XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

96 VDP speedometer and anti-lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 VDP speedometer and anti-lock problem

Found out the speedometer works intermittently, and the anti-lock light on and off along with it.

Seems the speed sensor on the differential or its wiring?

Anyone knows if the ABS speed sensor will feed output to speedometer?

I am not sure which is next step...

Old 02-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Your model does not have a sensor in the differential. The ABS module sends the instruments a speed signal based on the LR wheel speed sensor. I seem to recall someone in training saying that if the ABS lost the LR sensor, it would then use the RR sensor. I can't prove that, but that's my recollection.

Good luck.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

You need to see what codes are stored in the abs control module, cause it could be sensor, wiring, module etc... If the abs module looses communication, power, ground, signals, you get no speedo. Yes the abs module sends the cars speed to the instrument pack. Dont just assume its the sensor/s.The first thing you could do as a DIY is pull the abs wheel speed snesors out and clean them. disconnect and reconnect the electrical connectors as this cleans pins a many times fixes a intermittent signal since the pins can get unseen corrosion and the simple action or disc.reconnect cleans and reestablishes a good connection.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:25 AM

Update:

Cleaned both front ABS sensor and still no speed reading. Will be back soon to report the disconnect/reconnect trick.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:45 AM

Took 5 minutes to clean the ABS module connector, and applied the disconnect/reconnect trick. Still not registering the speed yet.

Brutal, is there anyway to pull the code out myself?

Old 04-01-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by stojakovic
took 5 minutes to clean the abs module connector, and applied the disconnect/reconnect trick. Still not registering the speed yet.

Brutal, is there anyway to pull the code out myself?
youll need a code reader that can do abs, theyre out there and you can try the auto parts stores to see if the one they use is capable. I know i saw 1 in oreilly yesturday that said abs, and can capable>>of course it also said $200

Old 04-02-2011, 11:53 AM

Cleaned rear ABS sensors, problem persist.

I noticed a pattern of the anti-lock light:

1, when it is on when cold start, once the speed is above 10 MPH, the light comes off and the speedo works fine;

2, once applied brake when speed below 10 MPH, the light comes back again until next cycle.

I am skeptical about the ABS module circuit board - seems a bad capacitor some where.

I will go oreilly for the reader and try to pull out the code.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:11 PM

Just have th codes pulled.

C1236 Rear left wheel speed signal missing.

C1261 Rear left sensor - wheel speed comparison.

Remind me about the RL sensor; it seemed worn out a little on the surface.

Will test the connections again to confirm.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 AM

Put the back of the car on jack stands and unplug the link lead to the lr spd sensor. Using a dvom set to ac put the car in drive(remember i did say rear of car on jack stands) and with the wheel turning you should have ac voltage. If not disconnect the link lead and test for continuity, if you have cont. Replace the sensor, it bad. If you have a ac signal your issue is the module or the wiring in between

Old 07-07-2011, 12:09 PM

Update:

Currently the ABS light occasionally on the first start after parking for 1-2 days.

It will be off next start.

The speedo works good after I have cleaned the sensor.

Had a new sensor on hand, but just want to see how long will the old one last.

Brutal, thanks and I will do the diagnose before I actually replace the old sensor.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

It sounds af if you might have two problems. Many folks report intermittent ABS fault indication with a low battery condition. The "first start after parking" MIGHT be a result of low voltage as you start out.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:27 AM

Can anybody tell me how to replace my LR when'll sensor on my 97 xj6. any help will be appreciated

Old 03-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Need for Speed
Can anybody tell me how to replace my LR when'll sensor on my 97 xj6. any help will be appreciated
Jack up the car, support same and remove the road wheel. You will see the sensor sitting on the top of the wheel hub assembly, held in place with a screw. Unscrew and slide the sensor up out of its' housing. The sensor may have the wiring connected directly, as an integral part, or it may plug into the sensor, depending on the type. I suspect yours may plug in.

If not, follow the lead back up through the floor into the space beneath the rear seat. To remove the rear seat, remove the two heelboards and unscrew the teo screws, one each side, that hold the seat brackets in place.

Pull the seat upwards and out, feeding the seat belt mountings through on the way. Beneath the foam lining you will find the other end of the lead and its' connector. The lead will be cable tied along the way, usually around the brake caliper and brake line. Remove these and remove the lead and sensor attached, complete with the rubber grommet where the lead passes through the floor.

It's no harm to spray some wd40 or similar around the sensor before removing as they can become stuck and the top can shear off if you twist it, while thinking it's coming free.

It is possible to lever the sensor up from below, by inserting a thin flat bar, (like a largish spanner) into the space beneath the sensor, from the inner side of the hub assembly. Just feel around and you will see what I mean. The left rear sensor also feeds the signal to the speedo, just in case yours is acting up and sometimes a clean up is all thats needed.

The reluctor ring (toothed wheel ) will be visible through the hole, with the help of a light, once the sensor is removed. These teeth can become gummed up with crud and so also affect the sensor signal. Easily cleaned, with a long thin screwdriver or similar, tooth by tooth while rotating the wheel.

Hope this helps. Should take less than 30 minutes.