XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Automatic Trunk Release Doesn't Work

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 05:14 AM
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Automatic Trunk Release Doesn't Work

Hey everyone,

I've got a '97 XJ6, and all of a sudden the automatic trunk relaease button doesn't work, and neither does the dashboard trunk release button. I have to actually get out my key to open up the trunk. I tried changing the corresponding fuse (F8 in the luggage compartment - "luggage compartment remote release"), but that didn't work.

Any suggestions? And is that the correct circuit?

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2008, 05:30 AM
Default RE: Automatic Trunk Release Doesn't Work

I forgot to mention that I also made sure the valet switch in the center console was not pressed down. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

open your trunk and see if the trunk lights work. and if they don't then the trunk switch is broken.. it wont open your trunk if it thinks its already opened.

The following users liked this post:
Dkbjagxk8 (08-30-2016)
Old 02-16-2008, 03:14 PM

Jag_genius,

Thank you, you were exactly right. How do I replace the trunk switch? In the "relay identification" part of my manual, it says that the luggage compartment release relay is in a violet case. I pulled out the only thing plugged into the violet case - it's a 12v/20a Jaguar part with 5 metal prongs. Is that it? And if so, where can I order a replacement?

I really appreciate all your help.

James Tootle (09-03-2016)
Old 02-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

no that isn't it.. you have to open the trunk and remover the latch on the lid..remove 2 clips then 2 torxz then the latch comes down and you will see a little microswitch on the back of the latch .. just pull it off .. becareful putting the new one in they don't like to come out again without braking.

Dkbjagxk8 (08-30-2016)
Old 11-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I swapped the switch today. I had the same issue. No lights, automatic trunk open didn't work, trunk open light stayed on.
After replacing the switch the trunk lights now work, but the power unlock doesn't work and the trunk open light stayed on.
This all happened the other day, so I don't think it is a broken wire (I have checked them all) and I checked the fuses. Any ideas?

Old 11-02-2012, 04:35 PM

Solved my own problem. There is a little lever that pushes the button on the switch that I replaced. It was broken off. Fortunately I had a spare latching mechanism. Working perfectly now.

Dkbjagxk8 (08-30-2016)
Old 11-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Question

Originally Posted by jag_genius
open your trunk and see if the trunk lights work. and if they don't then the trunk switch is broken.. it wont open your trunk if it thinks its already opened.
Hey jag_genius,

I've got a 1995 XJR. The trunk release button (on the trunk) doesn't work. The release button on the steering column pod opens the trunk just fine. Inserting the key in the trunk and turning it opens it fine too.

The trunk lights work.

Does this sound like I need to replace the "microswitch" you referred to above?

Old 11-15-2012, 03:42 AM
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by WaterLew
Hey jag_genius,

I've got a 1995 XJR. The trunk release button (on the trunk) doesn't work. The release button on the steering column pod opens the trunk just fine. Inserting the key in the trunk and turning it opens it fine too.

The trunk lights work.

Does this sound like I need to replace the "microswitch" you referred to above?
Doesn't sound like it to me. If the switch was broken, I don't think the dash button would work. Sounds like the wiring to the boot button to me - it's a common enough problem that mine suffers from when it feels like it! If mine stopped working entirely I'd be perfectly happy to use the dash button or the key - it's a bit annoying not knowing whether it'll work each time though!

Dkbjagxk8 (08-30-2016)
Old 11-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Question

Originally Posted by Ziggy
Doesn't sound like it to me. If the switch was broken, I don't think the dash button would work. Sounds like the wiring to the boot button to me - it's a common enough problem that mine suffers from when it feels like it! If mine stopped working entirely I'd be perfectly happy to use the dash button or the key - it's a bit annoying not knowing whether it'll work each time though!
Thanks Ziggy. I haven't felt like taking the upholstery loose and disassembling/troubleshooting the latch area of mine to see if there's some type of contact I could replace/fix. Have you ever looked at yours?

Old 11-16-2012, 02:36 AM
Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

The micro switch could be the issue.

I had the same problem on mine and a new second hand switch solved it.

Dkbjagxk8 (08-30-2016)
Old 11-16-2012, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Doesn't sound like it to me. If the switch was broken, I don't think the dash button would work.
That's not logically consistent as the dash switch has no dependency on the microswitch.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:39 AM
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
That's not logically consistent as the dash switch has no dependency on the microswitch.
Interesting! Any idea why the O.P's dash switch wasn't working then?

Old 08-30-2016, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All,
The above discussion is great. I'm having the same problem. Now I'll try to accomplish the same. Thanks!
Doug
98 XK8 BRG Convertible

Old 08-31-2016, 02:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

The micro switch is definitely the leading contender. A known weakness, my local dealer sold "dozens and dozens" back in the day.
The fact the dash button releases the lock suggests the wiring is ok, and the lock itself works on the key as well as the dash button.
I replaced my micro switch with an identical one from maplins which cost less than £2, a large saving on the jaguar cost! A fiddly but not difficult task to replace.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:09 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by countyjag
The micro switch is definitely the leading contender. A known weakness, my local dealer sold "dozens and dozens" back in the day.
The fact the dash button releases the lock suggests the wiring is ok, and the lock itself works on the key as well as the dash button.
I replaced my micro switch with an identical one from maplins which cost less than £2, a large saving on the jaguar cost! A fiddly but not difficult task to replace.

I am having a similar problem. The trunk release button on the dash doesn't work but neither does the one on the trunk. I do however have lights in the trunk and the fuse is good. Any Ideas?

Old 08-31-2016, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,049 Likes on 2,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Wright
I am having a similar problem. The trunk release button on the dash doesn't work but neither does the one on the trunk. I do however have lights in the trunk and the fuse is good. Any Ideas?
Likely a broken wire. Look at the right hinge, remove the trim piece and examine the wires.

Mine had a number of problems: only the dash switch worked. I soldered a number of broken wires, and then had to change the plinth "cats face" push button, as that was also bad.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:57 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Interesting! Any idea why the O.P's dash switch wasn't working then?
I know for a fact from my own car. The button on the dash is barely ever used, most of the times it needs some contact spray or cleaning.

I had the same issue that the button didnt work, after pressing it alot of times and pressing it really hard made it work suddenly. I removed the skislope, opened up the clock panel and cleaned all the contact and buttons.

Now with a slight touch it works as a charm. The button for the hazard lights didnt work at all, after the cleaning it works great too.