XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

'96 Vanden Plas Starting issue and post-start grinding sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 Vanden Plas Starting issue and post-start grinding sound

Hi guys. Still finding my way through the forum.
Which model section do I use for a '96 I6 Vanden Plas technical question?

This is my epistle, but want to put it in the right place:
Hello Forum,
Bought my Jag in February of this year. Beautiful car and wonderful driver, but right from the start there was a high-pitched grinding sound upon start just after the engine engaged. I assumed it was the starter going bad.
Sure enough, one day turned the key and nothing but a click. Battery was clean and strong. Mechanic checked the starter and it was bad and replaced it. Oddly, that starter failed after about 4 days and was replaced free on warranty. Engine starts nicely now, but intermittent grinding after start continues.

All was well for several weeks bringing us to the latest issue. When turning the key engine turns over strongly, but fails to start. After a few tries it starts and runs with no problems. Very sporadically, this problem recurs. My mechanic thinks it is the fuel pump going bad and suggests I put the key in the "ON" position for 10 seconds before starting to see if that helps get the fuel pressure up. This seems to work for a while, but the problem remains and is very sporadic.

I have tried starting it off and on now for about ten days. Sometimes it will start immediately, sometimes it will turn over three to five times before starting. On occasion, it will start and then die once before starting and maintaining proper idle.

Question 1: does this sound like a fuel pump problem?
Question 2: what might that grinding sound be that occurs only sometimes and just after starting? This grinding sound is also sporadic. It is like the sound you get when you hold the key in the start position too long and you get starter grinding. I am very careful to let the key return to "ON" immediately after starting, so I think I can rule out "Problem between steering wheel and seat."

I will eventually have to take the car in for full diagnosis, but any suggestions from the technically savvy among you is appreciated. My mechanic says a fuel pump is an expensive repair on a hunch.

Note: my mechanic has 30 years experience, but not Jaguar-specific and does not have the fitting to verify fuel pressure. I'll have to go the the Jag dealership and pay the big $$ for that diagnosis. I just don't want to be ripped off by them.

Many thanks in advance,
Tom

Old 10-19-2011, 03:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

You already know that you need to check fuel pressure. Although I believe that you can hire the kit and do it yourself.

If it runs fine after finally starting, I would suspect fuel pressure relief valve problems.

But others will have better info.

The following users liked this post:
TMC21 (10-27-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 03:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by TMC21
Question 1: does this sound like a fuel pump problem?

Question 2: what might that grinding sound be that occurs only sometimes and just after starting? This grinding sound is also sporadic. It is like the sound you get when you hold the key in the start position too long and you get starter grinding. I am very careful to let the key return to "ON" immediately after starting, so I think I can rule out "Problem between steering wheel and seat."
1. It can also be a marginal battery. These cars are extremely picky about battery voltage. Cranks fine, but the computer has alzheimers.

2. The starter is very likely a sticking solenoid. The clutch is failing to release on overrun. Your mechanic should recognise it as the symptoms for the condition are common to all cars and goes back to at least the 60's. He probably doesn't want to hear it because it means a third starter.

A dealer is not a ripoff if they happen to be the only one who can diagnose the problem quickly. You may not like their rates, but if your mechanic can't do the job at all, then he is more expensive on a per fix basis.

Last edited by plums; 10-19-2011 at 03:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TMC21 (10-27-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update on the starting issues on the '96 Vanden Plas - Took it to the dealer today. It started for me on the second try and it drove beautifully the 30 miles to the dealership. Surprise!! they could not reproduce the problem in the shop so they gave me a loaner and they will test it cold in the morning. Strange that it was a problem for me cold or hot, but the diagnostic fee is at least worth the complimentary car wash. Seriously though, it will be good to get my Jag back. I've missed the smell of leather. And that Mercury Grand marquis they gave me as a loaner is a lousy driving car. It's a rough ride and really loud. All I can say is that the radio is pretty good.
I really appreciate the comments and will update you when the results.