XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What did you do to your X350/X358 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 12:41 AM
Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by knight2rider
Washed the Cat
Good looking car; 4.2 N/A? Driveway looks good too.

The following users liked this post:
knight2rider (03-01-2019)
Old 05-08-2018, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Aix
Sentenced her to prison for continuous misbehavior ...
Recently a major scratching sound started during braking. So when I checked arund I found the right read brake disc was scraped away by the brake pad, or by the looks probably by the sorry remains of the pad carrier.

These continuous issues are causing a certain disenchantment between me and my green toy ...

So besides ordering new discs and pads I parked her in isolation

and then locked her up

I'm already looking forward to changing the discs and potentially brake piston or even one caliper under the spacious conditions besides the car ...
With around 40cm room to either side I can only hope the disc comes off without too much of a fight

Maybe the old saying about needing two Jaguars is still valid to a certain amount ...

And never mind my signature, no amount of cost advantage from driving LPG can even remotely compensate for the spare part requirements this car seems to develop all of a sudden
I am surprised that you've had so much grief. Commiserations, and good luck sorting it out. I'd be tempted to work in the open, rather than such a confined space.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:25 AM
Aix
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by meirion1
Park it 1 cm to one side and then you will have 79 cm in which to work!

Be careful when you jack it up-you might use up that 1cm.

My front discs came off no problem when I did mine but they don't salt the roads here

thank god.
Thanks for the good wishes, both of you, meirion and Etypephil.

As I have no idea at the moment what exactly is broken (quite a tight working schedule currently), working in the open is not the best idea. When I can't finish in one day it's not so easy to push the amputated beast back into the garage in the evening, with hanging caliper and no disc I can imagine that I have a problem with the piston being stuck, which may not be a one afternoon task to fix.

And driving to one side, well, when I change both sides' discs and pads I try to do them both at once, So although 79cm sounds a lot better on one side then, I don't see much chance to squeeze into the remaining 1cm on the other side then. Fortunately (!??!!?) the package from the UK has not yet arrived, so I don't have to face the dilemma yet.

I just drew my option for a company car to have a daily commuter and approach the Jag with all due patience. Hope I don't have to shoot the beast after all

Old 05-08-2018, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Aix
Thanks for the good wishes, both of you, meirion and Etypephil.

As I have no idea at the moment what exactly is broken (quite a tight working schedule currently), working in the open is not the best idea. When I can't finish in one day it's not so easy to push the amputated beast back into the garage in the evening, with hanging caliper and no disc I can imagine that I have a problem with the piston being stuck, which may not be a one afternoon task to fix.

And driving to one side, well, when I change both sides' discs and pads I try to do them both at once, So although 79cm sounds a lot better on one side then, I don't see much chance to squeeze into the remaining 1cm on the other side then. Fortunately (!??!!?) the package from the UK has not yet arrived, so I don't have to face the dilemma yet.

I just drew my option for a company car to have a daily commuter and approach the Jag with all due patience. Hope I don't have to shoot the beast after all
I have just remembered that the early rear calliper sliding pins were prone to seizure; usually they can be cleaned up, lubricated (brake grease), and will go again. If the piston itself is seized, sometimes the rotary action of the retracting press is enough to get it moving, then exercise the calliper a few times to restore free movement, checking carefully for fluid leaks behind the dust cover.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Easy going

At the moment nothing.... because I am on Bali Indonesia. Before I left put my 20" Callisto's on my 2005 XJR. Oh almost forget, during my holiday stay here on Bali Indonesia i ordered a caldoofy custom inlet and mina gallery performance exhaust 😉😎. When I get back post some pictures of it.

Greetings...from a 💥🏖️🌴🍹

Old 05-18-2018, 11:17 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The Jaguarness of my car finally starts to show. Needed new power steering hose, valve cover, fuel injectors, and the intake manifold leak repaired. Takes over a week to repair because the parts have to come from across the pond.

Since the engine is going to be apart, I am getting my mina 1.5 supercharger pulley installed. I already have installed my mina intake and I receive my caldoofy tube in a couple of days. Also installed aluminum pedals.

