XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What DON'T you like about your XJ

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What DON'T you like about your XJ

There have been many posts that espouse what we all like about our Jags. Let's here what, if anything, you find less than likable about your year/model.

2004 Vanden Plas...
1. Trunk room not deep enough. Barely holds 2 sets of golf gear.
2. Even with seat adjusted, it feels as if my legs are not high enough off the ground. I feel as if I'm sitting on the floor instead of in a seat. Legs are uncomfortable on long trips.

The ride and style overcome these minor issues.

Let's hear from more XJ owners...

The following users liked this post:
ChristianMichael (07-24-2023)
Old 02-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, that trunk is not deep at all, that's one of my biggest complaints
The xjr driver seat could be a hair wider...or I could be a hair thinner, lol, passenger seat feels great though.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:32 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

2005 Super V8

1. Another vote for a bigger trunk, of course coming from a 99 Chrysler LHS with a trunk that was big enough to park a Mini Cooper with some room left over I guess I am spoiled. Cars got plenty of room for my golf foursome but I can't fit all 4 bags.

2. Push button start would be nice. Never saw any point in this feature until now. I tend to have the seat adjusted very far up (seems to help my prematurely creaky back) and I am constantly whacking my knee on the key.

3. Minor complaint, I can't manage the rear multimedia from the front. Its not a problem when the electronic wiz kids are in the car but trying to figure out how to start a movie almost sent my mother to her grave.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overall I like the car quite a bit but there have been a couple of disappointments:

Service at my local Jag dealer, the other two in DFW are okay with the dealer in Ft. Worth being quite good.

No tire pressure monitoring function on the trip computer (at least that I have found)

Trunk is too small, cannot get much in the way of bags in it when we put a collapsible stroller in the back

The cupholder in the console is a joke for anything larger than a 12 oz can

Old 02-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2004 XJR:

Agree the truck is not big or deep enough for a large car. Don't like the ancient J-Gate shifter (would prefer the slap-stick almost all carmakers have gone to), and I don't understand why Jag does not display the outside temperature without the climate control unit being on. I do really like the car though.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Over all, I love the car. The only real complaint I have is the chair side bolsters are not adjustable and cut off the blood circulation in my legs. I am toying with the idea of a piece of 1/2 inch thick piece of dense foam to help make the seat more flat all the way across.

amcdonal86 (11-19-2010)
Old 02-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

The seats in the XJR are great for around home driving. Take a long trip, however, and you will get an education. You just can't find a comfortable position. Be nice to have regular seats from a a standard XJ if it were possable. Otherwise, would not change a thing.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

BLIND SPOTS from the air pillars!

In general, the car is too big for me. I didn't really consider that much, but in retrospect- living in a city, a smaller car would've beeen wiser.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, didn't think about cupholders, those are a joke, when you can't fit a 20oz bottle, there is a problem.
It needs a LSD!!!!!!!

Old 02-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with the blind spots on the pillars. Takes a couple day to get use to leaning forward.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:26 PM

To be fair--The thick "A-pillars" (windshield posts) are on just about everything these days so that cars can pass offset crash tests. Good for passive safety, not so much good for active safety.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2004 XJR

1. Small trunk
2. A & B pillars are deadly blind spots.
3. Cup holders ( front) too small.
4. Car need LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL !
5. Outside air tempature does do read unless Unit is turn on.
6. C.d. Shuttle should be 1 unit inside he vehicle for ease of loading inside instead of trunk.
7. Oh yeah the trunck is too small ....lol

Old 02-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

on my 2005 VDP I don't like...

1) radio station buttons on Nav screen display random crap (partial song title, program name, call letters, etc.) when I just want the damn frequency to always be there.

2) must have the key in the ignition to open the gas cap cover. very inconvenient when you forget to hit the button first.

3) display on dash always reverts to odometer every time I start the car. Even my 04 and 07 s-types remembered my last setting. XJ's should have this.

4) heated steering wheel is not separately controlled. if I want a warm seat I have to heat the wheel too.

5) being constantly told how cool my car is

Old 02-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

trunk too small +1 (altough x350 better than x308)
my right knee hits the key in the ignition every time
the nav is a joke - can't find "Post office" for example - just lame
does not display "trip computer" info in the nav screen.
front cup holders - totally not practical. If you put anything in them it blocks access to the J-gate shifter.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Default My Jag posts temp

Originally Posted by mooreman6
2004 XJR:

Agree the truck is not big or deep enough for a large car. Don't like the ancient J-Gate shifter (would prefer the slap-stick almost all carmakers have gone to), and I don't understand why Jag does not display the outside temperature without the climate control unit being on. I do really like the car though.
Mine posts temp right below radio. Maybe because I have my climate control on Auto.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:44 PM

The love outweighs the dislikes, but i have a few

1) Blind spot due to pillar, when making a left turn, (I literally don't see pedestrians.)
2) Radio frequency won't go down to 87.7 my fav radio station, (but that's done with)
3) The mirrors look like a circle on a stick (might be just me) should have made a nicer connection to the body.
4) J gate...
5) Flimsy vents, I have too many broken AC vents. (already ordered a new dash)
6) Trunk closing. (it might be an issue) but I have to press the trunk button and lift while pressing it, or else the trunk will get sucked in and not open.

Even tho i want to say air suspension, it isn't worth noting because I should have gotten a super v8 if i wanted a softer ride.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

2004 XJ8 which is essentially version 1.0 of this series, as I understand it.

The wings on the seat, as another stated, get very uncomfortable on >100 mile trips, though I've managed to make it easier by dropping the front of the seat.

Right knee constantly banging ignition key.

Small cup holders in front.

No AUX input to sound system, either via a jack or Bluetooth. I use a Bluetooth to FM transmitter hands-free device which clips to the visor. The problem is the antenna is in the rear window (I think), and the FM transmitter isn't strong enough to push a good signal. Since my CDC is dying, I may go the route of tapping into the line outs for an iPod adapter.

The following 2 users liked this post by mitch.thompson:
bbrosftn (03-10-2019), joeglow42 (03-02-2014)
Old 02-03-2010, 03:14 PM

Many common dislikes have been posted in this thread...but all things considered it is a pretty short list!

One thing i really dislike is the obnoxious tone of the front parking assistance sensor. I know it is supposed to get one's attention but does it really have to sound just like my $4.99 Walgreen's alarm clock? (The rear sensor tone is so much more pleasant.)

WHITTALL (07-31-2023)
Old 02-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Getting my feet stuck under the pedals no matter what postion the seat and pedals are in when Im trying to get out and the B Pillar blind spot when turning right (UK!)

Old 02-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love how light the car feels, but it comes at a price. My wife had a low speed collision, resulting in a trip to an outstate body shop (no Jag certified Al body shops in Minnesota), $17,000 in damages as well as transportation costs to Chicago (covered by Jaguar) and rental coverage. The car has been out of commission since 12-22 and still has not come home yet.

Oh and the user interface for the GPS/audio system and HVAC is horrendous. Aside from that, we love the car.

Quick Reply: What DON'T you like about your XJ