XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

96 XJ6 for me :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 96 XJ6 for me :)

Hello all,

I bought this two weeks ago, and didn't post it. I bought a 1996 XJ6 two weeks ago yesterday for $2,900. It had 145,450 miles on it when I bought it, but has an additional 230 miles now. It was missing a few light covers, and had a broken right rear view mirror and broken automatic radio antenna mast. Most of the problems have been fixed now, still need to find a seatbelt clip for the driver's seat, and pick up an oxygen sensor.

I have already removed that stupid looking steering wheel cover. The seatbelt clip is pictured.

I am very surprised how clean the engine bay is.

And here is what it looks like currently, with new metal grille inserts replacing the cracked ones, and turn signal light covers on.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails 96 XJ6 for me :)-dsc_0004-1.jpg   96 XJ6 for me :)-dsc_0006.jpg   96 XJ6 for me :)-dsc_0009-1.jpg   96 XJ6 for me :)-dsc_0003-3.jpg   96 XJ6 for me :)-xj60021.jpg  

Old 10-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Congratulations

Cheers
DD

Old 10-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If to find the cupholder broke, I've found that I believe it's the x308s non-cupholder fits perfectly in its place and you replace the catch with a magnetic clip easily found.

The following users liked this post:
Nighteyez (10-03-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ad if you haven't replaced the rear view mirror yet, it's the same part that's in another make vehicle...can't remember but search for my name and my posts. Way cheaper wi out the jag name and the wires only needed to be swapped around.

Nighteyez (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the info. I bought a wide angle universal clip on mirror for the inside rear view mirror and a similar universal for the passenger side right mirror, however, it will not stay on so I had to resort to clear tape. Looks a bit tacky, but it works. found one on eBay for $90 but I don't want to pay that much for a mirror if I don't have to. The cup holder is a annoyance, but I can live with it for now. I am trying to get the XJS fixed so I can turn a profit on it. Once that is sold, I can spend some money on this one.

Jim

Old 10-05-2013, 04:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Jim,

Congrats on the x300. Nice update with the mesh grills. Mine has them too. A few years ago I was able to rebuild my seat belt latch using parts from the rear center seat belt latch. It has been secure and trouble free since. Hopefully you have the shell for it? I don't know if the rear shell would fit the front latch.

If you do this, mark the rear latch "Do not use" or similar, and don't carry anyone there. Of course if it is disassembled or doesn't latch anyway, that would be obvious.

Nighteyez (10-06-2013)
Old 10-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I have a similar chuck of bumper missing on the rear corner - do you think it can be filled with a glass reinforced filler, like Duraglas?

Old 10-06-2013, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
Jim,

Congrats on the x300. Nice update with the mesh grills. Mine has them too. A few years ago I was able to rebuild my seat belt latch using parts from the rear center seat belt latch. It has been secure and trouble free since. Hopefully you have the shell for it? I don't know if the rear shell would fit the front latch.

If you do this, mark the rear latch "Do not use" or similar, and don't carry anyone there. Of course if it is disassembled or doesn't latch anyway, that would be obvious.
Thanks for the info, will have to try that. I don't carry anyone in the back seat anyway, since I am single, and have no kids, or grand kids.

Jim

Last edited by Nighteyez; 10-08-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by mgb4tim
I have a similar chuck of bumper missing on the rear corner - do you think it can be filled with a glass reinforced filler, like Duraglas?
I am not sure, but I was told by my Pastor at church that a church member repairs bumpers for a living, so maybe he uses Duraglas, I will try and find out today.

Jim

The following 2 users liked this post by Nighteyez:
Don B (03-11-2014), mgb4tim (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Nighteyez
I am not sure, but I was told by my Pastor at church that a church member repairs bumpers for a living, so maybe he uses Duraglas, I will try and find out today.
Jim
Not trying to be a bible -thumper, but being active in your church offers a wealth of opportunity.

I bought my 95 XJ6 from a widow at my church...LOL

Don B (03-11-2014)
Old 10-08-2013, 12:41 AM

Yes indeed, there are a lot of different professionals at a church, can get almost anything done. Wasn't able to talk to the bumper guy yesterday, and next weekend is the 500 Miglia, so I will not be in church, but cruising up and down California in the XJ6. Should be a very rewarding drive. Will see if I can find out about the bumper fix in two weeks.

