XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1997 Jaguar Vanden Plas (X300) won't crank.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 03:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1997 Jaguar Vanden Plas (X300) won't crank.

Hello Folks,

I'm working on a 1997 Jaguar VandemPlas. The symptom is a no-crank when the ignition switch is turned to position III. However, if I ground the BPM output signal FC1-33 to trigger the starter relay then the engine will crank and run fine.

I've been trying to resolve this problem for some time. I've been focusing my diagnostics on the BPM because it generates the output signal to trigger the starter relay.

When the ignition switch is turned to position II, I observe that the instrument cluster lights illuminate (bulb check) and then extinguish leaving only the check engine light on, and sometimes the bulb failure indicator will stay on too?! When I turn the ignition switch to crank in position III the SRS light turns on while being held in the crank position.

I've confirmed good power to the BPM at FC3-1, good ground to FC3-5. When the ignition is on position II, I also get a reasonable ground voltage (.3V) from the ignition switch on FC2-31, ground (.3V) on FC2-41 when trying to crank, .9V (ground?) on the park/neutral signal at FC2-20, about .5V (ground?) on the check engine signal at FC2-7.

I think these are all of the signals that the BPM needs to allow the starter to trigger but it's not happening. I've also subbed in another BPM and I get the exact same results.

Also, the wipers don't work, the power door locks don't work, etc.

I've reviewed and checked the suggestions in the no start thread to no avail. Any help and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Don
Vancouver, BC

I must be missing something but I'm not sure what? Is this a security/immobilizer system problem?

Old 11-07-2018, 03:48 PM

Hello again,

I forgot to mention that the battery is in good condition. It reads greater than 12V and I've kept it charged while doing diagnostic tests.

Thanks again,
Don
​​​​​​​

Old 11-07-2018, 05:37 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Welcome to the forum Don,

1997 was a model change year, Is your vehicle a late 6 cylinder (X300) or an early V8 (X308) Vanden Plas?

Graham

Old 11-07-2018, 07:12 PM

Hello Graham,

It is a 6 cylinder engine.

I spent a few more hours today cleaning grounding points and checking power supplies. I also observed that the power locks don't work, the shifter is stuck in "P" and the red "P" is illuminated, wipers don't work, turn signals don't work, power windows DO work. After charging the battery voltage was at 12.5V. The SRS Air Bag light turns on when trying to crank.

Oddly, the bulb failure indicator is on even though I could not find any burnt out bulbs.

I assume that spare BPM that I tried works. I don't actually know it's status 100%, but the shop that I was lucky to borrow it from said it was a working unit.

Still hoping that you or someone might have some insight.

Thanks,
Don

The following users liked this post:
GGG (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 02:32 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Don,

Thanks for confirming the model. I've moved your thread to X300 forum (and amended the title) for advice from members with the same model.

Graham

Old 12-13-2019, 10:19 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Holtz
Hello Graham,

It is a 6 cylinder engine.

I spent a few more hours today cleaning grounding points and checking power supplies. I also observed that the power locks don't work, the shifter is stuck in "P" and the red "P" is illuminated, wipers don't work, turn signals don't work, power windows DO work. After charging the battery voltage was at 12.5V. The SRS Air Bag light turns on when trying to crank.

Oddly, the bulb failure indicator is on even though I could not find any burnt out bulbs.

I assume that spare BPM that I tried works. I don't actually know it's status 100%, but the shop that I was lucky to borrow it from said it was a working unit.

Still hoping that you or someone might have some insight.

Thanks,
Don
Don,
I have a 1997 XJ6 with almost exactly the same no crank symptoms as yours. My wipers, power locks dont work. P is glowing red. I unable to find the rest of the thread with the solution if one was found, I'd very much like to compare notes as I'd really like to get my car started.

Chris (aka Rodders)

Old 12-15-2019, 10:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no crank issue

you may want to investigate your BCM(body control module) located behind the glove box. my "No crank " issue was solved when I replaced this computer.

Don B (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 12:49 PM

Found some residue on the BPM circuit board consistent with condensation. Also found green corrosion between two prongs on the black ECU connector. Cleaning both but not expecting any miracles. Tempted to try the ECU and BPM from my ‘96 but it runs and functions perfectly and I’m reluctant to chance compromising it.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:19 AM

Cleaned everything and reconnected but no change. Still no crank, no wipers, no power door locks, no transmission interlock release even though P is glowing red. Considering trying the ‘97 BPM in the ‘96 to see if I can recreate the problem in the ‘96 and narrow the issue to the BPM. Still reluctant to try the good ‘96 BPM in the ‘97 for fear the good BPM could somehow get compromised.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be the Rear Compartment Fuse box - Right hand side Heelboard.
This is located under the rear passenger seat.
This is what the fuse box controls:
F1 (15A) Central door locking
F2 (5A) Gearshift interlock ECM
F3 (15A) Seat motor - left hand side
F4 (15A) Seat motor - left hand side
F5 (5A) Automatic transmission ECM
F6 Not used
F7 (30A) Anti lock braking system (ABS) control (via ECM)
F8 (10) Interior lights
F9 (25A) Seat heaters
F10 (5A) Jaguar diagnostic system, (where fitted) Fuel pump relay coil
F11 (20A) Air conditioning, Seat ECM's
F12 (10A) AIr con Seat Ecm's Mirror heater, Power assisted steering
F13 Not used
F14 (10A) Mirrors, heated rear window Cigar lighter, Rear lighting control module, High mounted stop lamp
F15 (30A) Window lift (front and rear) right hand
F16 (10A) Windscreen wiper system front screen heaters, Front lighting control module - left hand, water pump relay.
F17 (15A) Airbag
F18 (15A) Sunroof.
It seems many of your faults may originate in this area - Wipers, gear lock, Airbag (SRS)
But some may be OK
Check for water damage as this may be the problem.
Good luck.
Best, Chris

Old 01-13-2020, 01:03 AM
Default Progress?

