XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

smartphone bluetooth connectivity with Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossignol
I have the same vehicle, 2004 XJ8 VDP w/ nav and the cd changer in the trunk..... i would love to know if you ended up with a working Bluetooth system that allows the use of the steering wheel controls and factory speakers with the latest iPhones
Mine is 2005 X350 3.0 V6. I installed the iSIMPLE ISFM2351 TRANZIT BLU HF a year ago. It works very well with my iPhone 6SE and original in-car entertainment equipment including steering wheel controls.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by philc850
I have a 2007 XJ Super V8 and the factory bluetooth connects instantly to my iphone 6plus. You can pair the phone (only 1 phone at a time but you can replace any phone with another any time). You can also download your phone book from your smartphone into your car's phone directory. Let me know if you need help on how to do these 2 things.

I have a2007 XJ diesel and an iPhone 7..... My phone connects the same as yours and I have uploaded my contacts list but the issue I have is the microphone does not seem to work properly when the phone is connected..... the phone mute's the radio as normal and you can here the other person but they cannot hear you - the microphone in the car is fine as it works faultlessly with the other voice commands.
I have disconnected it a few times and started again and it does occasionally work but not often!!

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Old 05-29-2017, 09:30 AM

Hello I have an 08 and want to add cdc in trunk .The car has NAV already what else do I need to hook up the changer .Is the harness already for the connection ?
Thanks, SAL

Old 04-21-2018, 04:38 PM
Aix
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Tanks to the info here and some other posts I also finally made it to have bluetooth phone capability in my car. Judging the amount of discussion about this topic going on in several sources of X350 knowledge I quickly summarize the steps I did in a way it should be easy to repeat. My car was equipped with the Motorola handset, which I found quite nostalgic, but not usable. So there was a phone module installed already, which made it easier because the wiring was there and also the microphone for hands-free talking was already installed (the one in the roof console).

First thing you will want is the newer black plastic phone module as mentioned by Acer721 in #23. Ebay is your friend for that.

Last 2 letters are the version number, AB works for me so I would assume that anything higher than AB will also work. Can't speak for AA, if that ever made the market.

Next thing you need is a bluetooth antenna, or something that can be made into one. As I wasn't sure how well the connection between the module and the phone would be with different types and makes of antennas I decided to allow a change of the antenna without full disassembly of the module. So I got a little piggytail that fits the BT antenna FAKRA socket on the module side and has an SMA connector on the other side to easily connect different types of antennas.

Then I got a simple SMA cable long enough to reach the parcel shelf which I made into the antenna.

Cut the end that doesn't pair with the piggytail and free 31mm of the cable from its shielding (31mm is the right length for a BT antenna)

Then shrink some protection over it to make it a nice antenna that will survive being pushed under the parcel shelf

Next you will need to exchange the old metal handset-phone-module against the new plastic BT module. Take out all the carpets on the left and loosen the rack.

When you pull out the rack you see the connections of the old phone module from behind. There have been reports of very short cables and warnings to be careful when pulling the rack forward. In my case there was ample cable length to just pull the whole assembly out and tip it over.

The old and new module in comparison

You will no longer need the areal antenna that connected to the old module because the mobile phone brings that from now on. What you will need instead is the BT antenna to connect the mobile phone to the module and thereby the car.
The other 2 plugs are identical for both modules.
Now the new module is substantially small than the old one and you will need an adapter plate of some sort to fit the black one into the place of the old one. I made a simple (and admittedly ugly) adapter from a wooden plate.

Then just installed the new module in the rack and connect the optical bus, the big plug (for lack of a better name) and the BT antenna that I created.

In this picture you can still see my test BT antenna, which is basically just a with an imprinted antenna. Unfortunately the antenna was too long and wouldn't fit behind the rack, so I had to use my self-built antenna from further above. Probably the connection also wouldn't have been too good with the antenna tucked away in the trunk behind the rack. Not so pretty, for simplicity and speed I just bolted the screws through the plate, but I hope I won't have to see this again (which would mean it's working)

And now the incredible, after plugging the whole thing together everything worked out of the box. The module went into discovery right away (ok, I had to turn the key first ...)

and only a few seconds later both ends of the deal showed readiness.
Car reports connection:

Phone finds the BT connection called Jaguar and can be connected with the standard passkey 1313.