On a different note, my mechanic friend has fixed the XJ-S, and it is not going to cost an arm and a leg (I was thinking rebuilt trans, or engine) as it was just a simple (?) wiring issue under the dash. It took him the better part of a week to track it down, but it is going to save me some money so the wait was worth it.

Jim

Don B (03-11-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 04:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your XJ6 looks identical to my Vanden Plas

Old 03-10-2014, 11:45 PM

Cool, your Vanden Plas probably runs better than my XJ6 as mine keeps breaking down. It is currently sitting in my driveway, not driven in weeks because of a bad coil on plug. Which stopped working two weeks after I had the oil pan and timing chain replaced due to a tensioner bolt coming loose, and hitting the chain and poking a hole in the oil pan. This happened during the above mentioned Coastal drive.

Jim

Old 03-11-2014, 12:26 AM

It runs good when it wants to. It has developed a hesitation on acceleration and sometimes it dies. It takes a minute to get it started again.

I have a few things wrong with it like the sunroof won't open and the sliding cover is detached. It won't lock. I don't know if the security system works. I have only one key for it. The cup holder is missing. The trunk button on the dash worked once but not anymore.

I'm curious because I bought it for a commuter for work hoping for better fuel mileage than my pickup.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:00 AM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Your bumper looks like mine see

Hi
Nice car.. i had a similar problem with my bumper. see attached pic.. i filled it out with Bondo and sanded it out now I need to get ready to move to then final step of priming and paint But I also have to repair a missing piece on the bottom LHS of the lower part of the bumper... After I get that done then I will paint it all...

BigBoss in Dallas

Attached Thumbnails 96 XJ6 for me :)-p1030302.jpg   96 XJ6 for me :)-p1030300.jpg  
Old 03-11-2014, 12:07 PM

I will only repair my bumper if I decide to keep the car. Right now it is up for sale, however, it has been listed for months and nobody has expressed an interest. The coil problem did not show up until a month ago, and even without that issue, I have not had anyone call or email me. I have it listed on eBay as well as Autotrader.com. So it looks like I will be keeping it, and using it as a daily driver when I get the coil replaced. It gets much better gas mileage than my Bronco, or F350.

Other than the coil issue, it needs an oxygen sensor which I have already bought but have not installed yet, and the power mirrors don't work which is only a minor problem as they are in a good position for me to see with. The main issue is the driver's inside door handle does not work, so I have to roll down the window and reach outside to use the outside door handle to get out of the car. LOL. Everything else works but the sunroof does like to stop in the middle of its travel sometimes instead of going all the way back.

Jim

Old 03-12-2014, 07:49 AM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like it might be worth doing a little work on it and keep it running.... Mine just passed the annual Inspection.... Just need to fix the bumper and maybe tackle the suspension/absorbers..
BigBossRadio in Dallas, TX

Old 03-12-2014, 01:16 PM
Default Drivers door

Nighteyes I had to do the same on the drivers door. Mine was an easy fix it had come unhooked at the inside door handle. Gently pry the plate under the inside door handle off and take the screw out and you will be able to access the handle mechanism.

Hope this helps.....

Andy

Nighteyez (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 AM

Thanks, will look into that once I get the trunk open so I can re-install the battery. I would not mind keeping it, as I did buy it for myself. However, I have no income at the moment, and need money for bills. If I can get a steady income (other than selling my possessions) I will keep it, and use it as a DD. I love the car when it is running, but hate all the break downs.

Jim

Old 03-13-2014, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Thanks, will look into that once I get the trunk open so I can re-install the battery. I would not mind keeping it, as I did buy it for myself. However, I have no income at the moment, and need money for bills. If I can get a steady income (other than selling my possessions) I will keep it, and use it as a DD. I love the car when it is running, but hate all the break downs.
Jim

I hear you Jim I traded for my VDP because my transmission is out in my pickup. I am also not working. Waiting for winter to let go so I can get back into construction....

I also traded for an 02 Monte Carlo SS so the wife has something besides her Tahoe.

So now with 4 vehicles instead if 2 insurance is up but hopefully fuel mileage between the cars will help offset that.....lol

Quick Reply: 96 XJ6 for me :)