I changed out the BPM and most if not all electrical functions have been restored. Sadly the “no crank” issue persists.

The dash lights are all functioning, the “P” Park light on the transmission flows red and the interlock now releases when I press the brake pedal. (It wasn’t releasing before changing the BPM).

I have checked all the fuses and cleaned the body grounds. I switched out the starter relay with the wiper relay. The battery is fully charged and starts my ‘96 X300 without hesitation.

Happy New Year 2020

Old 01-19-2020, 03:25 PM

Hi, did you ever get this problem fixed? I have a 1995 XJ6 X300 doing the exact same thing. I have read for 2 days and no one has an answer.
Thanks.

Old 01-19-2020, 04:23 PM
Default Still no joy

I put the project on hold temporarily due to cold inhospitable weather and more pressing demands. I continue to be hopeful as I explore the body grounds located in the trunk and under the hood. I’m taking them apart, cleaning and reassembling. I’ll probably revisit the relays after that task is completed. The short answer to your question is “no” but definitely felt progress was made when I replaced the BPM. If I fail to make any additional progress after the above tasks I will look for a replacement ECU and see if that makes a difference. I will say this is a Chicago car and has no shortage of corrosion. I have a ‘96 XJ6 with no corrosion and it is fine. At the end of the day which will run out first, my patience or my will to live

Old 01-19-2020, 05:22 PM
Default Unsolved mysteries

If you do find a solution please let me know. I agree it’s hard to find a definitive answer anywhere. I would love to have or develop a yes/no flow chart starting with good battery check and moving through the various processes in a logical fashion. I search for answers and find possible solutions that this far haven’t been the Holy Grail

Old 01-19-2020, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the reply and answer. I will let you know if I have any success. Hope one of us can figure this out...

Rodders (01-19-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 04:04 PM

I was able to fix my problem which is extremely similar to yours. Over the last four days, I have tried a multitude of procedures to start my X300 1995 XJ6. I will explain only the last procedure which seemed to be the one that worked.

-Removed torx plug from J-gate and moved gearshift to neutral
-Inserted key and turned to second position (Run)
-Removed blue relay from left-hand engine bay fusebox
-Removed blue relay from right-hand engine bay fusebox and swapped with relay just removed from left-side. Felt relay click upon insertion.
-Inserted the relay from right-side into the left-side fuse box and I could hear things working that hadn't in a long time...
-Moved gearshift to Park
-Turned ignition off, removed key
-Inserted key and started car. Best sound I had heard in four days!!!

Another thing I will mention but it's probably not important: Before swapping relays, I must of accidentally turned on the wiper motor. Because when I inserted the left-side relay and things came to life, I immediately knew because the wipers started working that hadn't in days.

Good luck and I hope others find this helpful.

Old 01-20-2020, 04:07 PM
Default Fixed no crank situation

[QUOTE=longrange9;2181137]I was able to fix my problem which is extremely similar to yours. Over the last four days, I have tried a multitude of procedures to start my X300 1995 XJ6. I will explain only the last procedure which seemed to be the one that worked.

-Removed torx plug from J-gate and moved gearshift to neutral
-Inserted key and turned to second position (Run)
-Removed blue relay from left-hand engine bay fusebox
-Removed blue relay from right-hand engine bay fusebox and swapped with relay just removed from left-side. Felt relay click upon insertion.
-Inserted the relay from right-side into the left-side fuse box and I could hear things working that hadn't in a long time...
-Moved gearshift to Park
-Turned ignition off, removed key
-Inserted key and started car. Best sound I had heard in four days!!!

Another thing I will mention but it's probably not important: Before swapping relays, I must of accidentally turned on the wiper motor. Because when I inserted the left-side relay and things came to life, I immediately knew because the wipers started working that hadn't in days.

Good luck and I hope others find this helpful.

If this doesn't work, let me know and I can explain the step taken just before this procedure which may of played a roll also.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:54 PM
Default Great info

Was one of your symptoms being stuck in Park? That was one of my original symptoms but was resolved by changing the BPM. When I changed the BPM the wipers and transmission interlock worked as they should. Do you think one of your relays was defective or not making a good contact and the taking out and putting in made a good contact. I would love to hear that sound too. Thank you for sharing and very well done

Old 01-21-2020, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Inertia switch?
In the right time hand footwell at the bottom of the A pillar is a switch with a black rubber button. Try pressing the button and see if it cranks.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:48 PM
Default I wish

Yep, that was one of the early things I tried when I was hoping it was something simple and easy. Not to say it isn’t simple and easy but if it is I haven’t figured it out yet.

When I first got the car it had gone “bad” in the prior owners driveway from sitting for months and months. The P light on the transmission was lighting up but the interlock relay would not release when I depressed the foot pedal. That along with multiple other electrical systems not functioning led me to replace the BPM (behind the glove box) which showed some evidence of past moisture (perhaps condensation).

I plugged in the replacement BPM and most electrical systems came back to life including a fully functional transmission interlock relay that now released the shifter when I put my foot on the brake. Ever hopeful I tried to start the car but still nothing from the starter motor. The dash lights and cooling fans come on as they should but no crank whatsoever. I will re-examine the fuel cut again out but the button seems to pushed in which I believe is correct.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, trouble shooting continues

Quick Reply: 1997 Jaguar Vanden Plas (X300) won't crank.