XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Stop me if you've heard this one.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 12:38 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Stop me if you've heard this one.

Can anyone provide part numbers or cross referenced performance brake pads for an 07 2007 Vanden Plas?

I have had a bit of a challenge finding higher performance ceramic brake pads for my 07 VDP. Akebono seems to be the only ones making high performance pads for the 06 + cars with 326mm rotors and single piston calipers, vs. the early x350 cars with 288mm rotors and twin piston front calipers. My 06 was always a pain to get rotors for, even when I specified it was after Chassis #G49701 - the cutover to the bigger rotors. 1.5" is a substantial amount of additional swept area, but the rears continued the same size pads (with different anti-rattle springs and some hardware differences, I believe.

Does anyone have working part numbers for performance pads? Seems like Hawk, EBC and others have abandoned pad manufacturer for these, based on the small market share of XJ cars, but early XF 4.2 had the same brakes for a few years and S-type 4.2 NA did as well. I have tried cross-referencing them until my eyes are crossed, and every time I think I have it figured out, some listing makes me doubt myself and back off. Nothing more risky than trying to by brake components based on online photos of pads that LOOK identical; nothing more annoying than having the wrong part in your hand after planning your brake job for a particular day and time.

I have seen EBC Red Stuff pads that appear to be correct and are listed as fitting, but when you go to their site, they have nothing listed for a 2007 Vanden Plas. Same deal on Hawk stuff, I think HPS or similar pads.

I don't mind the Akebono, but I wish there were more choices in higher end pads. Bosch makes "Quiet Cast Premium" Ceramic pads - for the rear only - BC1095 for the front they only make semi-metallic pads. Why? BP1241 - no BC1241 available. While these are not technically "performance" pads, they are top quality, without huge pieces of brass or copper in the pad material.

I sent back a set of "Power Stop" pads I got on Amazon. There were VERY large pieces of brass colored metal in the pad (Z23 Evolution, I think, but possibly the lower priced Z16) I called customer support and was told "That's the carbon fiber in our formulation. I begged to differ, since I pulled a piece out with a tweezers and it was definitely NOT carbon fiber. Sorry, but anything that is obviously formulated with big (relatively) chunks of metal in them are not going on my car.

I have even tried finding pad models with "1241" in the part number - with mixed success.

Note: Power Stop are nowhere near Stop Tech from what I have determined. Not saying they are bad, or that they won't be more than acceptable for most folks, but Power Stop should not be confused with Stop Tech, they are not in that class. Just an observation. Also: "Power Sport", and "E-Line" coated rotors - all budget choices - I got a full set of slotted only black coated rotors last year for less than $225 - but they are not high end or even close in terms of materials, construction, quality, consistency and defects. They are simply a budget solution with "sporting aspirations" is the kindest description I can muster. Installed correctly and not abused, they work. But keeping expectations in check is probably a good idea. I assume E-Line is a similar experience, maybe slighter better or worse. I fell for the coated rotor part since I have custom wheels and I was tired or rust spraying the inside of the wheels and making them nasty. I probably should have held out until I could afford EBC Slotted if I wanted a nice looking rotor. Ahh well. Live and learn.

Last edited by Blairware; 03-13-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

R1 CONCEPT sells cheap ceramic pads, that seem to work on the 04 XJ8, just fine.
Have a set still on the shelf, front, & rear, about $60 delivered for the 07.
Saw no metal in the 04 pads.
They are sent sealed in plastic wrap.
That keeps things clean, with small parts still there
So can't say for sure about the 07's.
But send them back if they have metal.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Wingrider
R1 CONCEPT sells cheap ceramic pads, that seem to work on the 04 XJ8, just fine.
Have a set still on the shelf, front, & rear, about $60 delivered for the 07.
Saw no metal in the 04 pads.
They are sent sealed in plastic wrap.
That keeps things clean, with small parts still there
So can't say for sure about the 07's.
But send them back if they have metal.
Much appreciated. I am hoping to find an EBS or Hawk number that fits. I already have gone through several sets of cheap ceramics, and they are ok, I just want to step up the braking is possible. Anyone?

