XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJ or S-type, I am looking at both

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XJ or S-type, I am looking at both

I am looking at 2004-2006 XJ and 2005 - 2006 S-type. For those that have owned both, what are the major differences? I am a 45 year old male and kinda see the XJ as an older gentlemens car and the s-type more of my age group. But I really like the XJ, it just screams CLASS! Will I be happier with the XJ or the 4.2 S-type? How is the ride/handling comparison?

Old 08-29-2009, 05:49 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Lol, you are doing your research first! I bought my S Type as soon as I saw it, without checking anything else. A couple of days later I saw in a showroom round the corner a row of cars including an XJ, Merc E Class, Saab 9-5, BMW 3 series and an S Type. It made me think should I have tried some others first?

Anyway, having only been driven in a XJ and a Daimler (the Double 6, magnificent) in comparison to the S Type they are bigger, quieter etc etc as you would expect as they top the range. The S Type feels more cosy inside. It was also the first car to score 13 ponts on the UK consumer magazine Which? safety ratings. I like that feeling of security. As to driving, my S Type is the Sport and it does feel a lot more nimble than the XJ. But I drive mainly on narrower Scottish country roads and about town. ( I'm 43!)

Old 08-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

They are both fine cars, I've owned 2 S-Types 4.0 both with sport and currently own an '04 XJ8. IMHO the XJ8 handles differently, it is lighter but it is a big car, which is great if you need the space. The S-type is smaller and I used to get lower gas mileage then my current XJ, which gets 30MPG on the freeway at 70MPH. The current XJ is a more familiar shape (for better or worse - I happen to love the current one and the new one has blah styling), the S-type tends to polarize. One thing that I don't like about either is the solid rear diff, which makes handling 'interesting'. Either car in the model year you mentioned should be fine mechanically. If you can stretch, I'd look at an R version of either for the extra grin factor.

- Tim

Old 08-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The XJR is lighter than the S-Type R . The XJR weighs 1659 kg (3657 lb) the S-Type R weighs 1852.3 kg (4075 lbs) from the factory specs. The XJ is aluminum the S is steel.

They do ride and drive differently, they have different personalities. I like both, too bad I don't have the resources to indulge that concept!

Rich

Old 08-29-2009, 05:07 PM

Everything I've seen about the xjr, at least my 04, is that it weighs 3950lbs. I personally always loved the look of the xj's, it screams jaguar all the way. The s types have more of a taurus/sable shape to them...no offense to anyone that has one, lol

Old 08-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

They are both very nice cars. The XJ is more heavily optioned normally and is quite a bit bigger. The S-Type being smaller is more agile, generally easier to maneuver and has a firmer suspension. The S-Type is more developed than the X350. By 2005, all the earlier bugs have been pretty much worked out. The XJs had issues with the air suspension in the early models. Those problems may have been worked out already. XJ owners and technicians familiar with the X350s would be a better source of information. Generally, the S-Types are around $3000 to $4000 cheaper all other things being equal. I got an S-Type mostly because I had two XJs previously and wanted a change. When I got my first XJ, I thought it was an intermediate sized car. I parked next to Crown Victoria and found out they were the same size. So much for that theory.

Mike

Old 08-29-2009, 09:41 PM

My Friend, i think you already know the answer to your question. And i quote, ( But I really like the XJ, it just screams CLASS! ).
Remember 45 doesn't last forever and if you plan to have this car for a while, more than a couple of years then I think your age group will change.
Peace,
Darryl

Old 08-30-2009, 08:57 AM

I have not driven an S Type but I just turned 46 and recently bought my first Jaguar(2007 XJ8) to replace my aging Infiniti FX35 so I am at least in your demographic. Having been a fan of the XJ since I was a teenager I never felt that it was necessarily an "old man" car. Although, like a lot of dream cars, i.e. corvette, you do see a lot of older people driving them simply because not a lot of young folks can afford them.
I will say that my 2007 with select edition warrantee was less than my 2004 infiniti so you can get a lot for your money. And I used to think I drove a nimble and sporty car until I got the XJ. Now my Infiniti feels lacking. If you are concerned about bulk on the road you may consider the standard wheelbase over the L. I have the standard and my almost six foot teenager has no problem in the back seat.
Whatever you decide just go for it and enjoy. This is not a dress rehearsal!
Thats enough rambling from me.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm 34 and I own an XJ... I wouldn't have even considered an S-Type myself.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rich W
The XJR is lighter than the S-Type R . The XJR weighs 1659 kg (3657 lb) the S-Type R weighs 1852.3 kg (4075 lbs) from the factory specs. The XJ is aluminum the S is steel.

