XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

X350 vs older models

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts
Default X350 vs older models

I realised that I haven't really receive many compliments on the two X350s Ive owned (the old one was silver, the new one is slate). I used to have strangers approach me all the time when I drove my old XJ40, and SIII XJ6s. Don't get me wrong, I get ooohs and ahhhs from my friends and family, especially on the slate coloured one, but not once has anyone on the street said "hey, nice car." People used to offer to buy my old royal blue SIII! Am I missing something? I'm curious about your opinions.
Do non-jag people not like the X350?

Old 07-19-2010, 11:52 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Admittedly, as much as I love my X350, I must concur.

I remember in 1999 after purchasing my 94 XJS coupe, the attention was immeasurable. It turned heads wherever it roamed and questions were abundant.

Perhaps with the introduction of the S-type and likely even moreso, the X type, the Jaguar brand suffered a bit of "blah" syndrome to the general public and it bled over to the 350. To date, after owning my 350 for almost 3 months, I've yet to receive one compliment from a random stranger.

Ironically, the statement I get most is one made out of intimidation. Noone believes the car is within more than a dreams reach for them to obtain. I've had the local postmaster and a tech that rotated my tires both make statements of how the car is "too exotic" or "a dream car" that likely is a six figure automobile in their mind. Is it desensitization or intimidation? That is the question.

Ending on a humorous note, I mentioned the local postmaster oohing over the perceived hefty pricetag I paid for my black beauty and stating she was "not looking to spend THAT much" for a new car, when in sweet, sweet irony, she paid over $20,000 for a new Nissan Altima....

.......and my "dream car" cost me a bargain price of a smidgen over $12,000

Old 07-20-2010, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,810 Likes on 7,121 Posts

Well, let's face it, the X350 is taller, stubbier, and less sleek than the earlier cars. No insult intended. It's still a nice looking car but I think many others with agree that it lost a bit of the Jaguar-ness and gained a bit of looks-like-others-cars-ness, particularly in profile view.

Topping a Ser III in the looks department is a mighty tall order. It was arguably the most handsome sedan ever made and looks particularly good while actually driving down the road. I had one for many years and got compliments very frequently.

My XJS also drew much attention. IMHO, XJSs are not universally appreciated for good looks, exactly. But they *are* interesting and unusual.

My XJR is complimented only occassionally. I do see others drivers looking, though...especially BMW owners :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 07-20-2010, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

A Jaguar should be sleek,low profile, not too big . X350 opposes all the past features of XJ40 and X300 , X308 . I have never liked X350 design wise since the day 1 .
Excuse me I don't wanna offend X350 Owners but it seems you also realized you don't get as much compliment , eye catching as you did when you drive XJ40 or X300 . Namely pre '07 models came with the ugliest grill in the Jag history .So, what was the point of ruining a nice looking XJ Series I dunno
You may feel more comfortable in X350 due to width over earlier XJs or feel never like "cramped" but real enhtusiasts don't care about those things .
Rear tail lights don't look nice either , on the side profile X350s looked like a stratched Rover 75 rather than a Jag

Old 07-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread gives me chuckle. I agree with the sentiment that the bigger, boxier, taller x350 design just does not have that classic, sleek, lithe Jaguar cachet that the earlier sedans have. And, I OWN one!

I do think that my x350 is a handsome sedan though but I must admit I'm probably biased.

What gives me a chuckle is, here in southwest Florida, there are probably more retired old geezers (LIKE ME), driving Ford Crown Vics, Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town cars, per square mile then anyplace else on the planet.
So, when I'm out and about in my x350 I always have the sense that to the average observer, at least in this part of the world, it's just another "Old Dude's Car".

Last edited by Quiet1; 07-21-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:53 AM

The X350 IS a nice looking car, fact! BUT, compared to the older Jags (my 308 included) it pales. My brother has a 350 Super V8 which is lovely and sleek and powerful etc when compared to 'normal' cars but it sits too high up for a proper Jag. My brother also had an XJS, S-type and a couple of XK8s, but he missed out on the most important cars - a Slll saloon and a 308! (IMHO of course). The 350 may knock the socks of the older cars for comfort, ride, economy, power, technology etc, but it lacks the fundamental 'Jaguarishness'.

Let me make explain. I borrowed his Super V8 to go to France, were away a fortnight without problem, but sitting in a queue leaving the ferry port on the way home, I saw a silver 308 (not my favourite colour either) and said to my wife 'I wish we were driving in one of those' just when I realised that I was in far superior car! Explain that one then?

Old 07-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Very interesting opinions from everybody.

