XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

So here is an electrical question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 10:03 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Default So here is an electrical question

I posted some 2 weeks ago I believe about getting an oil change, driving home, parking the car in the garage and 2-3 days later it was dead as a doornail with some relay clicking away in the trunk fuse box. So I put the battery charger on it and fully charged it, hooked it back up and everything works fine. Yeah !

Then I go to walk into the house and notice the side marker lights on the passenger side are still on. I know they are on delay but still. I stand there for at least 60 seconds and they don't go off, I walk around the car, check the drivers side and they are off.

I set about restarting the car, shutting it off and waiting 2 more times both well over a minute and in both cases the passenger side markers never go off but the driver side does. Hmmm..... Think this is what caused the batter drain over a couple days ? Also, given I normally only drive during the day (I work at home and only go out once a day) and with the sunlight that comes in the garage I could easily miss the fact that those couple days they were still on.

So I have no electrical background or experience which is why I want to ask here if anyone has any idea whats causing this. I shut off the auto headlight feature. I have driven the car and its working fine so I have to believe something to do with the marker lights or the light switch causes this.

Help ???

Thanks !

Old 06-21-2018, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 281 Posts

With the auto lights off, the lights stay off all around? Only with the lights in automatic do the passenger side marker lights stay on after the delay period?

Below are the schematics for the marker lights. They share no common circuits on the passenger side. Front markers are fed by F25 in the passenger fuse box, grounded by the FEM. The rear markers are fed by F18 in the rear fuse box, and ground is provided by the REM. All markers are fed by an ignition switched relays (which are controlled by the FEM and REM).

Are you sure the lights are staying on the passenger side only (just double checking, since those are also reflectors, maybe they are off)? The way the front circuit is wired, the FEM provides a ground to both from marker lamps simultaneously, and the power comes from the same location. It wouldn't be possible to have only 1 lamp stay on unless something was wrong at that passenger side lampholder. Check there first. The rears are slightly different being provided with separate grounds, but start with the front since it eliminates one variable.

Yes if they did stay on that would definitely drain your battery. These marker lights are prone to having water intrusion and rusting out (causing a failure), but it might be possible something is providing a ground path and allowing those to stay on. I would start by pulling the offending lamps and checking to see if the FEM/REM is actually providing a ground path. Clearly they are provided with 12V+.

Last edited by mhamilton; 06-21-2018 at 12:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mhamilton:
John Fox (06-22-2018), rsa760041 (06-25-2018)