Last edited by Blairware; 03-13-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Galfer makes green pads, kevlar for motorcycles, that polish the rotors to look like chrome.
With virtually no wear on them, they stop much like E B S, but wear longer than they do.
Having been with them since the 90's, my shop is still in their system.
Have not ordered anything for a few years.
I called them a couple years ago to ask if they made the green pads for Jaguars.
After all Galfer is into high performance braking systems for racing.
NO was the answer, but they appreciated me calling.
Maybe in the future, believe they said do a few cars

Old 03-13-2019, 01:27 PM

Removed duplicate post. Moderator, please remove if convenient. Thx.

Last edited by Blairware; 03-13-2019 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Edit - Removed duplicate post - I have no idea HOW it even did that!
Old 03-13-2019, 02:19 PM

Wingrider - Thanks - I have always admired quality engineering that is evident when you see and handle a product. I don't care so much about brand names, other than reputation, though even that seems to be less dependable in recent years. Brands that make a name for innovation and quality either try to increase profits, or have a hard time competing and suddenly disappointed customers start popping up.

I bought an air filter that impressed me quite a bit, from DNA - a motorcycle filter manufacturer that's adding a few car models. I love it! It's construction is very similar to K&N, cotton media, under a mesh screen with a rubber frame/gasket. It is designed NOT to use oil on the media, and while I can't speak for their test results for efficiency and performance, they appear to make an extremely high quality product, at about a third of what K&N gets. I have never had MAF fouling issues in an X350 with K&N air filters, but some folks are concerned about it, so this would be a good option.

The performance of an air filter, even a high flow design is not going to be perceptable - even if we have all see the reviews: "Shaved 3 seconds off my 1/4 mile, and my fuel mileage has doubled!" but I do get a nice intake note, and it seems to have a couple db's of volume. It's been many months, and I am NOT putting the paper filter back to compare.

I just wanted to give the product a mention, and note that I am impressed by it. Great value in that its a lifetime filter, is manufactured to a high quality, lasts the lifetime of the car, and can be cleaned every 50k miles without re-oiling like a K&N. I think it would compete with K&N at the same $50-ish price. I got it for the cost of a paper filter. If the company had no experience I probably would have passed, but with their motorcycle expertise, I was sold, and it's been one of the smarter purchases I have made for my car.

I cross referenced it using a K&N Model that fits S-Type 4.2 cars - fitment was spot on! Tell them I referred you and you will not only get a 0% discount, they will wonder what the hell is wrong with you.

DNA Motoring AFPN-042-GN Drop In Panel Air Filter [For 03-15 Jaguar S-Type XF XFR XJ XJR]
by DNA Motoring
Learn more:
Amazon Amazon

Old 03-15-2019, 05:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hope this helps my brake supplier has this listed : Jaguar 4.2 XJ8 2006-2009

EBC D1597 STANDARD - rotors
EBC DP1911 ULTIMAX2 - pads
EBC DP21911 GREENSTUFF - pads
EBC DP31911C REDSTUFF -pads
EBC DP41911R YELLOWSTUFF - pads
EBC PDKF985 -brake kit rotors/pads
EBC USR1597 ULTIMAX - high end performance rotors

I just fitted EBC rotors and yellow stuff pads to my super v8. Really nice feeling till now but only have the car 1 month soo.... Have a 2008 XJ8 Vanden Plas as well, Front rotors were a major problem for me (Vanden Plas). Bosch and other rotors seemed fine but got a steering wobble over 60mph so bad that it took me a whole suspension change and ended buying original rotors from Jag. Trust me i did all the checking and fitting of all the rotors and pads. Had bosch pay back my money. New shafts, new bearings, new wheels, new tyres, new whisbones and all suspension. Wobble was gone after a major brake update. Calipers removed and sanded, original rotors and pads, everything cleaned and grinded. This car does NOT tolerate any brake foolin around. Good stuff and people no fools on the brake job.