XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Sunroof out of alignment after opening in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sunroof out of alignment after opening in the winter

One of the fam accidentally pressed the sunroof open button in the winter and the sunroof tried to retract but got stuck. The one side (the right side IIRC) dropped down but the other side stayed in place and the mechanism made a click-click-click-click noise, as if a gear skipped along a track. Now when you slide the roof closed the right side does not go back up flush with the roof while the left side does.

The snow was coming down, and in a rush to close the roof I was able to get the sunroof flush by pushing up on the side that does not close all the way until the glass released upward with a popping sound.

I don't think the popping sound means anything broke, because I accidentally retracted it again the other day. (I need to pull that fuse.) When I closed it again, the right side of the roof did not raise all the way as before, and had to be popped up into position as before. It seems whatever I popped out gets popped back in when the sunroof retracts.

The sunroof retracts but opens as if pinch-protection has been activated when you try the one touch close. It does the same when you try to put it into vent mode. For now, it has to be coaxed toward the closed position with successive short presses of the button.

It looks like I'm going to have to disassemble the sunroof. I'm going to start by trying to take out the glass, hoping to align the mechanism without having to drop the headliner.

Has anyone worked on a misaligned sunroof, and can you offer any tips or advice?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Received 970 Likes on 643 Posts

I suspect the damage has been done, but you might try and resync the drive cables and reinitialize the sunroof motor.

Pop the two sight shields off the sides of the glass panel for access to the four panel attaching screws, two on each side. Lift out the glass. Now look over the two slide mechanisms you just unbolted the glass from. Compare them side to side. If you find something broken, it's over and will need replacement; there are no service parts for this sunroof. If nothing appears broken, remove the roof lighting console for access to the sunroof motor, and remove the three screws attaching it to the mechanism. Disengage the motor and set it aside.
Now, what you want to accomplish is getting the two slide mechanisms slid forward to their limit. that way they are "timed together". Usually the cables can be inched along by a flat screwdriver at the opening where the motor engages them. If they can't be moved, something you can't see must have broken. Now lay the glass back on the mechanism and but the 4 bolts back in and just leave them loose. Next put the motor back up and secure it, wiggle it around some to make sure it engages the cables properly. Plug the roof console in so the sunroof switch will work. What you want to do now is bump the roof switch to get the glass moved to the closed position so it can be secured correctly in the body opening. Depending on where the motor thinks it is in its travel will dictate whether it stops when you release the button, or keeps going. I would bump the switch twice each time, that way if it tries to keep going the second hit will stop it. The glass has to be aligned and secured now, because the mechanism CANNOT BE OPERATED without the mechanisms secured to the glass. Don't ever try to move the thing powered without the glass tight.

If you've gotten this far you might be ok. Now run the glass forward and up to the vent position and release the switch. WITHIN 5 SECONDS, press the same switch [vent] again and hold. After 20-30 seconds the glass should come down, fully open then fully close and stop. If it does, you just might be in business. Hopefully nothing broke or damaged the drive cables.

Good luck!

Last edited by xjrguy; 02-23-2011 at 03:53 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by xjrguy:
amcdonal86 (02-25-2011), Datsports (01-01-2017), sleepyastronaut (02-23-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 05:31 PM

Thanks very much, xjrguy.

Fortunately, after removing the glass, I was able to realign the slider mechanisms. I had to move the slider back and forth until I was able to get the parts to align. When I put the glass back on I got a little bit more clicking at the end of the sunroof's travel, but since then, everything seems sorted.

Thanks again!

Old 02-24-2011, 03:09 PM

It seems I congratulated myself too soon.

Now the sunroof motor runs the glass toward the front, vents, and continues running making an awful clicking sound. I've tried the programming procedure but it seems the control module does not recognize the glass is vented. I'm guessing this is because the gear on the motor, or more likely, the gear in the track, is stripped to the point that the motor does not stop running.

