XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

All gauges inop

Old 02-12-2017, 01:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default All gauges inop

My latest problem, all gauges inop speedo, tach, and eng warning lights do not come on when ignition turned on. Background lighting works and car starts and runs fine.I looked at the instr cluster fuses under the lt rear seat and an airbag fuse in the truck,all intact. connectors on back side of cluster are seated. Two days ago I had an airbag fault light illum I assumed it was the clock spring due to the fact that I have had a clicking sound in the steering wheel when turning now no warnings at all. I don't have access to any wire prints till tues night so as far as chasing wires goes I am at a stand still. Any thoughts? Could the airbag module cause this. I also have a heater/ac error I guess because of the loss of input from the cluster. Thanks for looking.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:09 PM
Received 12,719 Likes on 6,372 Posts

Hi family truckster,

For those who would like to help, it would be great if you would share the year and model of your Jaguar, perhaps by adding it to your signature line so others don't have to ask. That way we can review the correct schematics to try to give you accurate input.

Gus has many of the Electrical Guides posted at his website, jagrepair.com, that you can access by computer or smartphone.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
family truckster (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Wonder if your Illumination Control Module (LXF6490AA) is messing up.

Last edited by Qvhk; 02-13-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi family truckster,

For those who would like to help, it would be great if you would share the year and model of your Jaguar, perhaps by adding it to your signature line so others don't have to ask. That way we can review the correct schematics to try to give you accurate input.

Gus has many of the Electrical Guides posted at his website, jagrepair.com, that you can access by computer or smartphone.

Cheers,

Don
Sorry thought it was in there, anyhow my car is a 1997 xj6l w/4.0ltr eng non supercharged

Don B (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 365 Posts

It sounds like one of the two connectors to the instrument pack may have come loose. The instrument pack is easy to remove, just four screws, so easy to check before pursuing more complex causes. There is a good photographic guide online.

family truckster (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 01:08 PM

I removed and reconnected both no help

Old 02-13-2017, 10:32 PM
Received 12,719 Likes on 6,372 Posts

family truckster,

It sounds like you're going to have to do some detective work, since the inputs for vehicle speed, engine rpm and others come from different sources, and the most likely point where they come together is at the electrical connectors on the back of the Instrument Cluster or inside the IC itself. The Electrical Guide will be helpful, and you can download it at the link below, courtesy of Gus and his website, jagrepair.com:

1997 X300 Electrical Guide

Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don

Old 02-14-2017, 11:19 AM

FIXED!! .Thank you all for your replies. Big thank you to Don B for telling me about jagrepairs and another big thank you to Gus for the site, I could not have gotten my car fixed today without those wire prints. I checked all the grounds and was certain that was the trouble nope grounds were good.I had already cked all the fuses and they were good.Now ckd power into the instr cluster found no powerin ignition position 1. pulled aux power relay in truck found to be faulty (sticking) gave it a few calibrated blows and now all operational.I will be replacing the relay as soon as I can source a new one but for now I am just happy to have found the fault, Thanks again, Steve Sullivan.

Don B (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 12:30 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Only a jaguar can have its instrument panel fixed by bashing something in the trunk! Lol. Glad it's all fixed.