I didn't even have to trigger the discovery in the car by the ##3#*# command that the official documentation mentions.
Yeah! Usually I'm scared of this electronic tinkering because these stupid computers never talk to each other the way they should. But this was one of the easier ones, no cabling, just use what's already there and making a little antenna is no big feat.

I hope this can reassure those who are not sure how to get a modern communication connection into a very early X350 (it's from June 2003, one of the first) and can help some to do the same.

Oh, although I didn't mention it, the test calls also all worked and quite contrary to other statements the voice quality by the console mic in the roof was reported to be excellent by the one on the other end.

Next target: STREAMING by the benwillcox method

Last edited by Aix; 04-21-2018 at 04:43 PM. Reason: some additions
The following 3 users liked this post by Aix:
Dennis_Marcus (01-08-2022), paddyx350 (04-25-2018), The Moneypit (04-23-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 08:42 AM
Received 212 Likes on 138 Posts

Aix
I have a 2003 xjr with the Motorola phone, just ordered the module off ebay and I'm going to have a go at this, Thanks for the great post

Old 04-25-2018, 09:08 AM

Aix

Your pigtail connector is this one OK?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/SMA-male-to-...4AAOSwWWxY-SNt
Have one to sell? Sell it yourself

SMA male to Fakra D Plug - Convertor

Old 04-25-2018, 09:14 AM
Aix

Originally Posted by paddyx350
Aix
I have a 2003 xjr with the Motorola phone, just ordered the module off ebay and I'm going to have a go at this, Thanks for the great post
I keep my fingers crossed for your conversion and that your electronics talk to each other as simply as mine did. Keep us posted

My installation may still need a bit shifting of the antenna position, but not sure. Sometimes the phone is there directly after start even before I have the gear in D, sometimes it takes a few hundred meters of discovery.
But that may also be due to the bluetooth ELM327 dongle I always have in the OBD2 port. Possibly they are connecting in random order on start.
Fortunately, with the piggytail piece, I can change to whatever antenna I like with just a little pull on the carpet

Old 04-25-2018, 09:18 AM
Aix

Aix

Your pigtail connector is this one OK?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/SMA-male-to-...4AAOSwWWxY-SNt
Have one to sell? Sell it yourselfSMA male to Fakra D Plug - Convertor
No, that's a FAKRA plug (male), you need a socket on the piggytail (female). And it seems the coding of the pins is also not the correct one, but pics are quite small.
You can have a look at the picture in my thread in which the 2 modules are displayed from above. There you can see the location of the coding pins on the module.
The black module has a plug shape (male) so your piggytail needs a socket type connector.
The lower pin on the picture with the two modules is the lock. The two pins diagonally from top right to lower left are the pokayoke pins to only allow the right connector. With a little 3D imagination you'll find the socket that fits onto this plug spec.

On the SMA end you just have to make sure that the end of the piggytail fits to one end of the actual antenna cable. I messed that up and had to bridge a piece of copper as a soul in between the 2 female center connectors. Still works, but theory tells that signal transmission doesn't exactly get better from this.

Last edited by Aix; 04-25-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:29 AM
Aix

There is also a quite good thread on this already here
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...-106458/page2/
This was more or less the blueprint for my tinkering together with this thread here.
Post #72 shows the FAKRA plug of my module in detail and a list of all FAKRA codes. The one on the module should be "G" or "I". In case of my test antenna rather "I" because the socket is cream colored as in the description.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Aix
There is also a quite good thread on this already here
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...-106458/page2/
This was more or less the blueprint for my tinkering together with this thread here.
Post #72 shows the FAKRA plug of my module in detail and a list of all FAKRA codes. The one on the module should be "G" or "I". In case of my test antenna rather "I" because the socket is cream colored as in the description.
+1 on the above. That is the thread that helped me install OEM Bluetooth.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:43 PM

Thanks for that info
I've read through that and hope I've ordered a compatible BMW Bluetooth antenna with a 1m lead which should allow placement under the rear shelf
I'll let you know how I get on when the stuff arrives in the post.
Thanks again

Old 05-03-2018, 04:23 PM

Ok
Received my used Bluetooth module ref 7W9310D893AB from a seller in Germany. It was out of a 2008 2.0D xtype
Also ordered and received today a BMW bluetooth antenna with a universal fakra connection
Took out the old GSM Motorola telephone module under the CD changer in the boot, plugged in the replacement unit turned on the ignition and it worked straight away!
My phone book downloaded and is available on the screen
Made a few test calls and its as clear as day
Brilliant
Cost 50 euro for the second hand bluetooth module and 13 euro for the antenna
Thanks to the previous posters for the information.

