XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

alarm sounding at random

Old 03-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default alarm sounding at random

happened twice since yesterday. I'm in sunny SoCal, but it rained pretty hard the last few days, so I'm thinking moisture somewhere...

Also, driver's side door isn't opening from the inside handle since a few months after I replaced the handle/cable assembly, and the driver's side lock hasn't been operating correctly with the remote, only with the key.

I have a feeling I didn't get the cable seated properly and that's what is giving me the problems with the lock, but could I be looking in the same spot for the alarm issue?

It seems to me the for the alarm to just randomly go off it has to think a door was opened, or ignition was operated, or car was towed away, right?

I found the Jaguar Security System document that describes how to troubleshoot the different sensors, but it doesn't actually describe the location of theses sensors with any detail, so I'm kind of lost....

HELP!!!!

In the meantime, I'm going to rip the door panel off the driver's side and try to get the handle/lock thing resolved....

Old 03-28-2012, 03:45 PM

Ok. got the handle cable situated. The rubber grommet wasn't seated in assembly correctly. So now the door opens from the inside and unlocks the other doors.

but the door lock is not locking with the remote. It unlocks with the remote, and locks and unlocks with the key or the pull. When I lock with the remote, the lock pull doesn't show any signs of movement and the rest of the doors unlock/lock 3 times by themselves. I can hear the mechanism functioning so it has power... stumped.

I'm confident I have the handle cable correctly installed.

Wonder if this is related to the alarm setting itself off....? or separate issue....

In the meantime, is there a way to lock the doors without arming the alarm system so it doesn't go off until I'm sure the issue is resolved?

Old 03-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Door/alarm issues

If you're happy that the problem isnt with the cable, then you may have a suspect door lock actuator. This is a small solenoid type device fitted to the lock inside the door. It may need a clean up, check connections or replacement. If it is malfunctioning, the security system regards a door as being open and so sounds the alarm. maybe just to be sure though, disconnect the canle from the lock and then try locking with the fob. I had the same issue with a replacement cable that seemed to be just a tiny bit tight/short and wouldnt allow the drivers door to lock. Everything locked/unlocked 3 times, then finally locked, except for the drivers door. Changed the cable and no problems since.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've figured out that if I lock the door with the key and the alarm beeps, it won't go off randomly. But if I lock the door and all locks lock/unlock 3 times, the alarm may go off. So I guess it thinks the door is open.

I was hoping you could clarify a bit for me:

the replacement cable you talk about, is that the door handle cable or electrical connection?

When I first replaced the door handle cable it worked fine for a couple of months, but I didn't install the rubber grommet correctly into the bracket it's supposed to go in. It eventually jammed up wouldn't allow me to unlock the door from the inside with the pull and it wouldn't auto-unlock the other doors. It's been like that for a couple of months. But now that the door handle cable is installed correctly, it's no longer an issue.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Dorr lock

The replacement cable I referred to was the actual "pull" cable attached to the door pull/handle. When I got my car it came with a replacement cable and pull assembly, as the original ( drivers door) chrome pull was tarnished and flaky. When I swapped them over, my problems began. It seemed that the new cable was just a little too tight/ short and wouldnt allow the lock to operate, so I fitted the original cable and all was well. I was suggesting that you unhook this cable and try locking the doors with the fob and see what happens. If it works, then therein lies your problem. If not, then it may be electrical, as in the lock actuator, buried inside the door alongside the locking mechanism (behind the outer door handle) Hope this clarifies and good luck.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:58 PM

thanks for the clarification. I'll have to pick up some new retaining clips before I take the door panel off again, think I only have 3 left that haven't broke.