XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Describe your 'Ghost' here. (Read Electrical Issue)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,146 Likes on 752 Posts
Default Describe your 'Ghost' here. (Read Electrical Issue)

I thought it would be interesting to start a thread describing some interesting electrical (ghost) issues that members have observed. Mine started after I had some audio equipment installed, and all were corrected with a total 'reboot' of the system - disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery for several minutes. My Jag service tech recommended this after describing my symptoms.

Of which, included:
[ul][*]Key FOB would not let me arm the car's security system...three tones I think[*]Opened my drivers door, and the car would display 'passenger door open' instead[*]Vanity light would stay on constantly, no matter if I started the car and drove away (this was annoying at night. Reminded me of those TV shows where the driver is illuminated for filming)[*]Passenger side window would not roll down from the driver's controls. Passenger side controls worked fine. [*]Convertible up/down access was not allowed by using the key in the door...three tones again[*]Door locks would not engage (I removed all of my possessions for 2 days until it was fixed)[/ul]
All systems were secondary, thankfully. I kept wondering if something important would be next, like my headlamps or heaven forbid - the stereo. Anyone else have any interesting stories?

Old 04-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Describe your 'Ghost' here. (Read Electrical Issue)

Well my dad just bought his xk8 liek 3 weeks ago, and I havent been in it much, but the first time I drove it I pulled into the garage after a drive and when I turned off the key the battery died. The windows rolled down when I opened the door, liek they supposed to, and the wheel went into the car, but then when I closed the door the windows stayed slightly down. Pulling the handle continued lowering the windows.

The wierd part was we fixed it by lifting the cover to the battery/spare tire in the trunk, and then lowered it and everything worked again. This happened to my dad once also.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:07 AM
Veteran member

Update: I had another 'glitch' happen about 2 weeks ago...when the sport button on the transmission turned RED and would not disengage. Yikes!! I remembered reading about some other owner having the same stuck button and I got worried (only a little as I still have some warranty on it)But, just as before, 'resetting' the computer by disconnecting the negative terminal for a couple minutes cleared it up. It now activates and deactivates without incident. Just like my computer...when it acts up...reboot.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea we fixed the dead battery by liftin trunk cover, but then the windows need to be reset. That;s just how it goes, when the battery dies u have to reprogram the windows

Old 08-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

My issue sucks big time, I think this is why the previous owner got rid of the car. and i was to starey eye to notice it. i am still kicking my self in the *** for this.

The air bag light is on. i noticed it the next day after i got the car , i like the car way way to much to bring it back. i know im a retard. so i took it to The Jag Shop hear in Portland. they hooked up to the car and got 2 codes out of the car. one from the ECM and one from the air bag computer. The ECM said the instrument cluster was not responding to its CAN network signals. And the other one was the air bag computer saying that it is not getting a response from the instrument cluster about if the light was on or not. They pulled the cluster and found a few bad soder joints. they re soder them. the ECM codes went away but not the air bag light. so i need a new cluster. a few G's from the dealer. so the Jag shop is looking for me to find a used one. Hay o well. They did say that the air bag system is working ok and will work in case of a wreck so for now i ignore the light.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Veteran member

Bullit, did you try a computer reset, just to try it. Couldn't hurt.

[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]