Shift Lever Stuck in Park

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 05:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts
Old 01-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by presidential27
How would I go about checking the shift cable mounting bolts?
Need to get under the car and look up the right-side of the tranny.

Attached Thumbnails Shift Lever Stuck in Park-cable%2520mounting%2520bolts.jpg  
Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by reyesl
Got the new J-gate today and verified the board:

This is the old "burnt board...

And this is the replacement....

I am currently in no hurry to swap out the boards, will do this on a bad weather day..
Did you notice the loose screw lying in the mechanism?

Old 01-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Well spotted - do you think that would that bridge between the PCB and the bracket with the blue line on it?

Old 01-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Question

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Well spotted - do you think that would that bridge between the PCB and the bracket with the blue line on it?
Don't think so, there is a small gap between the board and the J-Gate Housing. I might make an attempt to replace the board this weekend - Snow expected on Saturday.

Last edited by reyesl; 01-04-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by oldmots
Did you notice the loose screw lying in the mechanism?
The Black Screw fell when I removed the circuit board/top of the J-Gate assy to take the photo.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:36 AM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Wonder if this is my problem. Shifter fuse keeps blowing.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stuck in Park

I am having the same problem. The car gets stuck in park sometimes then after playing with it for a while I can get it to work. Happened one time a few days ago. Again the next day. Then a few times yesterday so it seems to be getting worse. I'm planning to jack the car up today and check the bolts on the linkage.
My second guess would be the Brake switch since it seems like it's the safety lock not working sometimes when I press the brake. Any help will be appreciated. I am looking through some old posts also.
Thanks!

Old 09-13-2014, 10:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Updating my shift lever sticking in park sometimes. I replaced the shift assmebly and so far everthing is working like it should. No more sticking shift lever. Thanks for all the help and ideas.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello
My Car 2004 Jag xj8 the Gear shift goes to N and D Only.. Cant get it to Park or Reverse?

Old 02-28-2015, 09:13 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas6
Hello My Car 2004 Jag xj8 the Gear shift goes to N and D Only.. Cant get it to Park or Reverse?
check the shifter cable on the transmission - make sure both bolts are present and tight on the transmission side.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:48 PM
Default Please help

Hello their I hope you can offer any help in my current situation.. I made a mistake of leaving the sunroof open in the rain, water got into the j gate , and now it is stuck in park and won't release once foot brake applied..Please tell me if there is anything I can do...

Originally Posted by GregW
This is a longshot but when you insert the key and turn the ignition to power the car's systems does the the "P" on the J gate light up red? It should illuminate red. If not, this would indicate an electrical issue.

A friend of mine (okay yours truly) spilled coffee across the J gate once and my shift lever was stuck in park for 12 hours. During that time the P didn't light. Only when it lit again could I then get the car out of park.

If anyone spills liquid in the J gate PM me and I'll share my experience. There's an electrical harness underneath and when wet it will turn your car's electrical system haywire. My dash lit up like a Christmas tree and every possible fault flashed including CATS fault etc. for about 12 hours until it started to dry. During that time the car was not drivable as it was stuck in Park.

Lesson to all - when you put a paper or styrofoam cup in the cup holder be very careful. In my case, I leaned on the center armrest to adjust myself and the pressure of my weight jolted the armrest forward which severed the styrofoam coffee cup in half, sending a flood of coffee across the J gate.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:55 PM
Default Please help

Originally Posted by GregW
This is a longshot but when you insert the key and turn the ignition to power the car's systems does the the "P" on the J gate light up red? It should illuminate red. If not, this would indicate an electrical issue.

A friend of mine (okay yours truly) spilled coffee across the J gate once and my shift lever was stuck in park for 12 hours. During that time the P didn't light. Only when it lit again could I then get the car out of park.

If anyone spills liquid in the J gate PM me and I'll share my experience. There's an electrical harness underneath and when wet it will turn your car's electrical system haywire. My dash lit up like a Christmas tree and every possible fault flashed including CATS fault etc. for about 12 hours until it started to dry. During that time the car was not drivable as it was stuck in Park.

Lesson to all - when you put a paper or styrofoam cup in the cup holder be very careful. In my case, I leaned on the center armrest to adjust myself and the pressure of my weight jolted the armrest forward which severed the styrofoam coffee cup in half, sending a flood of coffee across the J gate.
Hello there I made the mistake of leaving the sunroof open in the rain and water got into the jgate shifter and now it is stuck in park and will not release with foot brake applied ,I 've dried it as best as I could and still nothing
Is there anything I can do to manually release ????

Old 11-28-2016, 05:50 AM

The only way is to disengage the park solenoid in the J-Gate housing. It is a safety device and should be done as a last resort as you will no longer have a locking device for PARK.

My J-Gate circuit board shorted and I removed the park locking device (see post #32) till I could locate a new board (see post #43).

Last edited by reyesl; 11-28-2016 at 05:56 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:35 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default J gate

Carefully open the gate by removing the top shield.
Use a hair dryer.
Not too hot.
Lots of air.
Should improve your chances of recovery.
Good luck.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by vacmail
LOOK under the car where the linkage cable attachés to the transmission... you will find the two screws/bolts.

Sometime one will fall out

Hope this will help. I keep saying I'm going to get under mine and check this before it happens to me, have not done it yet. but i will now after seeing your post.

good luck

This post is from panels on 11-13-2010.
I was going to wait, but I see you had not got any other reply's.
This was exact my problem. Only both bolts were missing. By any chance does you know which bolt should I get to replace the missing ones?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:16 AM
Thumbs up Shifter in Park, Transmission in Reverse

Thanks for all of the information on this problem. My 14 year old 2004 XJ8 had this issue when it came to a stop in front of my driveway. I thought the car was in park, but it continued to roll. After turning the ignition off the car would not start due to the shifter being out of Park. My reverse object sensor is faulty, so when it sounded as I turned the ignition to start I knew the transmission was in Reverse.

After reading this thread I was hopeful that the loose bolt was the culprit. Indeed it was. One of the two was on the ground under the car. It is a tight spot getting the bolt back into place. Simply tightening the screws allowed for the shifter to set properly. I now have a heavy duty floor jack and stands for future maintenance and repairs.

Saved me from having to tow it away on a flatbed. Although I am a DIYer, my wife is quite impressed that I was able to repair this with help from the forum.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:31 AM

I have a 1998 XJR and itrs been snowing etc. in Philly this week. I could not get the car out of Park. I waited a day, and tried it again. I heard the solenoid open when I touched the brake pedal and VOILA it got into gear.

24 hours later.... cant get it out of park. Brake does not actuate solenoid.

Is it electrical harness, solenoid, pedal wire, etc?

Old 03-11-2018, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

The brake may be the clue and cause.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

Wrong forum ELI sorry.

Quick Reply: Shift Lever Stuck in Park