XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1996 XJR - Speakers/audio system

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 XJR - Speakers/audio system

Hey looking for advice on speakers/audio system. Im looking to replace my entire audio system this summer and wondering
1) Weather i should do it myself or have someone do it
2) What would be a good system to install, I currently have Harman Kardon in place
3)if i do it myself any tricks i should know of ?
-Thanks

Old 03-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat. I think I'm just going to go with the Infinity Basslink II powered sub system and put it in my trunk. Everyone on the forum seems to think it sounds really good.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you looking for music/performance-wise?

Old 03-29-2010, 08:52 AM

I listen a variety of music... so something that would have a decent bass and high quality sound otherwise

Old 03-29-2010, 02:18 PM

My best advice is dont skimp on your mids and tweets. Speakers are the most important part by far. Next, make sure you are get clean power to them, find a head unit or amp with low distortion.

Bass is monaural and doesn't need overly clean power, so if you use 2 amps your Bass one can be on the economic side.

Beware the wattage trap, it really doesn't matter as much as most folks think. Speaker efficiency is the biggest factor. Look for speakers that are 90dbs or above. This stands for decibels with 1 watt of power at 1 meter; how you speakers perform with the power they are given.

If you aren't listening to heavy bass like rap or club music, I'd advise 8" subs as they tend to be a bit "tighter" for rock or jazz.
4 nice 5.25" mids with built in tweets would suffice, but you can also get them component style (separate pieces) and use the pre-existing tweeter ports in the car for your new ones. Putting the tweeters in the posts above the dash in front will definitely make for a better sound stage.

Look around for pictures of head units installed, not sure that you have to build a custom face-plate, it looks as though after the stock stereo comes out it has one din slot and doesn't really look too bad. I would love feed back on this part from those of you that have already done this, as I am about to have mine put in tomorrow.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:21 AM

Yeah thanks sounds good, let me know how yours goes, also pics would be nice from anyone.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:22 AM

OK, stereo in.
Sounds fantastic. I put four 5.25" Diamond Audio mids/tweeter combos in the doors and 1" infinity tweeters in the front pillars, two 8" MMats Subs in the trunk, all powered by a six channel Diamond Audio amp with a Pioneer head.

I just pulled the stock head unit out and put the Pioneer in with no modification, and in my opinion it looks fine. I actually like it recessed a bit.

I ran a 3.5mm male jack in through the ashtray cubby to attach my mp3 player and life is good. I will snap a few shots with my phone tomorrow. I haven't had the subs mounted into the sides yet, they are just in a regular box; that is the next project.

After a month of that old crackly stock system this is bliss!!!

PS: There were questions on another string about the bass getting through the gas tank, back seat etc...
I had the old 6x9 woofer taken out and left that open as a port and, trust me, there is no shortage of bass.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Question Pics of XJR head unit replacement for Harman/Kardon and subs in trunk

Originally Posted by Fenja
OK, stereo in.
Sounds fantastic. I put four 5.25" Diamond Audio mids/tweeter combos in the doors and 1" infinity tweeters in the front pillars, two 8" MMats Subs in the trunk, all powered by a six channel Diamond Audio amp with a Pioneer head.

I just pulled the stock head unit out and put the Pioneer in with no modification, and in my opinion it looks fine. I actually like it recessed a bit.

I ran a 3.5mm male jack in through the ashtray cubby to attach my mp3 player and life is good. I will snap a few shots with my phone tomorrow. I haven't had the subs mounted into the sides yet, they are just in a regular box; that is the next project.

After a month of that old crackly stock system this is bliss!!!

PS: There were questions on another string about the bass getting through the gas tank, back seat etc...
I had the old 6x9 woofer taken out and left that open as a port and, trust me, there is no shortage of bass.
Hey Fenja, mind putting up those audio system pics? I'm needing to do something with my 1995 XJR's Harman/Kardon system and want to see some ideas. I'd appreciate any pictures that anyone else would like to post too.