XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

The trouble with cargo shorts

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 12:26 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Smile The trouble with cargo shorts

is that there are enough extra pockets that sometimes my car keys wind up in an odd pocket, and I miss them when emptying out for the laundry. So, for the first time since I've owned the cars, the remote for my X350 and my silver X308 went through a seriously heavy duty wash cycle in a front load washer, then 45 minutes in the dryer with a fabric softener sheet. When I found them the next day as I folded said laundry, the keys would work in the ignition, but the remotes were D.O.A. I took out the battery from the X308 remote, but couldn't remember how to do the newer one, so disconnected remote from key, and threw both remotes into a bag of cheap rice I bought to dry out some binoculars (another amusing story). I rolled the bag around each day to introduce fresh rice to the adjacency of the circuit boards, and discovered on the third day that my X350 had experienced a mysterious "global open", leading me to conclude that I had better isolate this bag-o-rice from the car by a few more yards. Today is day 6, and both remotes work as usual, no programming required for either one.
With the acknowledged complexity of these cars, I feel like I've dodged a bullet. Thank you, Kroger brand cheap white rice.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Well that ended far better than I expected as I started to read!

hmm, don't try this at home lol