XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Whats going on here?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Whats going on here?

This morning while driving to work and then back home I kept getting an error message on my dashboard/speedo read out that said "Cruise Control Not Available" Then a little later the Adaptive Cruise Control would light up and the readout would read "driver interference" then jump back to "cruise control not available" Whats going on? FYI, I have a 2004 XJR with lower mesh on my car that's been on for over a year without an issue.

Last edited by albert328gts; 12-22-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Take the mesh off and see if that makes a difference. Could be interference or a malfunction of the radar.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by albert328gts
This morning while driving to work and then back home I kept getting an error message on my dashboard/speedo read out that said "Cruise Control Not Available" Then a little later the Adaptive Cruise Control would light up and the readout would read "driver interference" then jump back to "cruise control not available" Whats going on? FYI, I have a 2004 XJR with lower mesh on my car that's been on for over a year without an issue.
I think it probably said "Driver Intervene", meaning it thought you were approaching something faster than it could adjust for. I'm leaning to toward the lower mesh like jahummer. I'm pretty sure it was here on the Forum that another fellow was having ACC troubles, and it came down to the snap on trim cover had been painted with paint containing metallic pigments. Swapping out the covers with the original pre-finished parts took care of it. That tells me they are pretty sensitive. I acknowledge it's weird the mash has been there a while, but I'm still voting it's the trouble.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
albert328gts (12-23-2011)
Old 12-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Unhappy No not the lower mesh grill...

Well I finally took off the lower grill and cleaned up a bit of the dust in there and before I could get the car out of the driveway it happened again. Now I have no idea what this could be...

Old 12-24-2011, 03:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Could be an anomaly with the wheel speed counter on one of the wheels. These are also used for the anti-lock brake system. However, this is only a guess.

albert328gts (12-24-2011)
Old 12-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default cruise

I have had the message cc not available twice in three years. Both times was after the car had sat for weeks while I was out of town. Drove for a long drive and shut the car off. No message after that. I figured the batt must be low. I do not have the radar cruise though.
Chad

albert328gts (12-24-2011)
Old 12-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by albert328gts
Well I finally took off the lower grill and cleaned up a bit of the dust in there and before I could get the car out of the driveway it happened again. Now I have no idea what this could be...
Well, that's a horse of a different color. Here's proof that any bit of information could change things. Your original post appeared to be an issue while driving the car on the road, this happening in your driveway leads us down another path. That is sounding like possibly an intermittent pedal switch. The ACC most likely wouldn't throw warnings or messages in conditions like that. Conversely, a pedal switch COULD contribute to what happened to you on the road.

This could ultimately require the Jaguar diagnostic equipment to really see what the system detects. The system is complicated and seemingly unconnected things can mess with you. A good example I have run into is a guy changing his wheel size and not having the car reconfigured to that size. The car [wheel] speed says one thing, and the ACC constantly calculates the speed of things coming at it. Well, if it always sees things approaching at something DIFFERENT than road speed, it says, "this can't be right, I must not be able to see, my sensor must be blocked". Bingo, a "Sensor Blocked" message.

Good luck!

Old 12-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Unhappy Yes and the car does have 20's

On it now, for as long as I have owned it, it has had both the lower grill and the 20" BBS. But I never turn either one of them on? Not the cruise control nor the ACC. Sounds like a visit to the dealer...