XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Sunroof repair link threads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Received 132 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Sunroof repair link threads?

Hidy folks,
I've been searching for a How To regarding my particular sunroof issue. I got this cat on Monday, the 6th, and knew that the sunroof didn't open, but that was all I knew. I have concluded that it's one, or more, of a few things.

Here's what I hear; when I press the button rearward to open it fully, I hear and AWFUL grinding noise and the motor running. Nothing moves tho. So, I know the button and the motor both work. I don't know if it's the gear on the motor itself or if it's the part the gear engages on the sunroof assy to open/close it. I'm guessing the latter of the two, but I'm no expert.

With all that being said, can anyone point me in the right direction to the removal, fully or just dropping, the headliner and then ordering the right parts? Also, is this something I want to tackle on my own or farm out to the pros? For those who don't know, I'm pretty mechanical and have a very nice set of tools in my arsenal (lol).

I can take a video and upload it of the pressing of the butting and subsequent grinding if that will help, but it'll be a large file and I'd rather keep that space open for others if they need it. I will if anyone thinks it'll help tho.

I thank you for the guidance and assistance that I've come to appreciate fully from the great minds here!

Rags

Old 10-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

You can remove the glass by itself with Allen keys, if I remember correctly. This way you can look at the condition of the slides when you press the open or close button. This would be a good starting point to see what's going on without removing too much.

The following users liked this post:
ragman1171 (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by BlackKat
You can remove the glass by itself with Allen keys, if I remember correctly. This way you can look at the condition of the slides when you press the open or close button. This would be a good starting point to see what's going on without removing too much.
Thanks Kat. I will need to look up the glass removal in the manual as soon as I can locate it.

Rags

Old 10-08-2014, 09:17 PM

It's easy, from the driver seat look up. There's two on the left and two on the right side of the glass.

ragman1171 (10-08-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 12:53 PM

It's easy, from the driver seat look up. There's two on the left and two on the right side of the glass.
Just as you said. Four screws. T20 (torx head) screws. I got the glass out and found more broken plastic pieces in the side rails than a traveling carnival ride.

I made an appt with the local sunroof Guru for the 20th, as that was the earliest he had avail and that was only for an insp/estimate ($90). I feel that it's the rail assy on both sides, at a minimum, that need replaced.

Probably better off getting the entire assy (not including the glass) and trying to swap it myself. Only problem is, I found the exploded view, but it doesn't elaborate as to how to replace it. What steps to take to get the assy out. Once I get it out, I can reverse the order to install.

Anyone have any links, guides, past experience that they can share please???

Rags

Attached Thumbnails Sunroof repair link threads?-sunroof-assy-1-.jpg   Sunroof repair link threads?-sunroof-assy-2-.jpg   Sunroof repair link threads?-sunroof-assy-3-.jpg   Sunroof repair link threads?-sunroof-assy-4-.jpg   Sunroof repair link threads?-sunroof-assy-5-.jpg  

Sunroof repair link threads?-sunroof-assy-6-.jpg   Sunroof repair link threads?-sunroof-assy-7-.jpg   Sunroof repair link threads?-sunroof-assy-8-.jpg   Sunroof repair link threads?-sunroof-assy-9-.jpg  
lcmjaguar (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 01:46 PM

After multiple searches, I found only one source for the sunroof side rail repair kit. EVERYONE else, Jag, LR, Ford, etc all had only the full assy available. I found a new repair set on eBay and ordered it. $131 after S&H. Here's a link. Hopefully it's all I need. If I can replace these by the time my appt on the 20th arrives and it fixes the problem, then I'm all set. If not, then I still have my appt.

The listing is for a 00-02 Lincoln LS, but the fit chart has A LOT of Jags in it. I'll be sure to update when I get it and, hopefully know how to install it.

On the same topic, I still need the How To on removal/install of the side rails. I'm going to look more and hopefully find the results I'm desiring, but in the mean time, any help would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-02-Lincol...-/251636498991

Rags

Last edited by ragman1171; 10-09-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,180 Likes on 2,343 Posts

[QUOTE=ragman1171;1075269]After multiple searches, I found only one source for the sunroof side rail repair kit. EVERYONE else, Jag, LR, Ford, etc all had only the full assy available. I found a new repair set on eBay and ordered it. $131 after S&H. Here's a link. Hopefully it's all I need. If I can replace these by the time my appt on the 20th arrives and it fixes the problem, then I'm all set. If not, then I still have my appt.

The listing is for a 00-02 Lincoln LS, but the fit chart has A LOT of Jags in it. I'll be sure to update when I get it and, hopefully know how to install it.

On the same topic, I still need the How To on removal/install of the side rails. I'm going to look more and hopefully find the results I'm desiring, but in the mean time, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Shoot me a PM. I have an XPS doc I can send you. Can't upload xps here. I can't convert it to word. or in the download area, you will find it in the chassis section of the manual

JimC64 (10-18-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 10:24 PM

PM sent. I located a 12 step explanation to do the job on a Lincoln LS that appears like it'd be what I need for the Jag. The only exception is the headliner removal info.

I was hoping to get away with an in-place repair, but it's looking like I'm going to have to drop/remove the headliner anyway to get the entire assy out due to the rivet drilling that I'm reading has to be done out of the car.

There is a sunroof shop here that can do the work and I have an appt with them on the 20th and I may just give them the parts and let them do the labor so I don't mess anything up. On the downside of that, I won't gain the knowledge of the job. We'll see when the time comes. Thanks!!!

Last edited by ragman1171; 10-09-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,180 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Just sent. Sorry for the delay.

ragman1171 (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 02:46 PM

Wanted to Send an update. With the headliner removal info and the sunroof assy removal info, I was able to drop the headliner and did NOT have to remove it completely. I lowered the seat backs to the lowest they'd go to have some clearance.

