XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Biggest pain in my A$$ today... (RANT and RAVE)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Biggest pain in my A$$ today... (RANT and RAVE)

But I feel really accomplished. Here is the scenario. My tires were starting to sit with some negative Camber (inside of tires was rubbing), so I thought no big deal I'll get to it when I get to it. Well apparently I let it go for too long. My lower control arm bushings were about 98% disintegrated and I blew 3 tires from all the negative camber that had been happening (my dad estimated at least an inch on both sides) so I took it to his shop to replace the bushings.

Holy %&*$^% was that a pain in the butt. I really wish I would have taken pictures but we were so tied up with getting the control arms off, not getting killed by the giant springs etc. that I said screw it. Well about 4 hours later we completed the task. Bushings cost about $50 for both sets of front and back lower control arm bushings. Not too shabby if you ask me, and I wouldn't even want to see the bill if I had sent it to the dealer.

The following users liked this post:
Lucielle (10-27-2021)
Old 11-03-2010, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Roadhouse- Congrats on the fix BUT, yiou need to inspect your car much more often for all kinds of hazards. Driving a 15 year old car without doing that is irresponsible to yourself and others.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  19.3 KB

well done roadhouse.....sounds like you got yourself some satisfaction there and I hope the car is now all good!
Frequent checks can help to avoid costly owntime / repairs but I'm sure you already knew that.....shame you didn't manage any pics, maybe on the next job and do a full write up

Old 11-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Roadhouse- Congrats on the fix BUT, yiou need to inspect your car much more often for all kinds of hazards. Driving a 15 year old car without doing that is irresponsible to yourself and others.
When I bought the car I took it to my dad and he informed me that the bushings would be needing to be replaced very soon. That was at the end of August. I just got caught up with too many things and forgot about it.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I get caught up in a few things myself and seem to ignore some of the other perhaps even more important things. I've been ignoring my transmission fluid. I've been advised that it looks fine, and smells fine, but since I don't know when it was last changed (at least not in the past 17,000 miles) I'd like to get at it for piece of mind.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:20 AM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Im going to have my mechanic change out the trans. filter and pan gasket tomorrow as well as throw in a couple new belts. Also will be having an all around inspection done to see what problems I might run into down the line. There's nothing like spending some $ and/or time on some preventative maintenance. I do it for myself and for the safety of others like sparkenzap wisely stated

Last edited by hawaiianjag; 11-04-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Lucielle (10-27-2021)
Old 11-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadhouse
But I feel really accomplished. Here is the scenario. My tires were starting to sit with some negative Camber (inside of tires was rubbing), so I thought no big deal I'll get to it when I get to it. Well apparently I let it go for too long. My lower control arm bushings were about 98% disintegrated and I blew 3 tires from all the negative camber that had been happening (my dad estimated at least an inch on both sides) so I took it to his shop to replace the bushings.

Holy %&*$^% was that a pain in the butt. I really wish I would have taken pictures but we were so tied up with getting the control arms off, not getting killed by the giant springs etc. that I said screw it. Well about 4 hours later we completed the task. Bushings cost about $50 for both sets of front and back lower control arm bushings. Not too shabby if you ask me, and I wouldn't even want to see the bill if I had sent it to the dealer.
What did you do when you changed the lower control arm bushings? Mine need to be replaced and there does not appear to be a write up anywhere on this forum. Thanks in advance.

Lucielle (10-27-2021)