XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Beginning my investigation

Old 08-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginning my investigation

I have landed here because I have been on a search for a car.

I have considered a late 90's E320 because I used to work at a MB shop and still get some perks. ( I work on my cars) However, the fact that the transmission will most likely need to be replaced scares me at around 3k for used unit.

I have driven a 1989 Range Rover since the mid 90's. I am a little strange. My wife drives a 1990 Volvo 240 wagon that we bought when our 1995 E320 got hit and should have been totaled. We still have the Volvo 60k later and love it.

So here I am. It sounds like the 95-97 XJ6 is a good automobile and it seems there are still low mileage examples around. The only Jaguars that I have experience with are from the eighties. We used to work on them at the MB shop, but stopped because chances are something would break while it was in the shop.

My question is what parts are expensive on an 95-97 XJ6. Engines and transmissions used, seem plentiful and cheap. I saw a set of hoses for $300.00, which seems pricey. An expansion tank is $300.00. I could not find a price on a radiator. I just cannot see that parts would be a lot more than Rover parts.

Any tips or links would be appreciated. I am leaning toward a 95 just because I would not have to deal with emission testing. I am located in NC.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,742 Likes on 7,097 Posts

I haven't yet come across any repairs needing stupid-expensive parts.

There are indeed quite a few cooling hoses and the lower radiator "octopus" hose is quite an affair so a kit would be pricey, yes. Other "routine service" parts are reasonably priced.

You're not likely to need any internal engine work. The ZF transmissions seem to go on forever. I haven't heard of radiator problems in particular but I'm sure they're expensive if you need one. Check for diff/rear wheel bearing problems.

Shocks can get expensive. They and suspension bushings seem to need attention at 100k miles so that's something to watch for.

Starters, water pumps, alternators, etc all seem to be reasonably/realistically priced. It pays to shop around a bit, of course.

Good cars, much better than older Jags from a repair standpoint. Age and mileage eventually take a toll so I can't quite call X300s a "drive it and forget it" car...but they come close.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

All the above that Doug's stated and, you may have issues with the steering wheel tilt function, and the seat memory, and a leaking rear view mirror. Of course, you could very well already buy a car that has had these issues fixed. Oh, and the clock may be broken.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the responses. From what you are saying and the searching I did on this site, it sounds like an XJ6 fits what I am looking to purchase. They seem safe and reliable. I do not mind little things and maintenance as long as I do not have strange electrical issues that leave me stranded or expensive transmissions to replace.

Did they make a sport version besides the XJR? Such as an XJ6 with the XJR suspension. I would prefer to stay with a normally aspirated motor.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

There was a normally aspirated "sport" version but I don't think the USA got any of 'em. Others will chime in if I have that wrong.

It would be neat to have one....

Cheers
DD

Old 08-18-2010, 03:04 PM

It sounds like the XJ6 gets much better gas mileage than the XJR. I would assume the XJR has bigger swaybars, so a set should be available off a parts car. The swaybars and springs would probably make a big difference. Overall, I just need to go drive an XJ6 and see what I think. The only ones around here at the moment are XJ8's and I do not what to go that route.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Timing is everything. I just sold my 97 XJ6 Vanden Plas last weekend to a couple in MD for $6,000. Lots of new things over the last three years but looked great and ran even better... Good luck in your search!

Old 08-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

The R model only gets slightly worse gas mileage, but it really does matter how you drive it. I've gotten 16 mpg around town in my car. Normally the average is 18-19 with 22 on the highway.

You can fit R model stuff (for lack of a better word) to a normal Xj, but it is more expensive. If you're going to do that, I'd do it as your car needs repairs.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

My $.02-
I would expand my consideration to include the XJ8 after MY 02. Nikasill, ZF front hub problems, and timing chains were all fixed. I have both and love driving either.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:35 AM

At what point do the cars become so complicated that I would have take it to the dealer to have it serviced? I figured that 95-97 models would be relatively simple to work on. I want a newer car, but I do not want all the bells and whistles of most newer cars. I figured 02 and newer would be a very complicated car.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:44 AM

I also do not like to drive cars that have much monetary value. 7k-8k is about the max. If /when someone runs into me and the accident causes significant damage, I want the car totaled. I have been down that road too many times. I am currently in litigation with Nationwide from an accident that occurred back in 2007.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

You're on the right track.

The 95-97 XJ6 (X300 series as they are commonly tagged) still has a fairly high degree of DIY friendliness. Later models...not so much. Or that's my impression, at least. That's one reason I plan on keeping mine even though I've been sorely tempted by the V8 supercharged models

Cheers
DD

Old 08-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not exceptionally mechanically inclined, but I've been fine with doing most everything myself on my car. Except the diff fluid and bearings. It's just not something that I wanted to tackle. Really, you'll be fine. I would recommend trying to find a local indie mechanic in case you've got some issues that you wouldn't feel comfortable tackling yourself.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile maybe?

Higth Mark, Poor Boy here. I love my X300, and have had only a couple of problems with it. The first was a worn AC belt broke, and the second was in the tilt and telescoping wheel. You can see two views of it in my avatars. If you are interested contact me by PM and I can send you more pics and give you the ridiculously low price. I am only selling because of health issues. Thanks, Poor Boy

Old 08-24-2010, 07:20 AM

I only have six posts. I believe that I have to have ten before I can send a PM. I am not sure if that means that I can receive PM's. Please send me some information on the car.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:38 AM

PM sent?

Old 08-27-2010, 08:57 PM

I looked at a 97 XJ6L this evening with 78k. Asking price $5900.00 The car looks OK, but the clock was bad, the cup holder was broken and the airbag light was on. The SRS light concerns me the most.

The entire car has been painted and I am not impressed with the quality of the work.

The good news, this is the first one I have gotten to drive and I really liked the way the car drove. Much sportier than I thought it would be and the steering felt great. I think I would prefer the shorter wheelbase better, but I could live with a lwb.

The hunt is on.

MM

Old 08-28-2010, 02:45 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Mark. The SRS light and Airbag is probably just a dirty contact. Mine used to be on but someone on the forum pointed me to the connection being dirty as a common occurance. I dropped the dash panel (4 screws) under the steering wheel and sprayed the plug-ins with contact cleaner, plugged them back in and problem solved. I can't remember who produced the information and I don't remember who posted the problem. Maybe someone can chime in and let you know. Coop