XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Another door window issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 03:32 AM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Another door window issue

Hello Chaps.

Got an odd one on my the front passenger door on my 1996 Sovereign.

Recently I came to the car to find the front passenger window would not open from either passenger or driver switches but I could hear what I presume is a relay clicking associated with pressing down. Next day the battery was flat. Linking the two I pulled the fuse for the left hand windows and no more battery drain. Putting the fuse back in I can hear a regular (every 10 seconds) click from the passenger window even with the car locked and the key out of the ignition.

Yesterday I had the passenger door panel off and removed the switch, all looked fine (I'm no expert but wouldn't see any obvious shorts). When I reattached the passenger switch there was no regular clicking and the window could be lowered! Excellent I thought, maybe it's had a word with itself, but no. Now when I press up the window rolls up and even if you let go of the switch it keeps going (like auto close) it then won't come down again and the regular click (thermal cutover?) returns.

Sorry for the long post, clearly something is forcing the window to close and holding it there but I'm not sure what.

Andrew.

Last edited by LockNumber25; 08-28-2017 at 03:35 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

I faintly remember seeing that there is a reset of the window,mirror , and seat ECUs by pressing certain buttons on the radio control head . Not the whole car " Hard Reset " . What I found on mine was one of the wires on the driver side control unit had a wire pushed back out of the connector loosing contact . Simply pushed back into connector body and relocked . You can give each wire a slight tug or see that the wire position locking bar is not engaged . To manually apply power to close the window you can pull the motor wires out of the door panel front hole and drive it with a battery charger knowing that it is a high current arcing hazard .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 08-28-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:39 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply Lady Penelope. I found a window reset procedure but I think that is for the one-touch open/close, I don't believe the x300 has that for the passenger side? The procedure was to hold open until you hear a click then hold close until you hear a click. I tried it anyway but no joy. I'll be sure to check all the wires in the connection block just in case I missed something there. It's odd though because the window is fine until you hit close on either switch, then it closes and doesn't stop even if you release the switch. Once closed it's like the button is still pressed closed (you can't open the window) and I keep hearing clicks (thermal cut-out maybe?) and the only way to 'reset' it is to remove the passenger switch and then plug it back in again. After that all is fine again until you press close, then it all repeats.

Last edited by LockNumber25; 08-28-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

If the behaviour is the same whether the master switch or the passenger door switch is used then it is likely the relay in the passenger door switch is not playing ball.

The switches in the rear doors are the same as the passenger door so swap one and see if that fixes the problem.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:44 PM

Thanks b1mcp - are the relays actually located in the doors? I had the panel and foam off today but couldn't see much inside there.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

The up and down realys are an integral part of the switch pack on each door. So by swapping a switch you are swapping the relays.

The following users liked this post:
smartobject (09-06-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 03:50 PM

Got it - thank you, much appreciated. Will take a look tomorrow.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:35 AM

Just to close this. A new switch pack off eBay did the trick so pretty sure it was the relay.