I'm afraid Im in the opposite vein when it comes to X300 vs X350. Not to offend any X300 or X308 owners, but in my opinion, those models were the most boring of all Jags. Yes, there were low slung and such like the SIII, but they lost all the "edge" if you will. That's when the XJ became an "old man's car". The designs were stale and mediocre. I'm 26 years old, so you can chaulk it up to youth if you want, even though I've owned (and ADORED) several SIII XJ6s (so my taste can't be all that bad!). I do find it interesting that one segment of people I always get looks from are people driving X300s and X308s!

But when they introduced the X350, I took one look at it and saw a modern successor to the SIII. Yes, it was bigger and taller, but it was an extremely handsome car, and it carried over some of my favourite styling cues of the SIII.

And while I may not get compliments from strangers anymore, my friends (and a few girlfriends I've been through) all agree with me on the X350's superiority in the looks department. And believe me, the people I associate with would not take the trouble to spare my feelings!

Again, I apologise if I offended any X300 or X308 owners!

Now...the 2011 XJ or the XF, for that matter...(shaking head in shame)...let's not get me started on those sellouts.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I think the X350 looks like a much refreshed X308. At least they definitely look like the same car. Heck, most people wouldn't even know the difference. I do not like the facelift on the 2008+ X350, though. Yuck!

Old 07-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Hey Cadillac, don't knock the Rover 75. I sold one to buy my XJ6 and it was the nicest car I ever had, bar none ! Good looking, reliable, and handled and rode well. It looked to me like a mini-Bentley inside and out, but not at Bentley prices.

So I have attached a pic of mine. Lovely car !!

Attached Thumbnails X350 vs older models-rover-75-caerhays-c-ornwall.jpg  
Old 07-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I guess it's time to add my 2 cents... As I own a x308, I am biased, but I just went through the purchase phase, and looked at x350's, x308, and S-Types. I settled on the the x308 because of it's historic Jag appeal, low profile, narrow body, and yes, slightly less refinement. This all gives a more driver oriented appeal to the vechicle. The x350 is still a beautiful car, especially the interior, but it is too tall and stalky as well as looking too much like a Ford. It just doesn't have the appeal to me that the x308 series has. That being said, I will probably end up in a x350 on my next go round in 3 years when the '05 will be my target year, unless I can justify the XK series.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Hey Fraser, my point is actually not to demise Rover 75 nor try to knock the car , I will not behave like Jeremy Clarkson here lol
What I try to stress is why Jaguar deserted a well looking ride (in side profile ) and nixed XJ40,X300,X308's side rear quarter window since 3 gens followed the same patterns in regards to rear doors and quarter windows .
For ex : Audi has been following a nice pattern and design similarities , A4, A6, A8 all the rear door trim and rear quarter window dead alike and Audi nowhere being a traditional brand as British car manufacturers

Old 07-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

I never liked that 3rd window on the Jags. I think it's much more sleek without it. I don't know why people keep saying the profile is so radically different. In my opinion it's largely the same, even in the flesh.

All the XJs definitely have a really nice presence when you stand next to them.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:56 PM

I always get compliments, and people say, "I like these but not the new one's. these still look like jags" .

Old 07-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I, too, entertained purchasing an x350 SVDP, impressed with the several refinements....but as several here have noted, there's a certain *Jaguarishness* to the 308 and preceding models, and I've certainly 'paid the price' in breakdowns and patience over the last several decades of Jaguar ownership (bit like being an old war hero with a gammy leg, that no-one wants to hear from anymore)

Also, for the enthusiast, the previous generation cars offer:
a) lots of performance mods
b) inexpensive entry price (x308's in SoCal $4000 - $7500)
c) many used parts available, a repaint doesn't kill the value, etc.

Just my tuppence.....

Old 07-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BOB7747
I always get compliments, and people say, "I like these but not the new one's. these still look like jags" .
They might be referring to the new Jags, as in the S-type, X-type and perhaps the XF?

Old 07-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

as gorgeous as the X350 is, its very pronounced and bold. my favorite will always be the X308

Old 07-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member

I guess that's what my younger eye likes about the X350. It's a little bit more bold.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Agreed! The X350 was a full size luxury liner that could compete with the SClass and 7Series and yet still be undeniably a Jaguar.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,942 Posts

I have always liked the Jaguar styling from the mid-sixties on, except the Mark 10, which even Jaguar had trouble selling. I did, however fall in love with the Rover 75 style, seeing it at the 1998 Motor Show in Birmingham. The S-type was at the same show, and it just didn't cut it for me. I had once had a Mark 2, so it seemed a poor copy. Having said that, I always saw my 75 as a "mini-Bentley" in style inside and out, so maybe it also copied a few things !! For the price one paid they were a steal for the V6 and diesel models. The K4 petrols were a bit of a disaster, though.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you just need shiny rims like mine ;-) then watch how ppl go woooo aahh oooooh =D

Quick Reply: X350 vs older models