XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

'95 Xj6 - Dash lights won't go out after car is off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 Xj6 - Dash lights won't go out after car is off.

Hi all - bought this car last March and have been procrastinating dealing with this issue. Basically, when the car is off, key out, the dash lights remain on - as well as the door and radio lights, etc. Obviously, this drains the battery. Looking at the PO's receipts, he had the car taken to have it diagnosed for why the battery was draining, but never had the problem fixed - which leads me to believe it's a complicated fix.

The light dimmer works. I've pulled the fuse for the dash lights, and this solves the problem - except no gauges at night (although I can still see them by flipping on a map light). This has been my "fix".

Anyway, I bought the CDRom with the wiring diagrams on it, which don't help. I've heard others mention they have this problem - but unfortunately, I don't hear much on how, specifically, to fix it. I heard people respond that it might be this part or that, but since I know little about Jags I don't know what those parts are, where to get them, where they are in the car, etc. Also, I try not to just randomly replace parts as a method of problem solving.

So anyway, if anyone has an idea of what it could be, I'd like to work on this myself. I visit this forum from time to time - but I would guess that most Jag owners send their cars out to be fixed. I just feel like this would cost a lot to have fixed at a shop, as most electrical work is.

Thanks in advance for any technical help or info you can offer.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:09 AM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: '95 Xj6 - Dash lights won't go out after car is off.

unless you are familiar with the Jag electrical system, I would strongly suggest you send it to an authorize electrician to avoid getting into bigger trouble. Troubles like fire due to inability to recognize the right wiring connections. (any short circuit is dangerous to a jaguar)