They do ride and drive differently, they have different personalities. I like both, too bad I don't have the resources to indulge that concept!

Rich

Everything I've seen about the xjr, at least my 04, is that it weighs 3950lbs. I personally always loved the look of the xj's, it screams jaguar all the way. The s types have more of a taurus/sable shape to them...no offense to anyone that has one, lol
These are factory curb weights. The XJ has a higher all-up weight (will carry more) but the only fair comparison is to start with an empty car and go from there. It does show the XJ being aluminum is a lighter, and stiffer, structure.

Personally I love the XJR. It reeks class and the power, with grace, that is not rivaled... Anywhere!

Rich

Last edited by Rich W; 08-30-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

I am 48 now and got my first new S-Type in 04, then another one in 07. Both were great cars and gave me zero trouble. I do think that the build quality of the 04 was better, though the VDP style interior of the 07 was better.

I got rid of the 07 S-Type at about 30K miles and replaced it last March with an 05 XJ VDP SE that had about 23K miles on it. The price was too good to pass up.

The XJ is the best car I have owned so far. My passengers really appreciate the car too. The S-Types had a rear headroom deficiency that caused a lot of people to bump their heads. Leg room was also a little tight in the rear. The XJ's long body makes my passengers now argue over who gets to sit in the back.

I put almost 100K miles on the two S-Types and I enjoyed driving them. I admit that my driving habits have changed with the XJ and I drive more conservatively now. I figured out that I like being in the XJ so much that I am no longer ever in a hurry to get to my destination.

My sales guy at the Jag dealer said it best. Once when I had my first S-Type in for service I was given a loaner X-Type to drive for the day. When I returned that car I commented to my sales guy something like "How can people enjoy driving those things?" he just smiled and said "That's what my XJ owners say about your car."

Now that I own an XJ I see his point.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

The XJ series cars have the advantage of being the least ticketed cars in the US. You might be able to get away with an extra 1-2 mph.

Mike

Old 08-31-2009, 02:11 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Highway Patrol likes the xj huh...

I know for sure you can get away with driving real slow without everyone honking at you. Left hand turns go easily too, people have been giving me the wave to go ahead alot lately.

The newer S-Types look great, but I'm partial to XJ's.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by rld14
I'm 34 and I own an XJ... I wouldn't have even considered an S-Type myself.
+1

I'm 40, own an 2004 XJ8, my other car is track modified 1995 Porsche 911 and I also wouldn't have even considered an S-Type.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

lol Im 23 and plan on most likely getting an XJ (SWB) after I find the right home for my S-Type R. If I cant find the right XJ though it wont keep me from another S.

Id say go look/drive/see both in a variety of colors, trim levels, options etc and decide for yourself.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:05 PM

Btw I'm 23 also.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

42 year old here, did not consider the S-Type as an alternative, not partial to the styling.

My only counsel is that you should buy what YOU like. I love the smooth, quiet ride of my XJ8L and the way it eats up the miles on the highway, perfect for a long trip or when I just need to relax on the way home from the airport or office. My other vehicles are considerably harder edged and the Jag is the perfect foil to them.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:19 PM

This is some really great feedback. Thank you all. I am just going to drive both and decide. I am leaning more towards the s-type purely because I am used to driving a toyota matrix (small) and getting adapted to the much longer XJ may be a challenge. I drive agressively on the highway and tend to lane change (weave) a lot between cars. The XJ may limit that...but the XJ styling and roominess....oooooh so hard to resist. Maybe this will take the aggressive driving out of me, so I can relax and take longer to get home while enjoying the comfort of my XJ!

Old 09-02-2009, 07:56 AM

After further research and looking, I have decided on the XJ8. The S-type is just too small in the back seat, that was the killer for me. The XJ8 just gives a feel of better craftsmanship, classier, and it is only 7 inches longer. No biggie for me. Now my dilema is xj8, or xjr? I found a 2004 xjr for $16k (82k miles). Is it really worth the extra $ for the xjr or should I just stick with the xj8 with better selection and lower price. Also, I see the Vanden Plas, not sure what features that has. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:28 PM

I recommend the Vanden Plas if your route is non-sepercharged. The differences are minor IMO but overall better to have.

HID Lighting
Power rear-shade
Alpine Premium sound system
Power folding mirrors
6 disc changer
18"wheels

I personally was working on getting a VDP but that deal went through and I found a better overall condition XJ8 w/navigation and just purchased that. The difference is basicly on some details, minor to some and major to some.

-Vic

Quick Reply: XJ or S-type, I am looking at both