Looks like I will have to buy a new sunroof guide assembly. That is, unless someone knows this sounds like a problem with the control module/motor.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:29 PM

It does sound like the cables have been worn and damaged, but what do you mean by "does not recognize the glass is vented"? What happens exactly when you try the initialization? Does it ever go through the 'down, open and close' while you hold the button??

Old 02-24-2011, 03:51 PM

No, the motor just keeps running when the glass is fully vented.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:26 PM

Bummer! Time for a sunroof assembly. If it can't grab enough to stall the motor, you are quite right, it can't recognize it's at the vent position.

Cheers, you're gonna need it!

Old 02-25-2011, 01:37 AM

I think I'll replace the motor / control assembly as well. The last thing I want to do is strip out the new guide assembly.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:46 AM
Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

How did the repair work out?
I've got a similar issue with my 2004 XJ8 but the glass will not return all the way to the sealed position.

I dread the thought of pulling the headliner, or paying for a repair.

I've read all the TSB's on the 1997MY sunroof but have not found anything on the 2004, it's probably buried here somewhere....

Old 12-11-2016, 06:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hello from Calgary! where I just accidently pressed the Sunroof Button in -20

Hello

I have an XJ8 2004 x350.

As mentioned I was stupid yesterday and pressed my sunroof button. The same thing happened to me that happened to my Denver Neighbor stateside. drives side stuck passenger side released. closing and opening was never the same with the drivers side of the sunroof not sealing properly. I was also getting a clicking noise at the beginning of the cycle and at the end. I then decided to reset my sunroof and that causes my sunroof to go into flip mode and clicking like crazy. I realized at that point that I might have really f'd up. Does the clicking noise indicate I need a new motor

Anyway, I removed the sunroof glass as described expecting broken pieces and did not find them. Instead I found that on the drivers sides the moving slider that fits into the slide rails with the two nipples (sorry could not think of another word) was not attached and the moving slider was in a different position than the passenger. I could not move the mechanism to match up both sides. Here are some pics. Any help would be appreciated. If you notice other issues please let me know

How can I configure them to be in the right spot so they are aligned?

Old 12-11-2016, 08:08 PM

Update

I managed to get the slider back in the right spot on the drivers side see picture it had come out of the hole. It is not broken but a little looser fit than the other side now it is back in place. It was a combination of heat and gentle pushing with screwdriver to get it back to the right position. Have not put the glass back on but was curious if the motor would run. I touched the switch to see and the the clicking noise is still present. Is there an issue before I attempt to put the glass back on?

The following users liked this post:
Datsports (01-01-2017)
Old 12-12-2016, 07:54 PM
Default Well it was Interesting

Well I had no response from my post so I took XJR'S advice and through trial and error fixed the issue. I had no significant damage other than a slider had come off the rails or so I thought. A little closer look however after putting it all backs together 3 times showed me the cause of the binding which was causing the motor to spin. The front sliders on both side make the wind deflector go up and the drivers side slide that had been an issue had a small piece of loose metal inhibiting and binding stopping the smooth motion of the slider and wind deflector. Once I dremeled it smooth and WD40 spray lithium greased both sides It had smooth action. I then set the sliders to the closed position, put the glass back in. I even tightened the torx as it was sitting so perfect in the cavity. I put the motor back in and prayed. I pressed the button and it flipped up no noise, pressed again and came down smooth. Then I cycled the motor through the whole process that XJR suggested and it works like it did before.

I could not have done it without you guys and your posts.

Thanks

Barry
Calgary Canada

The following users liked this post:
Datsports (01-01-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 04:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a jag XF. Similar issue!

My sunroof has an opening in the front. From the outside, the sunroof is not flushed at an even level. Thus, water leaking in. I will check the drain hole but I highly doubt it's that.

From my readings and research, ppl are staying it's the bolt/clips being melted over time bc of the heat or resetting the sunroof mechanism. How can I check without removing the liner? I can follow direction via video or step by step instructions.

Please guide and help! I am not willing to pay $1600-$2000! Ugh.
I've attached pictures of the gap.
Attached Thumbnails
Sunroof leaking-img_0888.jpg Sunroof leaking-img_0911.jpg