XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1996 Jaguar XJ6 long crank to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Jaguar XJ6 long crank to start

Hi. I'm new to Jaguars and recently purchased a 1996 xj6 with 77,963 miles. Car ran great for a while. Recently though it started to have long cranks and it starts at the very end of the crank. The check engine light recently came on too. I was wondering if anyone has any idea of what it could be? It does it reguardless of whether the engine is warm or cold. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 05-15-2017, 08:11 PM
Received 12,735 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Hi gmc71,

I have moved your post from the forum for the X350 to the forum for the X300, which is the Jaguar factory project code for your 1996 XJ6. Here you will find knowledgeable owners of similar cars.

The first thing I would recommend is that you have the car scanned for the diagnostic trouble code(s) (DTCs) stored in memory. Most auto parts stores will scan your car for free. Write down all codes exactly as they appear, including the prefix letter (e.g. P1171), and post them here so we can try to help.

There is a lot of information in the forum already on this topic. Click on the Search tab above, select Advanced Search from the dropdown menu, then fill in your search terms and select the X300 forum for your search. For example, here's a thread with a lot of relevant info:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...firing-178580/

Some of the most common contributors to long crank times are low battery voltage, corroded or loose battery power and ground connections; poor tune (eroded spark plug electrodes, clogged air/fuel filters, clogged fuel injectors, corrosion on grounds), failed fuel pressure regulator and/or fuel check valve; failing crankshaft position sensor (CKPS); a problem with the camshaft position sensor (CMP); problems with one or more other sensors such as the engine coolant temperature sensor (ECTS), mass air flow sensor (MAFS), throttle position sensor (TPS); etc.

Hopefully the stored code(s) will give us some clues.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 05-15-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! Appreciate it!!