XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

x350 vs x358 Coventry wheel fitment

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 12:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default x350 vs x358 Coventry wheel fitment

I just bought a set of Coventry Hornets used for my 2005 XJR. The wheels came from a 2008 XJ Super V8, so naturally I figured they would fit perfectly being Coventry wheels and the two cars being the same mechanically. How wrong I was, because the rear wheels don't clear the calipers; about a half inch by my estimate, so this is not just light rubbing.

Does anyone know why this would be and the exact spacer size I can use to correct this? I know spacers are not ideal, but I got these wheels for a steal and being used I cannot just return them. I would get the hubcentric spacers of course.

My guess is that his Super V8 did not have the Brembo brakes that come standard on the XJR, although I always thought they were standard on the Super V8 as well... Unless there is a different backspacing between the x350 and x358 of which I am not aware.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:01 PM
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

The 2003-5 Super V8s have Brembos, likewise XJRs.
Late 2005 onwards have Teves brakes- cost-cutting perhaps?

Old 09-07-2015, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by alecescolme
The 2003-5 Super V8s have Brembos, likewise XJRs.
Late 2005 onwards have Teves brakes- cost-cutting perhaps?
My 05 XJR has the big silver calipers with the Jaguar and R logos on it. Same as my 03 STR. I always assumed these were the Brembos. Am I correct in this thought? What do the Teves look like? I can't find a picture on google. I just texted the seller and he told me that his Super V8 did not have Brembo brakes.

Would you happen to know what spacer size I would need?

Old 09-07-2015, 03:32 PM
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Those sound like Brembos to me.

This is what the Teves look like:

Surprised that you can't fit 20"s on the rear, I can just squeeze 17" winter wheels on the back of my Brembo SV8:

Sorry, don't know about spacers.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by alecescolme
Those sound like Brembos to me.

This is what the Teves look like:

Surprised that you can't fit 20"s on the rear, I can just squeeze 17" winter wheels on the back of my Brembo SV8:

Sorry, don't know about spacers.
It's not the diameter that is preventing the fit as I currently have stock 19s, it is the wheel backspacing. I think the brembo calipers are probably wider than the teves, so it blocks me from even being able to bolt the wheel down completely. From what I can tell it is missing by about a half inch. Of course I don't know the backspacing and I don't think the seller does either or else it would be easy to calculate spacer size.

If I could find out what Coventry recommends for the 08 Super V8 vs the 05 XJR, I could use the difference. But the Coventry website doesn't even have a 20" fitment for the Super V8, only 19". I'm not sure how this makes sense as nearly everyone who gets the Coventry wheels uses 20".

Old 09-07-2015, 04:06 PM

Maybe an aftermarket rotor was used that has a thinner center where it connects to the hub? Is that even possible, or are all rotors of uniform thickness in that area?

Old 09-08-2015, 02:55 PM
Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

I've been through a couple of sets of wheels on my XJR which was originally fitted with the Teves brakes as above, just a side note that the rear brakes were the same, 326mm vented disc - single piston caliper, over the whole XJ range from 2006MY onwards until the X351 was introduced.

From what I can find the wheels you are trying to fit are 8.5J with an ET of 42, which would sit 7mm further out in the wheel well, leaving more room on the inside edge of the wheel.
The only thing I can think of is the issue I had when fitting "Cremona" 9J ET49 after I had retrofitted the Alcon calipers from the XKR-S, where due to the large caliper it was fouling on the back of the spokes. I purchased a pair of 20mm hubcentric "H&R" spacers which enable me to run the standard wheels with winter tyres.
For summer use I have a set of XK-RS "Vulcan wheels which are 10.5J ET52 which I run with a staggered fitment through the summer.

If you are intending to fit spacers ( I know there are arguments for and against but leaving them aside for the moment) ensure they are hubcentric and that there are reliefs in the back of the wheels for the original wheel studs which will protrude slightly from the spacers. It's quite difficult to describe but I can upload some pictures if that would help?

Hope this helps you.

The following 2 users liked this post by SimonXJ:
metalmarty (09-08-2015), Panthro (11-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by SimonXJ
I've been through a couple of sets of wheels on my XJR which was originally fitted with the Teves brakes as above, just a side note that the rear brakes were the same, 326mm vented disc - single piston caliper, over the whole XJ range from 2006MY onwards until the X351 was introduced.

From what I can find the wheels you are trying to fit are 8.5J with an ET of 42, which would sit 7mm further out in the wheel well, leaving more room on the inside edge of the wheel.
The only thing I can think of is the issue I had when fitting "Cremona" 9J ET49 after I had retrofitted the Alcon calipers from the XKR-S, where due to the large caliper it was fouling on the back of the spokes. I purchased a pair of 20mm hubcentric "H&R" spacers which enable me to run the standard wheels with winter tyres.
For summer use I have a set of XK-RS "Vulcan wheels which are 10.5J ET52 which I run with a staggered fitment through the summer.

If you are intending to fit spacers ( I know there are arguments for and against but leaving them aside for the moment) ensure they are hubcentric and that there are reliefs in the back of the wheels for the original wheel studs which will protrude slightly from the spacers. It's quite difficult to describe but I can upload some pictures if that would help?

Hope this helps you.
Thanks. Yes, if you have pictures of how far the studs protrude please post them, that would be very helpful.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:40 AM
Received 122 Likes on 52 Posts

can you read the specs of the back of the Coventry wheels?

Old 09-11-2015, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Muddybear
can you read the specs of the back of the Coventry wheels?
I thought there might be specs on the wheels but when I looked last I didn't see any. I will have to check again when I get home from work today.