XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

2nd Fuel Line on X300 XJSport

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 09:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2nd Fuel Line on X300 XJSport

After cleaning and refitting the fuel tank on my X300, a fuel pipe was poorly repaired and the sharp cuts of the pipe have torn the joining hose from within. I'm in process of repairing that joint with 8mm hose and jubilee clips.

However, the pipe appears to be attached to a further rubber hose, which looks to be kinked and under strain. This metal pipe is next to the fuel filter, and is a second fuel pipe (not to or from the fuel filter). Does anyone know the purpose of that second pipe and the route it takes to the tank – how to get to it??

(Both pipes are not safely located in their designated clips either, so there's another little task.)

Pictures attached.

1. The offending ruptured pipe. 2. A picture of what they are supposed to look like. 3 & 4 Pics of the pipe in question – next to the one to and from the filter.

Thanks for any enlightenment you can bring.

Dave

Ruptured original repair

Stock Picture of the filter and 2 fuel pipes.

The lower pipe appears to be connected to a kinked rubber hose which is hard to get at.

As 3rd photo, but closer to Tank.

Old 07-09-2021, 06:36 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

The other pipe is the return from the fuel rail back to the tank. I guess the hose was used to replace a rusty section. I have recently replaced the underfloor pipes with copper joined to the steel with rubber hose, so hope it fairs better. Obviously important that it is supported. Due to the use of rubber hose to join I used some p-clips on the suspension mount bolts to secure the upper end of the copper pipe so that they wouldn't vibrate and the return pipe would be adequately supported in its original clip. I guess the return pipe original rubber section disappears through the floor to the tank. Luckily mine looked ok, as no way I could get to it - I couldn't even undo the inboard (inlet) end of my fuel filter despite buying stubby spanners especially!

Old 07-09-2021, 08:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input John. I guess I''l try and feen another hose from the tank to that area. With the exhaust just below, will need to secure the hoses somehow. Not a lot of room. I'll take a look.
At least I managed to replace the filter.
Thanks again.
Dave