sandwich with over a hundred pins. If you use a rotary tool (dremel) cutting disc to saw through all the pins, the relays on the circuit board are accessible to change. Afterwards, just solder all the cut pins together again. For those of us in locations where these Jaguars and spare parts for them are very rare, some creative repair work is sometimes necessary.

Pete M

Old 08-02-2023, 08:18 AM
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

I spent ages trying to find a water leak in my trunk with no luck. Then one day the audio stopped working, found the path the water was taking and where from. It was the joint between 2 panels, if you look at the top corners of the trunk hole yo will see the joint. I smeared the joint with clear rtv and its been fine since but just to be sure I put plastic sheeting over the electrics.

Old 11-21-2023, 11:03 AM

@steve11 I am having what appears to be the same issue Alice was having please see:

Hi,

My Right Rear tail light and brake light are not working. The back up light and turn signal do work. I've tried two different light assemblies, and both operated the same. I replaced the fuse I think controls the lights - #15 in the trunk fuse box, and that didn't help. The wiring connection looks fine.

I bought an OEM shop manual dvd, and that didn't help any.

I really hate to have to take it to the dealer to get it fixed.

Has anyone had this problem before? Have any ideas of what it might be?

Also - is there anyway to search on this forum to find old posts that might reference this topic? I don't see a search option anywhere.

Thanks!

Wondering if you are refering to the brown fuses (40) in the trunk...I just want to be sure?