I will make a thread about these mods once I get my car back.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

OOOO-AAAAAAH!

Dats Purdy!

Last edited by TBoneous; 05-18-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default X 350 2004 xjr

Today I dropped the headliner and fitted a complete sunroof assembly....and surprise surprise, it works just as it should!
I didn't take the headliner out of the car. my son and I were able to fiddle around and above to get the old Assy. out; and the new one back in.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:44 PM
Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Gave her a carwash

Old 06-03-2018, 12:14 PM
Default TPMS fault.

TPMS fault illuminated as I drove along.

Arrived home pulled fuses 37 and 55 from the boot fuse board, waited a few seconds before replacing them. Job done, normal service resumed.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did nothing but what i did find it that members of this group are willing to help a novice like myself, i just wanted to thank you to all

Etypephil (06-03-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 04:07 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

On Saturday I took the car to the garage for engine oil change and Air Conditioner testing/tune up. Everything went fine with planned works, but the mechanic spotted major leak from the transmission (although car drove without any problems, as smooth as usual).

To cure the problem, they had to change the Oil Pan (that is plastic part with a filter in it), connector gasket (together with the plastic part) and some very awkward thing (shaped like 8 with two gaskets) together with transmission fluid. The garage recommended transmission fluid from FEB and even gave warranty for 6 months...

Strangely, fuel efficiency went up after the fluid change, increasing MPG from 16.22 (US) to 17.55 (in metric system - from 14.5l/100km to 13.4l/100km)...

Old 06-05-2018, 01:28 PM
Received 212 Likes on 138 Posts

Since buying the xjr 8 months ago I have only had one key and got round to sorting out a second in the last week
Got a quote from the dealer of 180 including taxes for just the flip key part (no remote) cutting and programming to the car. I believe the remote part is another 150 Euro. So 330 Euro total from the dealer.
So I bought a blank key plus remote from an e-bayer with 100% positive feedback for 35 Euro, got the key cut by a local locksmith for 25 Euro and my jag indie programmed the transponder today for 20 Euro. Took about 15 minutes to do and most of that was waiting for the SDD software to load up.
All working OK and hopefully will keep working!

Old 06-05-2018, 08:21 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

I had to pull my rear bumper again as I swapped out the wrong wonky parking sensor, change out the side marker bulbs and replaced the passenger side trim piece while I had it off.

Parking sensor system back to 100%

Old 06-06-2018, 08:41 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Tasted the liquid under the car and found it not to be condensate or pee, but coolant. Now to find from where. I hope not from the valley hose again, I did that just 100,000 miles ago

Last edited by dsetter; 06-06-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Etypephil (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by dsetter
Tasted the liquid under the car and found it not to be condensate or pee, but coolant. Now to find from where. I hope not from the valley hose again, I did that just 100,000 miles ago

Yes these Jags are really high maintenance; mine has only done 135,000 miles and has needed refuelling several times already. :-)

Panthro (06-09-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 07:05 PM
Received 266 Likes on 206 Posts

I stuck two fingers under my Jag (vertically not horizontally mind) to check the CATS suspension as she's not my daily driver.
Yup staying up mostly.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Just did some regular maintenance today:

Oil/filter change
Transmission fluid change (first one as she is at 65k miles)
New OSRAM HIDs as my bulbs were getting dim

Oh, and did 20% tint all around a few weeks ago plus a good detail w/ a ceramic paint coating. She's looking good

Old 06-09-2018, 12:40 AM
Received 266 Likes on 206 Posts

^^^ OMG that's My Colour...had to go out and check if my Jag was still there...

Edit: Actually mine is GDM "Winter Gold Metallic", not sure how that relates to "Astral Gold Met"(GAA?) but looks the same in a photo.

Last edited by ChrisMills; 06-09-2018 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:45 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by dsetter
Found it,... Leaking water pump, not too hard to pull out. Changed it but suspect more parts will be required before this one gets to 205k miles.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X350/X358 today?