XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

'95 XJ6 - need desperate help with rear wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '95 XJ6 - need desperate help with rear wheel bearings

Hey everybody...first and foremost I'm a certified auto tech but don't specialize in Jaguars. I own a '95 XJ6 and attempted to do the rear wheel bearings on it today using the kit from motorcars ltd. It seemed pretty cut and dry...popped out hub, removed seals, bearings, races, abs ring, and spacers/shims...greased everything up real good, and put back together. However, the play in the hubs actually seems even worse than it was with the old bearings in it. When I wiggle the rear wheel back and forward I'm getting a good 1/2 inch of movement side to side and up and down. I can't figure out why I can't get this play out of the bearings as I used a bearing packer and packed them FULL of grease. Could it possibly be due to me using the old shims/spacers? I installed the shim on the tapered end of the spacer which is facing towards the outer bearing (this appeared to be the way it came out and looks to be right from my diagram but please correct me if I'm wrong) They looked to be in great shape so I didn't see the need to replace them and thought they had more to do with bearing preload than actual side to side play. Please if you can advise me on anything to look out for I would be more than greatful. The car is stuck on the lift at my garage right now and I only have a loaner car for a couple days and need to order additional parts if need-be. Thanks a lot

My best
Bill

Old 03-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Were the outer bearing races a tight fit into their recesses in the hub carrier? I have seen a case where the outer race had spun, and "lathed" the recess for the outer race deeper than designed.

Are you sure the play is at the hub bearings, and not the lower fulcrum bearings at the lower pivot of the hub carrier?

There isn't much to replacing the hub bearings, and altering the size of the selective spacer is generally not necessary. One other thought, if what you took apart was really smoked, the end of the large bearing spacer might have been lathed down. I can measure one if you have yours back apart. Not much else coming to mind at the moment.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:46 PM

Hi JagTechOhio...thanks for your quick response. Yes I am positive the play is in the hub assembly itself and not in the fulcrum bearings. When I wiggle the wheel side to side or up and down it doesn't pivot at all on the fulcrum shaft, but there is significant play where the axle meets the hub. Upon further investigation it looks like I may have put the spacer and shims in backwards due to a bad diagram via alldatapro. Alldatapro's diagram shows the tapered end of the spacer facing the inner bearing, which is correct, but it shows the shim being placed between the outer bearing and non-tapered end of the spacer. After searching a few other forums it looks like the shim should be mated to the tapered end of the spacer and both should be facing the inner bearing. I don't know if something as simple as this would cause my particular issue as it doesn't appear the tapered end really presses into one bearing vs. another, but it is worth a try I suppose. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again

Old 03-11-2009, 08:06 PM

Yep, you put it together wrong. That arrangement puts no preload against the outer bearing, enough on the inner bearing that it should have been binding in rotation, and the axle nut would be noticably closer toward the end of the halfshaft when compared to the other side.

The following users liked this post:
hjsteadman (05-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2009, 09:38 PM

I thank you very much. I may contact alldatapro and let them know their diagram is a bit off. One of the shims seemed to have gotten a bit mangled but I'll try flipping things around the opposite way tomorrow and hopefully it'll go back together nicely; and I didn't screw things up too badly tightening it down the other way

Thanks again!

-Bill

Old 03-11-2009, 09:42 PM

Give me a holler if you need anything, it's all on the shelf.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:04 PM

What's your contact info? Are you at a dealer or other parts supplier in Ohio? I normally order through motorcarsltd in Texas but being in Mass, it takes usually 5 business days for parts to arrive, which isn't ideal if I have a condition making it undriveable. Ohio I would think I'd get parts 1-2 days sooner. I'll go through you next time I need something (inner tie rod shortly)...just hook me up with your info. Thanks again

Bill

Old 03-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I finally got the alignment stuff, but I see you've fixed it. Sorry about the delay. Inner tie rods are a bit of a trick. We had them made since Jaguar won't sell them without a rack. Let us know if you need one.