XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Automatic sunroof - not working?

Old 06-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Automatic sunroof - not working?

I know when I lock my doors and arm the car, the windows automatically roll up. With my 96xj6 the sunroof would also close automatically.
But now with my 97xjr the sunroof doesn't close automatically and also it doesn't line up correctly when closed because I have to manually line it up.

Is there a control module for this feature somewhere that's gone bad?

Old 06-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question Only with the key, right?

In your case, they all close when you lock it with the key, correct?

Mine closes all the windows/sunroof when the key is held in the lock position in the drivers door. Just curious, because I didn't think it had this function with the remote fob.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
In your case, they all close when you lock it with the key, correct?

Mine closes all the windows/sunroof when the key is held in the lock position in the drivers door. Just curious, because I didn't think it had this function with the remote fob.

The windows all close when I hold the key in the locked position but the sunroof I have to manually close before I step out. With the xj6, I just had to either push the close switch once and it would fully close or I would lock the car and the windows/sunroof would all close while I walked away. With the xjr only the windows do it but I also have to hold the key in the locked position, if not, the windows stop rolling up.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Apologies, I'm not following your description....

1) Are you saying that on your XJ6 the sunroof would automatically fully close with a single press of the close button? My 97 XJR will not do that. The sunroof neither auto opens or auto closes. I have to hold the sunroof open or close button to close the sunroof. Not sure which is normal.

2) Are you saying that when locking and arming the XJ6 with the remote key fob all of your windows and sunroof would automatically close? My 97 XJR only does this (as far as I know... will go test) with the key turned to "lock" and held in the drivers door.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Apologies, I'm not following your description....

1) Are you saying that on your XJ6 the sunroof would automatically fully close with a single press of the close button? My 97 XJR will not do that. The sunroof neither auto opens or auto closes. I have to hold the sunroof open or close button to close the sunroof. Not sure which is normal.

2) Are you saying that when locking and arming the XJ6 with the remote key fob all of your windows and sunroof would automatically close? My 97 XJR only does this (as far as I know... will go test) with the key turned to "lock" and held in the drivers door.

Both actually. There is nothing automatic on the 97xjr except automatic open of the sunroof with a single press of the switch but no automatic close.

While on the xj6, all windows and sunroof automatically close with the key turning to lock I don't even have to hold it in the lock position (although there are times I leave windows and sunroof cracked open)

The following users liked this post:
Suede (06-21-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 03:46 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbBolivar
I know when I lock my doors and arm the car, the windows automatically roll up. With my 96xj6 the sunroof would also close automatically.
But now with my 97xjr the sunroof doesn't close automatically and also it doesn't line up correctly when closed because I have to manually line it up.

Is there a control module for this feature somewhere that's gone bad?
I know my 95 Xj only closes all the windows with key, but not sunroof.

In the console on the roof there is a module with small wheels, if these are out of sync I believe the sunroof doesnt close automatically anymore, it will then just close and goes down to fully open, or opens vent mode. You would have to stop the sunroof manually with the button to close it in time.

Is this what is happening to you?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
13-34.pdf (76.0 KB, 331 views)
Old 06-21-2014, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Maraud
I know my 95 Xj only closes all the windows with key, but not sunroof. In the console on the roof there is a module with small wheels, if these are out of sync I believe the sunroof doesnt close automatically anymore, it will then just close and goes down to fully open, or opens vent mode. You would have to stop the sunroof manually with the button to close it in time. Is this what is happening to you?
Yes that is exactly what's happening.
How would I sync those wheels up?

Old 06-21-2014, 04:07 PM

Yes that is exactly what's happening.
How would I sync those wheels up?

Did you actually have a look @ pdf and read it?

"Turn wheel A, Illustration 4 until the two white dots (arrows, inset, Illustration
4) can be seen in the upper and lower openings. Align the dots."

* I add a file for you in the last post.

AlbBolivar (06-21-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 04:21 PM

Did you actually have a look @ pdf and read it? "Turn wheel A, Illustration 4 until the two white dots (arrows, inset, Illustration 4) can be seen in the upper and lower openings. Align the dots." * I add a file for you in the last post.
Thank you for that. Since I'm on my iPad using a mobile app, I can't see PDF files but
I actually did a search for anything sunroof related in the quick links but I guess I skipped over it.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:43 PM
Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts

Both actually. There is nothing automatic on the 97xjr except automatic open of the sunroof with a single press of the switch but no automatic close.

While on the xj6, all windows and sunroof automatically close with the key turning to lock I don't even have to hold it in the lock position (although there are times I leave windows and sunroof cracked open)
Can one of the techs confirm this??? My sunroof will auto-open with a single click of the overhead button, and auto-close with a single click of the overhead button. Locking the car with the Fob has no effect on the sunroof what-so-ever. If all windows are down and the sunroof is open, then locking the car with the key will automatically close all. I always assumed all of these events were the 'Normal' operation.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Suede
Can one of the techs confirm this??? My sunroof will auto-open with a single click of the overhead button, and auto-close with a single click of the overhead button. Locking the car with the Fob has no effect on the sunroof what-so-ever. If all windows are down and the sunroof is open, then locking the car with the key will automatically close all. I always assumed all of these events were the 'Normal' operation.
I followed the PDF file that was uploaded in this thread and now my sunroof is working as it should. One push, fully open. One push, fully close. I don't have a keyfob so I can't confirm or deny that what yours is doing is correct.

Now the only little thing that's kind of an annoyance is having to stand there and keep the key in the locked position and wait for the windows and sunroof to close. On the 96xj6 I used to just hold the key in the locked position for about a full second and all windows/sunroof would roll up as I walked away.

al_roethlisberger (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 05:35 AM

I followed the PDF file that was uploaded in this thread and now my sunroof is working as it should. One push, fully open. One push, fully close.

Awesome you fixed it!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I know my 95 Xj only closes all the windows with key, but not sunroof.
If I hold the key the key to lock door of my early 95, it closes everything.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member

Really glad you posted this question as I was wondering if/why my sunroof wasn't auto opening and closing. I was pretty sure it was supposed to, and your post piqued my interest to re-read the owners manual which confirmed it should be operating that way.

Now I know what to look at to get it working right again