The following 2 users liked this post by paddyx350:
Deepstuff (03-14-2024), Dennis_Marcus (01-08-2022)
Old 05-04-2018, 02:23 AM
Aix

Ok
Received my used Bluetooth module ref 7W9310D893AB from a seller in Germany. It was out of a 2008 2.0D xtype
Also ordered and received today a BMW bluetooth antenna with a universal fakra connection
Took out the old GSM Motorola telephone module under the CD changer in the boot, plugged in the replacement unit turned on the ignition and it worked straight away!
My phone book downloaded and is available on the screen
Made a few test calls and its as clear as day
Brilliant
Cost 50 euro for the second hand bluetooth module and 13 euro for the antenna
Thanks to the previous posters for the information.
Congratulations! I'm glad that things for you went as smooth as they did in my car.

And interesting that you got your quite inexpensive module from Germany. When I searched for one here end of last year, everything I found was forbiddingly epensive, I found mine out of the UK for only a bit more than yours.

Where did you located the antenna and what is your connection quality between phone and car?
In mine I realize that I have sometime noise during a call and occasional interruptions, depending on where I locate the phone. But I have to admit I only stuffed the antenna into an opening at the back of the rear seat and didn't spend much time with that.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:17 AM

Aix,
I haven't used it much but so far the connection quality is OK
Like you I just put the antenna under the carpet at the back of the boot behind the rear seat.
I thought the 1m lead on the antenna would allow me to get it a bit nearer to the front of the car.

Old 09-09-2021, 08:42 AM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Why Get Angry

Excuse me but why would someone get angry that cars manufactured YEARS before the first iphone ever came out (It was 2007) aren’t compatible!?

When Jag’s added phone controls they were for what was available at that time. One of my earlier Jag’s had a dash button because Jaguar had an available “Car phone” which was mounted to the center console.

Jaguar published lists of compatible devices when Bluetooth was first an option. and if you added it, there may be more than one component necessary.

This is copied from the accessories booklet published 12/06

”BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY MODULE
Enjoy hands-free use of compatible Bluetooth- enabled mobile phones without the use of cables, plugs, docking stations or an external antenna. Available on XJs made during or after the 2004 model year.
Bluetooth Module C2C 33822
PSE Module C2C 34515
For the most current list of Bluetooth-enabled mobile phones that are compatible with this Jaguar accessory, consult your local Jaguar dealer.”

Remember, the first phones to use bluetooth were NOT iphones OR tablets of ANY kind. If you expect an auto manufacturer to reprogram hardwired circuitry to be compatible for the thousands of new devices that have been created over decades you’re not thinking in the real world. Hell, in the US they’re only required to have parts manufactured and available for five years after the vehicle’s model year.

Last edited by mc690; 09-09-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-28-2023, 07:19 PM

Hi, I have bought all the parts, but my 2003 xj8 does not have the phone module in boot. Is there any way, I can install the Bluetooth module?

Old 06-29-2023, 02:44 AM
Aix

Yes, introduction of the module should be possible. There is a required order to all the elements in the optical bus, if you plug the module into the correct position then it should work.

SwedishViking2 has mentioned the order of elements in this thread at #85:
Updated OEM Bluetooth
[QUOTE]If you have more modules, the order is Audio Module (D2B Master) -> CD changer -> MOST Gateway (only for DAB) -> Phone -> Voice activation -> Rear ICE and TV controls -> Navigation -> the Amplifier -> back to the Audio Module.[/QUOTE]

The software of the car should recognize the existence of the new element on startup and take it into operation.
Depending on the original equipment of your specific car you may of course still need to fit the microphone(s)