XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

xj8 intake reseal

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default xj8 intake reseal

I am looking for o-ring seals that are between plastic and aluminum portions of intake. I found one source on ebay. Water mark on photo has Rimmer. Rimmer Bros out of UK does not list seals. Any of you found these anywhere or have a suggestion? Silicone, Yamabond, 1104?

thanks

Old 12-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Can you post a pick or link to what you are referring to

Cheers
34by151

Old 12-30-2013, 07:04 PM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

yes please show picturees because I have no idea what oring seals your asking about... You should have two intake runners gaskets that are metal and have folding flanges that connect to the intake plenum and they seal the intake to the plenum.At the rear you will have a absolute manifold pressure sensor and a brake booster line, and ten 10mm intake bolts 5 on each side.Torque these to 16nm.....Please send a pic to confirm...thanks

Old 12-30-2013, 08:30 PM
Default Gasket images

image 6006 shows plenum disassembled from aluminum intake parts. Image 6007 shows close up of "o-ring" style gaskets. Image 6008 shows leakage spots "printed" on front passenger side port. Image 6009 shows port where no leakage is visable.

I have reviewed many posts concerning P0171 and P0174 bank 1 and bank 2 lean. Often intake manifold gaskets are referenced. Smoke test revealed leaks in areas I have indicated but I have not heard any other discussion of this in this forum. It is hard to imagine that someone else has not seen this. My local (Austin, Tx) Jag dealer says they have seen this many times but have to sell customer new manifold as o-ring gaskets I showa are not available.
Any ideas out there?

Attached Thumbnails xj8 intake reseal-img_6006.jpg   xj8 intake reseal-img_6007.jpg   xj8 intake reseal-img_6008.jpg   xj8 intake reseal-img_6009.jpg  
Old 12-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Default Link to replacemnt orings

FYI link to replacement gaskets on ebay that show Rimmer Bros replacement oring style gaskets.

Jaguar Air Intake Manifold to Adapter Plate Upper Gasket Reseal Kit 2004 2009 | eBay

Old 12-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Matt H2OBoy had i think the same problem. I will try to find his post.

Found it Check out my detective skills on this air leak - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Last edited by Gus; 12-31-2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Addition of Link
Old 12-30-2013, 11:47 PM
Default Thanks for reference!

Thanks for the reference. Clearly images posted in thread you referenced are the same as mine. It is a shame that the only solution was a used intake. At this time most of these intakes have got to be showing their age. I work with vacuum systems and initial compression of o-ring is what is responsible for seal. At work, we regularly replace old O-rings that take a set and have become flattened out. Pressurized systems can take advantage of working fluid to actively load seal whereas vacuum does not. The rectangular section O-rings are better but still have a limited lifespan. I struggle with $200 to replace them. Just wish I could find another source!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

It is possible to buy a kit to make o rings or have them made to your spec.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:41 AM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default o ring seals

ok thanks for the reply dweeks and thanks for the pics, ok now I see it... honestly I have never had to replace these seals before. I just did a 4.2 s type NA that had 208k miles on it and runs like new...It had the original seals,and usually these dont fail...I have worked of countless 4.2 engines and it is really one of the best out there with minimal issues...I have only seen the runner gaskets that wear slightly,or if a shop tried to do a return line and the intake gasket walked and was damaged etc. But all in all these are usually solid my friend.Keep us posted on how she turns out...

Old 12-31-2013, 08:49 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Unlike your vacuum leak my problem was a broken hose and a cracked intake manifold but my car is a 4.0.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:24 AM
Default Job completed!

I purchased oring seals for plastic intake to aluminum intake adapters from Euromarque in Houston, TX ($200). I spoke with Ed Harrison there and he was able to get me a set of 8 gaskets out for 2nd day delivery. I did not find any other source for them in the US and Rimmer in UK did not have them either. They arrived and I immediately noticed that they were significantly thicker than the old dead tired ones as shown in attached photo. Completed assembly, even had the Mrs. help me lower assembled manifold in place to make sure not to damage steel gaskets. Once complete, it fired right up. After a few minutes I connected to ScanXL and was delighted to see short term fuel trims at -25%. Continued to check over the past week and long term fuel trim has stabilized on both banks to about 5% and short terms both bouncing around zero. MIL remains off and Monitor Status complete. As earlier pictures show, my old orings showed various degrees of leakage. My suspicion is that a lot of vehicles out there suffer from this affliction to some degree. Just wanted to let everyone know there is another option besides a new $1500 intake or a used intake one that may soon start having the same problem.

By the way, I lubed mine with clear silicone grease as I noticed that old ones appeared to be installed dry. After 10 years the dry orings had small dimples adjacent to gasket side ribs. It appears as if ribs stick to side of gland and restrict oring over time. I hope clear grease may prevent this in the future.
Thanks for every ones input

Attached Thumbnails xj8 intake reseal-img_6018.jpg   xj8 intake reseal-img_6019.jpg  
Old 01-11-2014, 07:59 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Did you do a hard reset after the install?

Old 01-11-2014, 08:07 AM
Default Hard reset after intake reseal

No I didn't. I just reset set codes using ScanXL. I wasn't sure how to do a hard reset with scan tool. I have read that disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes will wipe out keep alive memory. After a short test drive however, long term fuel trims had worked there way down from 20% to about 10% so I thought it was not necessary. Any reason you think hard reset should have been performed?

Old 01-11-2014, 08:46 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

That is fine but the hard reset brings everything back to factory settings.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upper intake gaskets size deifference

Originally Posted by dweeks
I purchased oring seals for plastic intake to aluminum intake adapters from Euromarque in Houston, TX ($200). I spoke with Ed Harrison there and he was able to get me a set of 8 gaskets out for 2nd day delivery. I did not find any other source for them in the US and Rimmer in UK did not have them either. They arrived and I immediately noticed that they were significantly thicker than the old dead tired ones as shown in attached photo. Completed assembly, even had the Mrs. help me lower assembled manifold in place to make sure not to damage steel gaskets. Once complete, it fired right up. After a few minutes I connected to ScanXL and was delighted to see short term fuel trims at -25%. Continued to check over the past week and long term fuel trim has stabilized on both banks to about 5% and short terms both bouncing around zero. MIL remains off and Monitor Status complete. As earlier pictures show, my old orings showed various degrees of leakage. My suspicion is that a lot of vehicles out there suffer from this affliction to some degree. Just wanted to let everyone know there is another option besides a new $1500 intake or a used intake one that may soon start having the same problem.

By the way, I lubed mine with clear silicone grease as I noticed that old ones appeared to be installed dry. After 10 years the dry orings had small dimples adjacent to gasket side ribs. It appears as if ribs stick to side of gland and restrict oring over time. I hope clear grease may prevent this in the future.
Thanks for every ones input
ok the new upper intake gasket are wider but they are thinner. would that still work? thanks

Old 11-26-2017, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Like new