XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Can anybody figure this out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Can anybody figure this out?

The car is a 1995 XJ6 3.2 litre Automatic which runs well with no hiccups, misfires or strange noises from the engine bay. That is, once she starts.
As an example, today I went out and put a fully charged battery in the trunk/book and connected it up. I got in the driver's seat and turned the key until all the dash lights came on. Turned the key a little more and the starter motor kicked in and turned the engine over at a good lick but the engine didn't fire and the rev counter didn't move more than a sixteenth of an inch off the stop.
After about 10 seconds I turned the key back to zero, waited 5 seconds and then turned the key again to the first stop. Nothing. No lights on the dash at all. Turned the key a little more and still nothing. No sound from the starter motor at all. I took the key all the way out and then tried it again with the same result. Nada.
I had nothing else to do so I tried that maybe another 4 or 5 times before the dash lights came on and when I turned the key again I got the starter to turn the engine over with lots of juice but again, the car didn't start. I tried again and this time she fired up. I kept her at 2500 revs for a few seconds and then dropped her down to 1000 and let her run for a while.
What I'm hoping is that one of you guys has maybe had this same sort of problem in the past and can tell me what it is that causes this to happen. Is it something with the battery?
Cheers,
Steve ................................

Old 03-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Have a 1997 XJ6 and had alot of the same problems,stalling, no start,cleaned thottle body,had lost orientation to the Tps as mentioned.May I sugest that you remove the crank shaft position sensor and clean it before you do anything else,in my case this settled my no start condition! Also I had no RPM movement on cranking!(in my Case I Cleaned it with electrical cleaner and replaced it with no further problems)

Just trying to save you time and bucks!

Had to get Jaguar to reorient the tps($80.00 Bucks,and well worth it to me)

Good Luck!
Eddie Timberlake

Old 03-21-2012, 08:15 PM

Thanks, eddiesue.
The fact that the rev counter hardly moved made me think that the CPS was the culprit but one thing that I failed to mention was that I had it changed about 6 months ago and the car has done less than a 1,000 miles since then.
Cheers,
Steve

Old 03-22-2012, 12:38 AM
Received 10,293 Likes on 6,812 Posts

Steve,

I am reading more of this on various sites, and it appears that the X300 has an ignition switch "electrical section" on the opposite side of the column to the key section, mmmm.

So remembering that a NO START, or IDIOT LIGHTS situation on the earlier models, was ALWAYS a direct result of dirty contacts inside the electrical section of that switch. Who can forget that switch, really hahaha.

So the fact you got NO lights on the Xmas tree, has me thinking ignition switch contact issues.

I looked at the parts book and the switch is sold as a seperated part, mmmm again, and the part # is 02LNC6507AA, and there were 4 part number changes of that switch before arriving at that number, so me thinks some issues have been had along the way, mmmm, again, damn.

Maybe it is able to be cleaned, just like the earlier units, dunno, have no issues at the moment, so not been into it.

The CTS being new, sort of eliminates it somewhat, but the lack of ign items/lights is that switch in my opinion.

Just had a thought, scary I know, but maybe that Blue relay in the RH under bonnet fuse box is having a hissy moment, they do that sometimes, and that is an Ign relay, which supplies power to the CTS among other things.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:19 PM

Thank you, Grant.
I'll write all this stuff down and give it the the mechanic.
The car is past due for its yearly MOT certificate so I can't drive it around except to take it for a pre-booked MOT test. I called a guy who will come and tow the car to his workshop and figure out what is wrong. He will then call me with a price.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:41 AM

So the mechanic turned up this morning with a spare bloke in case they needed to tow mine back to the workshop. I'd had the heavy duty battery on charge overnight and I was just putting it in place when they arrived. We had a chat about what had been going on with the car and the upshot was that I said that I wanted the car back with an MOT and the knowledge that myself and any family members could go for a drive and not have to worry about it breaking down.
Then the fun began.
The head honcho got behind the wheel and gave the key a turn. No lights on the dash at all but the dead give-away was that the courtesy light on the bottom of the door stayed OFF (the door was open). So then he fiddled around with the battery and a booster pack that he had brought with him until we saw the light come on. Turned the key to engage the starter and she fired up and ran like a dream. They then booked an MOT to comply with the law and I moved our other car off the drive so that they could get the Jag out. The Jag simply refused to re-start. It had run for at least 3 minutes just 5 minutes ago but now, zilch. The engine was turning over like a good 'un but there was no indication that it even wanted to start.
Anyway, they decided to just tow it back to the garage and we'll see what happens next.