XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

96 XJ6 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 XJ6 won't start

Hello again, ok I have 96 XJ6 auto,...I have replaced the battery, checked the starter now here's my problem.....When I turn the key no nose at all, no clicks hums, cranks, or buzz.just no noise..... But all the windows, AC, lights, dash,control panels, everything works. Except the key and the motor. I can jump the starter, by crossing the two lines (neg/pos) with the key in start position and the car will, start and run. That's the only way I found to engage the motor.....any suggestions or ideas about what it could be, before I have the car towed over 80 miles to the nearest Jag dealer..thanks

Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

i had same problem once there is a reset button driver side (u/k) in footwell to right of gas pedal take trim off and there is a button press that and see what happens ,it should hopefully work for you

Old 03-19-2013, 11:35 AM

after you replaced the battery did you disengage the alarm?

Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

When you turn the key to "on" take a peek at the gearshift indicator. Is the "P" glowing red"? If not, jiggle the gearshift and/or move it back-n-forth a few times. If the the "P" now glows red, try starting and see what happens.

If "P" isn't glowing red the starter will not operate.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
RossPSP (05-08-2014)
Old 06-27-2013, 01:47 AM
Default I have a XJ6 with the same problem

I was wondering, what did you do to solve that problem. I have the exact same issue that you have.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

try the first reply. reset the inertia switch. on US spec car its on passenger side right hand footwell, under the glove box. stick your hand down there and push down on the button.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:18 AM

Ok so when the the tow arrived to get my baby, she started right on up, now I'm sitting here at home looking for the elusive inertia switch wit no luck. And I don't want drive because it may do the same thing. Does any body have a picture of the inertia switch?

Old 06-30-2013, 04:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

d jag,

If it started right up then the inertia switch was not tripped. But for clarity, it is at the right corner of the right footwell, up high, but reachable without removing any panel. It has a button on top of it. Usually tripped by a collision, to disable the fuel and/or ignition system.

What about the glowing "P" Doug suggests?

Old 06-30-2013, 08:14 AM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The glowing P.

What he means is, there is a switch under the J-Gate. This switch will be pushed in when the gear is in Parking.

These switches are known to fail because they get dirty or worn from the inside. When this switch is not pressed, the car will not know it is in parking and it will not start.

I think to easily test this, just put in the key and turn it to the position before starting the engine. You should see the P glowing red in the J-gate.

You should also hear the solenoid clicking when you press on the break pedal.

When you are still not sure, you can open the ski slope and unscrew the 4 bolts on the J-gate and manually push in the switch.

Goodluck!

Old 07-01-2013, 11:46 AM

I found the inertia switch, I had to turn upside down to see it...haha, the P glows also. I have been driving all weekend now trying to simulate the problem. Thanks for all the help

Old 07-02-2013, 05:46 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

It's the gear shift switch. Now and then I have to do the jiggle thing. A stealth anti-theft device.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:57 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the jiggle thing works for me as well sometimes P isn't glowing : )

A stealth anti-theft device is a fun description to this problem

Old 04-13-2015, 10:26 AM
Default crank problems

My car will crank one day then won't crank for a week I bought it used replaced the battery I don't know if it's the security system or What Please help me

Old 04-13-2015, 10:17 PM
Received 12,725 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by Tamika89
My car will crank one day then won't crank for a week I bought it used replaced the battery I don't know if it's the security system or What Please help me

Hi Tamika89,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Jag, but without additional details, we could onliy guess at the cause or causes. I would suggest you spend some time reading all the information available in the thread at the link below, which may give you some ideas for possible suspects:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ngines-120221/

Also, since we're a friendly group, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jag and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

MountainMan (06-05-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 10:40 PM

1997 Jaguar XJ6 also won't Start:
My XJ6 has failed to start three times... since I bought it a month ago... leaving me stranded.
In each case, I've been driving OK, and stop/park normally... lights were OFF while gone... nothing that should drain battery.
When I come back to to car (under an hour later) I unlock door with key (which should disable alarm) get in, attempt to start car, dash lights up normally, with key in mid position, but when turning key forward to "starter" position "nothing"... no clicks, no slow crank, no beeps, but I am stranded and car will not start.

The 1st time this happened, not sure what else to do, so hooked Jumper cables from another car for 10 minutes, and Jag started afterward. (yet battery should not have been low to begin with)

2nd time: Thought "I was just driving this 15 minutes ago" battery should not be down... what else may be wrong ??
Looked around, did not see bad fuse anywhere. Considered "maybe this is related to bad status of alarm system"
got back out of car, locked the XJ6 (with key), waited 30 seconds, unlocked car (with key) got in, and car started normally.
So, Thought: this is odd, but "I've figured out the problem... just reset the car alarm"

Now it's Three days later, and the car has me stranded again.
I was just driving the car for 20 minutes, went into grocery store for 20 minutes, came back out, and Jag won't start.
No clicks, no problem indications, just won't start.
Other electrical accessories indicate Battery is OK/charged... radio/windows work.
Volt meter on dash reads 12v. I have tried getting out of car & locking/unlocking to reset the alarm...
(alarm on/off beeps sound normal) but car will not start.
The gear shift is securely in park position, and [P] glows red...
I Have tried jiggling the gear shift, to activate sensitive switch... can hear solenoid under gearshift 'release' when stepping on brake.
There should be no reason for inertia switch to be tripped or cause a problem. (although have not found 'inertia reset switch' above right footwell space)
Yet it's now near midnight, and I'm 40 miles from home...
needing to figure out the 'quirks' of my XJ6, and how to persuade its alarm system to reset
(if that's the problem) and allow engine to start.

What suggestions do people have?
I cannot continue to drive this car, if it leaves me stranded every few weeks.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:16 AM
Received 12,725 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Hi AtlantaJoe,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! I'm sorry to hear your car is misbehaving. There are many possible causes of your symptoms, but the first one that comes to mind is the Starter Relay, which is mounted near the air cleaner housing in the front left part of the engine bay (viewed from the driver's seat). It's on the left end of a row of four relays. You might try swapping it with the relay next to it (which is for the heater pump).

If you haven't studied the mountain of information compiled by aholbro1 at this thread, it will help you with additional possible causes to rule out:

Gentlemen: (No)Start Your Engines!!!

Please keep us informed.

Also, since we're a friendly group, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jag and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

MountainMan (06-05-2015)