For the sunroof assy, there were three 10mm bolts on the front and three on each side. However, the three on each side have a metal plate covering the rear two that had to be removed. Two 8mm bolts per. I was able to finagle the unit to come out of the sunroof hole itself.

I drilled out the two rivets on the end caps and used a heat gun to release the sealant holding them to the metal. Be easy as to not break the plastic off. Before you can get all off the guides out of the trough, you have to take the motor off so the lines will come all the way out. I then used brake cleaner to remove all the old grease. New grease comes in the kit, so it's OK.

Assembly was a bit fiddly, but after some trial and error, it went back together properly. The 1/8" guide pin on each side is a necessity to ensure you have both sides lined up.

It started to rain right after I got the assembly out of the car, so I put a tarp over the hole and am awaiting a break in the weather to replace it and see if I was able to tackle this $1500 job (that's what I was quoted) for $130 in parts, some time and patience.

If you don't have the tools, you'll need to get them. Here's what I used for the ENTIRE job. Small flat screwdriver to pop open the little bits on the visors, handles, etc. #2 cross-tip screwdriver to remove the visors, handles, etc. 1/4" socket set with 2" extension, 10mm & 8mm sockets. Torx head screw drivers; T15, T20 & T25. Cordless drill with 3/16" bit. A rivet gun (the rivets are supplied in the kit), heat gun (a hair dryer would suffice though) and a utility knife. I used a can of aerosol white lithium grease which I sprayed on the tracks to give some lube that won't dissipate over time. Before and after I put the motor back on, I applied a generous amount of the supplied grease to help keep it lubed.

Although the kit had some VERY basic instructions, they were for a 2000-2002 Lincoln LS. The main bits are what mattered and those were right on the money. I'll update again after I get it installed and tested! Weather looks like 100% chance of rain until tomorrow morning though. Wish me luck!

Cheers!

Last edited by ragman1171; 10-15-2014 at 06:06 PM.
BlackKat (10-18-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 06:05 PM

In short, IT WORKS!!!! HELLA COOL!!!

Now for the caveat to my last post. To align the motor as mine was WAYYY off from the last time it was used properly; AFTER you install the assembly, but BEFORE you install the glass, connect the power and set the rails all the way forward. Not to the vent position, but to closed. then remove the motor while leaving the wiring connected. You can then operate the button and motor w/o the assy being effected.

You can put the button in both directions until you have it in the closed position. If you know how XJ Sunroof's work, you'll know when it's closed, vent, and fully opened. Set it to closed and install it. Do a test to see if you have the desired results and if so, install the glass.

I set the front and rear flush with the roof, but setting the front just under flush (less than one mm) is acceptable. Test again with the glass in. If you have excessive wind noise when closed, you can adjust.

The rain started up just as I was connecting the visors and A pillars and the sun was dropping rapidly so it was time to stop for the night. i'll install the headliner tomorrow. YEAH ME!!! Saved myself Almost $1400!!!! That's assuming they charged me the low end of the range given. GIGGIDY!!!

The following 5 users liked this post by ragman1171:
BlackKat (10-18-2014), hafren (10-15-2014), JimC64 (10-18-2014), lcmjaguar (10-15-2014), Norri (10-18-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts

Awesome result and great find on the Lincoln parts. This will be very useful in the future.

The following 2 users liked this post by hafren:
lcmjaguar (10-15-2014), ragman1171 (10-15-2014)
Old 10-18-2014, 10:23 AM

I have put this off for a year afraid that the LS kit wouldn't fit. Way to go!

ragman1171 (10-18-2014)
Old 10-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by ragman1171
In short, IT WORKS!!!! HELLA COOL!!!

Now for the caveat to my last post. To align the motor as mine was WAYYY off from the last time it was used properly; AFTER you install the assembly, but BEFORE you install the glass, connect the power and set the rails all the way forward. Not to the vent position, but to closed. then remove the motor while leaving the wiring connected. You can then operate the button and motor w/o the assy being effected.

You can put the button in both directions until you have it in the closed position. If you know how XJ Sunroof's work, you'll know when it's closed, vent, and fully opened. Set it to closed and install it. Do a test to see if you have the desired results and if so, install the glass.

I set the front and rear flush with the roof, but setting the front just under flush (less than one mm) is acceptable. Test again with the glass in. If you have excessive wind noise when closed, you can adjust.

The rain started up just as I was connecting the visors and A pillars and the sun was dropping rapidly so it was time to stop for the night. i'll install the headliner tomorrow. YEAH ME!!! Saved myself Almost $1400!!!! That's assuming they charged me the low end of the range given. GIGGIDY!!!
Ragman- way to go!!

Thanks for sharing.

Really looking forward to the full write up, c/w pics, part numbers etc etc as this'll be great for the how to section

Congrats

ragman1171 (10-18-2014)
Old 10-18-2014, 07:32 PM

I have put this off for a year afraid that the LS kit wouldn't fit. Way to go!
Howdy Kat,
I cannot guarantee that this will remedy your issue as I don't know what it is, but if your rails are in bits as mine was when taking the glass out and seeing them all, then it should get that piece of it sorted. I will try to get everything together and get a full write as soon as I can.

I didn't take many photos as I had A LOT of greasy bits with the old and new and didn't want to foul up my phone or camera and be cleaning grease out of them. I have a feeling I'll be able to get something figured out.

I have to sat that i thoroughly enjoy being able to have the roof open or vented again. It was well worth the time and exploration.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Once again kudos to you Ragman!

ragman1171 (10-18-2014)