XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Transmission leak issue..need help please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Transmission leak issue..need help please.

About 2 years ago my jag dealer said i had a leak small tranny leak on my 2005 Super V8. we decided to change the pan and tranny oil as i was due for a tranny flush.

Late last year i noticed a small oil leak on my driveway. the size of a quarter. i brought it to my mechanic and he suggested to change the yoke as the oil pan was less than 1 year old. agreed. I stored my car for the winter. This spring when i removed my car from storage i noticed some tranny fluid had leaked on the garage floor.

Brought my car back to garage. We decided to replace only the pan seal. The problem still persist. The When we look at the tranny oil pan , it is wet only in the section on the rear of pan.

Should i consider replacing the connecter sleeve? I ve replaced everything else. it is driving me crazy.

Please advise.

Thanx!

Old 08-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, you should change the connector sleeve. That is a known problem area and is not too terribly hard to change. Just requires that the pan is off again. At least your fluid is getting a nice change again, should be getting very clean by now.

Last edited by Suprane1; 08-20-2012 at 06:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-20-2012, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,423 Posts

+1

About $15 for the sleeve which makes it an item to replace as preventive maintenance when doing any pan drop.

I might question the dealer as to why they didn't do the sleeve replacement the first time around, even the Jag dealer here does them at the same time.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

The transmission cooling lines could be leaking too, they were on my VDP, but not enough to make it worth changing.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

These transmissions are VERY sensitive to fluid level.. My BMW had a trans pan leak, when I got it, and it felt like it had a bad trans till it warmed up, it was all of half a quart low.. I wouldn't drive a car even with one of these zf 6 speeds with the slightest of leaks for very long. Here's why.

The trans fluid a) Expands with temperature. That's why you have to fill it once it has reached temp. b) the trans fluid is under pressure. That slight drip you have when the car is off and in park is probably a much bigger drip when the car is running. The only think making the transmission leak is gravity when the car is parked. It's a whole different story when the car is running. You just dont realize it.

Take care,

George

Old 02-12-2013, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where can one obtain said connector sleeve at?

i am having my transmission seal replaced this week b/c Jaguar found that the case around the seal was wet, so since they have to drop the pan anyway, i would like to buy this sleeve so they can't price gouge me on it, and they can just throw it on there while they have it dropped.

thanks in advance!

Old 02-12-2013, 05:04 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AliasIsApac
where can one obtain said connector sleeve at?

i am having my transmission seal replaced this week b/c Jaguar found that the case around the seal was wet, so since they have to drop the pan anyway, i would like to buy this sleeve so they can't price gouge me on it, and they can just throw it on there while they have it dropped.

thanks in advance!
I got mine from The California Transmission Supply Company. You will need to get the fluid as well as its very specific to this transmission. This company sells a kit, although the seal is separate as well as the bolts, which I had read some people had a problem with, just to be safe I got them as well. I ended up buying my pan/filter from ebay, which saved me a little. Check the plate on your transmission to verify which kit is correct, but I think this was the link.

Oil change kit for 6HP19/21

Old 02-12-2013, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Suprane1
I got mine from The California Transmission Supply Company. You will need to get the fluid as well as its very specific to this transmission. This company sells a kit, although the seal is separate as well as the bolts, which I had read some people had a problem with, just to be safe I got them as well. I ended up buying my pan/filter from ebay, which saved me a little. Check the plate on your transmission to verify which kit is correct, but I think this was the link.

Oil change kit for 6HP19/21
i actually bought mine from the dealership today at the Jaguar Parts Dept desk for $24 and the pan gasket was $50. I probably could have gotten the gasket cheaper elsewhere, but it's not a big deal, plus it's OEM so I'm happy.

Now, I need to have my tranny mechanic do the gasket and sleeve at the end of the week... :P

Old 02-12-2013, 01:12 PM

i'd do all this work myself, but i do not have the workspace or the tools, since i live on base currently.

when i move into a house i can get all my tools here and start taking care of my own car again. :/