XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Location of chassis number(s)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 07:41 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Location of chassis number(s)

I seem to recall some time back on this forum that there are two locations for chassis numbers, one in the boot (trunk) next to the battery and another somewhere in the engine compartment. I can find the one at the rear, but for the life of me I can't locate the front one.
Can someone please tell me where it is?
Thanks.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I think you refer to engine number , chassis number is located below windshield (left side on my jag ) . The engine number is nearby manifold . which manifold ? I don't remember sorry

Old 10-27-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by RegentV12
I think you refer to engine number , chassis number is located below windshield (left side on my jag ) . The engine number is nearby manifold . which manifold ? I don't remember sorry
Thanks for that. No, I'm not referring to the engine number, I'm asking about the chassis number - SAJ..........etc. I know there is a small plate bearing this number at the bottom of the front windscreen, but I'm sure there should be 2 others stamped into the metal, front and rear of the vehicle. As I say in my original post, I've found the one near the battery, but I'm sure there should be another one at the front end (other than the small windscreen plate).
A mechanic told me this was the case in all vehicles to help detect if two cars have been cut in half and joined in the centre, making one.

Thanks again.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Also its etched into the driver sid door window under the buckle up decal

Old 10-28-2011, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lumppy47
Also its etched into the driver sid door window under the buckle up decal
Thanks for that. Firstly, it may be different in various world markets, but as far as my car's concerned there is no such chassis reference on the window. All I've got is the Jaguar Warning System stickers and Triplex glass reference numbers.
From the couple of replies it seems I am mistaken about a chassis number also being metal stamped somewhere in the front engine compartment. Although I'm pretty sure it was said previously on this forum.
If, as I've been told, it's 'insurance' against the chance of two ends of a different vehicle having been joined together, then it would be pretty straightforward for an unscrupulous person to replace the side window if that was where it was situated (in addition to one at the base of the windscreen).

Old 10-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aside from the one stamped in metal on the windscreen I found VIN # labels on most of the major body panels. On my boot there is one on the lid as well as in the groove running around the boot. The drivers side doors also have them. I have them on the front and rear bumpers also. The manual that I have says there are some on the bonnet but i don't have any there. Strange now that I think about. The only one metal I can find is the one on the windscreen. The manual does say USA only so if you are elsewhere i guess these dont apply.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by V12kity
Aside from the one stamped in metal on the windscreen I found VIN # labels on most of the major body panels. On my boot there is one on the lid as well as in the groove running around the boot. The drivers side doors also have them. I have them on the front and rear bumpers also. The manual that I have says there are some on the bonnet but i don't have any there. Strange now that I think about. The only one metal I can find is the one on the windscreen. The manual does say USA only so if you are elsewhere i guess these dont apply.

Thanks for that, but none of the above can be described as locations for 'chassis numbers' which are, by definition, stamped on to the chassis. All the parts referred to are removable and can be replaced, often for very legitimate reasons - eg; accident damage.
The whole point of chassis numbers is that they cannot be replaced by removal of a body part or panel.
Manufacturers stamp front & rear to prevent the unscrupulous individual from taking front & rear sections of accident damaged vehicles and welding them together as one.
I'm 99% sure my vehicle will have locations front & rear for such numbers, I know where the rear one is, it's stamped in to floor of the boot. But where is the front one?
Thanks again.