XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

'97 XJ6 L Lumbar button

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '97 XJ6 L Lumbar button

I have an odd issue with the driver's side lumbar button ('97 XJ6). If I hit the button to inflate the lumbar, nothing happens. If I press it to deflate, it starts to deflate, but then stops and the motor kicks in to inflate it. The lumbar is highly inflated and I cannot deflate it.

I have an odd issue with the driver's side lumbar button ('97 XJ6). If I hit the button to inflate the lumbar, nothing happens. If I press it to deflate, it starts to deflate, but then stops and the motor kicks in to inflate it. The lumbar is highly inflated and I cannot deflate it.

(I originally posted this in the 'modern' XJ6 forum by mistake - I overlooked the year range of that forum.)

Originally Posted by 84misfit
You could also check the relay under the seat or the switch may have gone bad
OK. Thanks. I'll try checking out the fuse and switch.

Last edited by GGG; 05-10-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kanjag
Try to reset it by pulling the fuse

Old 05-04-2014, 05:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to reset it by pulling the fuse

Old 05-10-2014, 12:46 PM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

I've merged your identical posts about this issue from X350 and X305 forums.

Graham

Old 05-10-2014, 08:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to sound stupid here but where is the lumber button on the seat ?

Old 05-11-2014, 02:38 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpio stu
Sorry to sound stupid here but where is the lumber button on the seat ?
Stu,

Depending on spec, it's either a manual wheel adjuster:

'97 XJ6 L Lumbar button-lumbar-1.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

or a button in the switchpack:

'97 XJ6 L Lumbar button-lumbar-2.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

I had a 1997 XJ Sport 3.2 and it had the wheel but I think your Executive spec will have the fully electric seats.

Graham

Old 05-11-2014, 06:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks graham I've found it !!

Trending Topics

Old 05-13-2014, 10:11 PM

I'm pretty sure the switch is OK. I took it out, cleaned, it stuck it back in and does the same thing. The deflate button starts to deflate the bag, then, a moment later, the motor kicks in and re-inflates it - mighty odd.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Thinking I might be able to help I took a peek at the diagrams. The switch has some zener diodes and transistors. So much for a quick answer from the likes of me. Transistors is electronics. My brain stops at electrics

The pump itself has a pressure switch and a solenoid valve. The latter presumably opens to deflate the bladder and the former presumably cuts off the pump motor at x-pressure. I'm inclined to say that both are working but are being commanded incorrectly....which takes us back to the switch.

I dunno.

Sorry I couldn't help

Cheers
DD

Old 05-14-2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
The pump itself has a pressure switch and a solenoid valve. The latter presumably opens to deflate the bladder and the former presumably cuts off the pump motor at x-pressure. I'm inclined to say that both are working but are being commanded incorrectly....which takes us back to the switch.
OK. That's some good thinking. Hmm... I know the pump works... and it will 'try' to deflate... But when it deflates something tells it to stop and re-inflate - and not just a little! It'll keep going even after letting off the button.

I've pressed the deflate button for a fraction of a second and it'll deflate a little. I can repeat that... deflate a tiny bit. But if I deflate 'too much' (either hold the deflate button too long or press it quickly a few times) eventually the inflate motor will kick in. Its like there's something telling it that the lumbar has to be stay between 95% and 100% capacity. Has me scratching my bald head.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:30 AM

Here's an image (hopefully) showing relay locations and I have a question in the image... Its kind of a big image, but can anyone help me clarify if I'm identifying the correct relay for the driver's seat lumbar?

Old 05-17-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by kanjag
Here's an image (hopefully) showing relay locations and I have a question in the image... Its kind of a big image, but can anyone help me clarify if I'm identifying the correct relay for the driver's seat lumbar?

It seems that in order to get that link to work, you might have to open it up in a new window. At the bottom of the image I've circled in red what I THINK might be the relay in question. But, I'm not quite clear on whether that is indeed the relay for the driver's lumbar. Does anyone know?

Old 05-17-2014, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

I don't think that is a relay for the driver seat. It is labelled "Rear Seat Lumbar" and from looking at the wiring diagrams it appears that only the rear left seat has a relay (????). You can confirm by pulling it (if you have one) and see if the Lumbar still works.

For the front Lumbar there only appears to be +ve supply to the switch from the Seat Control module, and ground. The pump is only connected to the Lumbar switch.

I suggest you have an issue with either the switch or the pump. I'd suggest trying to connect a meter to the pump and measuring volts/amps while you cycle through the issue you have. You may be able to determine if when the inflate kicks in whether there is a change in output from the switch or whether the pump unit is actually making the decision on it's own accord. That's all I can come up with.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by b1mcp
I don't think that is a relay for the driver seat. It is labelled "Rear Seat Lumbar" and from looking at the wiring diagrams it appears that only the rear left seat has a relay (????). You can confirm by pulling it (if you have one) and see if the Lumbar still works.

For the front Lumbar there only appears to be +ve supply to the switch from the Seat Control module, and ground. The pump is only connected to the Lumbar switch.

I suggest you have an issue with either the switch or the pump. I'd suggest trying to connect a meter to the pump and measuring volts/amps while you cycle through the issue you have. You may be able to determine if when the inflate kicks in whether there is a change in output from the switch or whether the pump unit is actually making the decision on it's own accord. That's all I can come up with.
OK. Thanks for the info. My auto skill set is non-existent (though this car might force me to learn), so I might end up at the mechanic with this one. At-least I'll be able to give him some background info.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:52 PM

Well, I was skeptical about it being a bad switch. I'd taken it out and cleaned it - twice. I pulled out and checked the related fuses as well. I finally bought a new seat switch on ebay (found one for less than $20) and... looks like that fixed it! So, thanks to all of you who pointed me in the right direction - the switch. That seems to have done it!